Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM

348 posts, read 843,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you want obscure and/or interesting movies with the added bonus they are free, i recommend browsing through the public domain (copyright has expired) movies and old TV shows on archive.org. There is a ton of stuff there. Even vintage TV commercials and game shows. This stuff I don't ever remember being on DVDs or VCR tapes that much maybe because there isn't really any way to make money on them.

If you have a Roku, you can add the Nowhere TV channel and watch them directly on your TV.
I may have to look into this "Roku" you speak of. I might as well get up to date on this movie technology thing just in case the Blockbuster in Matthews goes away.

Actually now that I think about it, it would be really cool and convenient to browse the internet for the movies I want, and then just download into my 42-inch HDTV screen. I really like this idea. I just need to learn how to do it.

I don't think Netflix will work for me because you can only rent 1 movie at a time. The way I do movies is for 3-4 times a year I have a movie marathon weekend where I may watch 3 to 4 movies and that's what I loved about browsing a video store - no monthly membership, just "a la carte" videos whenever I wanted. It's not worth the $7.99 Netflix charges because I don't watch movies every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,438,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
I may have to look into this "Roku" you speak of. I might as well get up to date on this movie technology thing just in case the Blockbuster in Matthews goes away.

Actually now that I think about it, it would be really cool and convenient to browse the internet for the movies I want, and then just download into my 42-inch HDTV screen. I really like this idea. I just need to learn how to do it.

I don't think Netflix will work for me because you can only rent 1 movie at a time. The way I do movies is for 3-4 times a year I have a movie marathon weekend where I may watch 3 to 4 movies and that's what I loved about browsing a video store - no monthly membership, just "a la carte" videos whenever I wanted. It's not worth the $7.99 Netflix charges because I don't watch movies every month.

Well, if you go the "technical" way of Roku and pushing the internet through your tv, that Netflix subscription will allow you access to their library of movies from your tv. You can watch to your hearts content at that point. We use to do the one DVD out at a time from them but canceled that when the price went up and stuck with streaming only.

Thanks for the suggestion of Vudu by whomever made it above too. I'd seen that before on my tv menu and Xbox but never opened it. Just checked out their site and every movie I tried they had it for $2.99 for a standard definition rental which I thought was reasonable. Will definitely keep them in mind the next time friends are over and we are jonesing to watch a particular movie! haha

Old 11-17-2012, 02:45 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,942,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
If you get a Roku, then for $7.99 month, you can watch any of the tens of thousands of titles anytime you want and as much as you want. Netflix is just another channel on this device. There is also Amazon, Crackle, Hulu, Vudu, and many others. Some are free and you watch commercials, others you pay for but are commercial free, like Netflix.

My mom in her 70s went to Costco, bought a Roku, hooked it up herself, and now this is all that she watches. It's pretty easy to do. I think she is getting ready to cancel the cableTV part of her service for a substantial savings/month.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,452,133 times
We did this over a year ago now. We cancelled Directv ($100/mo) and got Roku boxes for our TVs and subscribed to Netflix. We also got an antenna.

We now get FREE TV and pay $7.99 for Netflix.

We also switched from post paid cell service to pre-paid and save another $100/mo.

Very freeing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you get a Roku, then for $7.99 month, you can watch any of the tens of thousands of titles anytime you want and as much as you want. Netflix is just another channel on this device. There is also Amazon, Crackle, Hulu, Vudu, and many others. Some are free and you watch commercials, others you pay for but are commercial free, like Netflix.

My mom in her 70s went to Costco, bought a Roku, hooked it up herself, and now this is all that she watches. It's pretty easy to do. I think she is getting ready to cancel the cableTV part of her service for a substantial savings/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte