Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:29 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Especially when it comes to people filing a lawsuit like this against the public.

All true!

Back to personal responsibility right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 12:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Back to the topic, This teen must have been smart enough to know which plane would take him back home but was a moron thinking hopping in a plane wheel area was a safe way to fly.
The kid either was in terminal to see which flight and time or looked this info online.

I'm sorry for the family loss not of their kid not only for that but they may felt guilty for creating situation where their boy was unhappy.

This lawsuit is stupid as this was a result of their kid choosing to do something stupid.
It would be the same if he was on the plane with a ticket and open the door in flight.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Back to the topic, This teen must have been smart enough to know which plane would take him back home but was a moron thinking hopping in a plane wheel area was a safe way to fly.
Thank you.
Too much sensitivity on the internet these days.

I really doubt the kid had any serious mental health issues.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM

128 posts, read 217,392 times
^^ This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
My friend, please rethink your harsh words.

We are talking about a teenager, a kid, somebody's son.

Teens, especially boys, can be impulsive and make very poor choices.

Some of them lack the ability to think through to a logical conclusion what the results or consequences to their actions might be.

From what I remember, this kid was new to Charlotte and lonely. He wanted to go home. He made a terrible miscalculation on how to accomplish that and paid with his life.

I cannot imagine the pain his family is enduring. And when we are in pain, we humans will lash out.

I am sure the city lawyers will defend the city adequately and others in possession of all the facts will treat the parents fairly.

Whether you like it or not, the security at the airport was WAY TOO LAX - proven by this kid's ability to even get on the tarmac.

In this day and time of terrorism, THAT is unacceptable and some penalty should have to be paid.

I wish you all well and hope we can all remember to be a little kinder going forward.

I will miss many of you here, I hope you know who you are

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM

I cant believe defending this kid like he made a bad choice by deliberately planning out which plane and jumping over a fence and taking a ride in plane wheel.

I dont think the same sympathy would be if the plane ended up crashing over his stupid moronic mistake.
The wheel could have became jammed, he could have ruptured the hydraulics or created some other hazards in that compartment.

There is cheaper alternatives, even free ones like Mega bus, hitch hiking, or become a stowaway in a box car of a train even.

His choose the ground he splattered on by making a very bad choice and thank goodness 100's on that plane made it ok with their life.

James you called it like is.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:58 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I feel very bad for his family. They have to live with this forever.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I feel very bad for his family. They have to live with this forever.
That what I mention earlier, it got to really bad for them as I am sure they are feeling guilty of moving with out finding ways for their kid to like their new home in Charlotte.

They need some closure but this lawsuit no matter how it goes will not bring them that.

Advice to any family that relocate, think about what activities to get the kids involve with so they can quickly make new friends and be involved with them to see what they think.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I have come to hate the word retarded and find it in extremely poor taste when people use it to describe a normally functioning human who does something not so smart.

Please think about the derogatory words you use and ask yourself if they are offensive to someone who can't help the way that they are.

Teens do foolish things. They expect far different outcomes than what they get often times. They think they are invincible. How many of us can look back and say, "I am surprised I am even still alive" when thinking of the things we did when we were young and not as life-smart.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It's doubtful a retarded person would have done this. It IS a tragedy but can still be idiotic. He was in ROTC which makes it more disappointing.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:36 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
I think the quote you were referring to was saying that an actual retarded/mentally challenged person would not have made the same decision that this teenager did.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:38 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
The teen died a couple of years ago so this is no longer about what he did. The dead can do no more than be dead. Was the boy a special needs (what used to be referred to as retarded) person. I don't know, but I don't think so. It took some pretty advanced abilities to break the airport's defenses and navigate onto the right plane at the right time undetected.

Instead this is now about the actions of the parents. It's their refusal to accept responsibility for what the teen did (what parents are supposed to do) and instead blame the public for it and hence sue the taxpayers for compensation.

This is the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: