Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Some take issue with proposal to fix problems with revaluation | www.wsoctv.com

Though I don't agree with Bill James much, he makes a good point here.
"It's a proposal one county commissioner is highly critical of. In a letter to Jones, Commissioner Bill James wrote public confidence in the county is so low, “many will be suspicious if existing county staff controls the process,” that county staff were "brought kicking and screaming" to the correction process and wonders why action wasn't taken if current state law allows it, saying "problems that could have been fixable a year ago are now larger and more intractable because of inaction on your part.”

Although her words are less harsh, Commissioner Jennifer Roberts agrees."

The public speaking part of tonight's hearing is going on NOW. Tune in if you want to see fireworks.

Meanwhile, this is what Cornelius said:

Commissioners object to county chief’s revaluation plans*|*CorneliusNews.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

Just in: Mecklenburg County Assessor Garrett Alexander has resigned. Accepted unanimously by the board.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Just in: Mecklenburg County Assessor Garrett Alexander has resigned. Accepted unanimously by the board.
I don't think Alexander was the only person not doing their job but it is not surprising that he stepped down. It is being reported that he is only changing positions so he will still be supported by the taxpayers... Wonder if he will get a raise from his yearly salary of approximately $122,000?

As Harry Jones always says 'the buck stops with me'. It has (once again) been proven that he is not doing his job managing our city. Why is he still employed? He must have some serious dirt on someone...

Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
These people get paid an outrageous amount of money for what they manage to accomplish.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
These people get paid an outrageous amount of money for what they manage to accomplish.
I tend to agree. People who make north of a 100k per year on the public dole ought to be VERY accountable!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I tend to agree. People who make north of a 100k per year on the public dole ought to be VERY accountable!
I agree with this statement 100%. I do not agree with allowing the same people who made this mess the opportunity to fix it. It feels like a "there, we fixed it now shut up" process is coming and it won't address the real problems. Do I know all of the problems? No. But hopefully as many as possible will be fixed. I almost feel like the cost of the fix should be taken from the tax office's budget. It could send a strong message and make the lower level people more likely to blow the whistle when they know things are going wrong. And you can't tell me there weren't people who knew the process was broken early on.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Which definition of "dole" are you using?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Which definition of "dole" are you using?
who cares which definition, do you disagree with the sentiment? Which County Department do you work for anyway?

As someone who has had the displeasure of *attempting* to dispute assessed tax value with a lot of thought, research and time I am pleased to hear about the assessor's office feeling some heat. It's time for those folks to get a reminder that they are civil servants. Anyone receiving $100K or more as a municipal employee ought to be able to show that they are competent and accommodating. It is apparent, after further review, that the assessor's office has been neither.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Sounds as the private company hired by the county commission will assume many of the duties of re-appraising property where the county tax office failed to do their job. We can only hope some firings in the tax office are next. If they pay a private company to do government jobs, then said government jobs should be eliminated.

Also the Board of Equalization and Review has been completely dismissed and will be replaced by another set of people. Let's hope they do a better job this time. i.e. treat people as customers to be listened to instead of subjects of royalty they dictate to.

Let's see if the topic of refunds is addressed.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Sounds as the private company hired by the county commission will assume many of the duties of re-appraising property where the county tax office failed to do their job. We can only hope some firings in the tax office are next. If they pay a private company to do government jobs, then said government jobs should be eliminated.

Also the Board of Equalization and Review has been completely dismissed and will be replaced by another set of people. Let's hope they do a better job this time. i.e. treat people as customers to be listened to instead of subjects of royalty they dictate to.

Let's see if the topic of refunds is addressed.
Did you watch the meeting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte