Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:41 AM

237 posts, read 298,599 times

Advertisements

uhm, you mean they dont take notes?

(trying 2b funny.gimme a break)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
Okay, so now after 2 phone interviews, an inperson interview out here with the Area Sales Manager, I am doing a video conference interview with the ASM out in Charlotte. Has anybody ever done one of these? Any pointers?

Old 10-25-2007, 05:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Have good lighting and get in from of your camera and pay attention to what is behind you? I would take anything down someone might hate ocean painting due to jellyfish bite lol.

test your microphone and watch your hands they might convey the wrong message via video. if I was you write down all the question you have been asked before tape them to the side of the monitor and do trial interviews with yourself and record them to pay attention to your body language. I dont know if you have any pets or roommates but I would put them away.
Nothing is worst than to have a dog barking a cat that suddenly appears on screen or someone flushing a toilet or getting crushed ice out of the dispenser.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
I had one a few years ago for a job in San Diego. I had to go to a Kinko's, which had the video conferencing equipment. It was kind of weird, I felt like I was on TV since I could see myself on the screen (it was a split screen setup). I was nervous at first, but once I conditioned myself to not look at myself on the screen, it was like a phone interview, which made it easy. I was offered the job, but declined, because the pay just wasn't enough to really get ahead on the west coast. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

Yeah, the ASM was trying to get me flown out to Charlotte but his VP didn't approve it. So, this is my next option. Actually, I offered to pay for my own flight out there, so after this I will talk to him about that if he still doesn't feel comfortable without really meeting me.

I heard that with the video conferencing you can't really make eye contact. You have to look at the camera when you are speaking and look at the tv when the interviewer is speaking. Does it feel awkward...do you feel like there is any real connection?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
dh was offered a position as well over the phone after 4 phone interviews, declined as the timing was right and it wasnt what he wanted to do...he then had about 6 other phone interviews for charlotte and recieved 1 job offer which he accepted..

Old 10-31-2007, 01:05 PM

Well, if anybody cares, after 2 phone interviews, 1 in person interview with the division out here and a video conference interview today, I got offered the position! woohoo!

Old 10-31-2007, 01:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Congrats!

Old 11-02-2007, 06:51 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,449 times
Be SURE to...
1. Be on a reliable land line, not cell
2. Disengage call waiting (you don't want beeping while one the interview!)
3. Make sure you show that you are professional, meaning do have dogs barking, kids crying or dishwashers running in the background
4. Have a glass of water nearby, in case your throat get dry (but sip ONLY if you must...and make sure they can't hear you!)

I actually did land a telecommute job via a phone interview. Good luck!
T

Edit: Just saw that you got the job. Good for you!

Last edited by taben; 11-02-2007 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Updated response

Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,276 times
Try to schedule the phone interview for the morning. Your mind and body will be rested and you won't have the entire day to think about it and stress out about it either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: