Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 05:34 AM

7 posts, read 7,998 times

Advertisements

Contigent on getting a job of course, we are considering moving to the Charlotte area. What is to expect? We currently live in Pittsburgh. Looking for safe, clean area with shopping, dining, and culture things. Our price range for renting is up to 1,000L a month. Any thoughts, sugguestions, opinions would help. What are the good and bad things about Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:48 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,005 times
Piper Station Apartments | Piper Station Apartments in Charlotte, NC 28277 This is where I'd start. Over in the Ballantyne area right off of Rea Rd off 485.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Ballantyne is a very nice, safe and clean area to live, but it' can be a hellish commute to uptown. Charlotte is pretty spread out, you really need to find out where your job is first. It can just as easily be in the suburbs; you would not want to commute from one end of the county to the other.
Charlotte does not have as much culture as Pittsburgh, but it has sufficient culture for just about anyone. It is a lot cleaner than Pittsburgh. Overall, the crime rate is lower in Pittsburgh, but there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Charlotte too (as well as unsafe ones). As you can tell from my name, I am a Pittsburgher but have come to really like Charlotte. My main complaint is too much dependence on the car, too much focus (culturally) on shopping and there is more of a keeping up with the Jones's attitude here.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Overall, the crime rate is lower in Pittsburgh, but there are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Charlotte too (as well as unsafe ones).
I agree with most of your comments that you previously made except for the crime rate....

According to Neighborhoodscout.com, Pittsburgh and Charlotte are virtually identical in crime rates;

Pittsburgh is 48 crimes per 1,000 residents and Charlotte is actually a little lower at 47 per 1,000.

On violent crimes, Pittsburgh averages 9 per 1,000 people vs. Charlotte's 5 per 1,000.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
^Ok, but is that just comparing the City of Pittsburgh to the City of Charlotte? If so, then it's apples and oranges. Pittsburgh (pop: 307,484) only comprises a tiny part of the county - most people live in other municipalities.
Allegheny County Municipality Map
Most of the other municipalities are suburban and extremely safe. The city of Pittsburgh does not really have any suburban areas except for places similar to Dilworth.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 AM

372 posts, read 658,903 times
Quote:
^Ok, but is that just comparing the City of Pittsburgh to the City of Charlotte? If so, then it's apples and oranges. Pittsburgh (pop: 307,484) only comprises a tiny part of the county - most people live in other municipalities.
Allegheny County Municipality Map
Most of the other municipalities are suburban and extremely safe. The city of Pittsburgh does not really have any suburban areas except for places similar to Dilworth.
You might be right. On the original website I quoted, I only used the city info. I should have used the entire metropolitan area for both cities. When I go back and look at that, it increases the population of Pittsburgh to 2,356,285 and Charlotte to 2,625,390, which evens it out a bit. At that point, the only data I could find was data on Pittsburgh from 2010 and Charlotte from 2008. Using those numbers, Pittsburgh has a crime rate of 5 per 100,000 and Charlotte at 5.9 per 100,000. Either way, it's close, but you were right!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:27 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Quote:
Charlotte is pretty spread out, you really need to find out where your job is first. It can just as easily be in the suburbs; you would not want to commute from one end of the county to the other.
WORD.

There are plenty of safe places to live. Find a job and then look to where you will live. Falling in love with a place first, and working a long way away, no matter what you might think initially, will be H E L L.

Been there done that! For about a month, Changed jobs rather than homes!

GOOD LUCK.

LLN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: