Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times

Advertisements

I think the issue may be that finding good beef isn't as easy, meaning in the mid-west I could find good beef at several places for good prices. Here I have had chewier beef when we first moved so I stopped buying it there. Tried another place, it was better but still could be improved. After trial and error we have a few places we think the beef is better than say the common grocery store.

And for the most part beef is more expensive here, but so is milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
The pizza is about to get much better.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Fichter View Post
.... Is smack in the middle of the lane and I guy rols down his window and yells "Go back to NY you Damn YAnkee" My 7 year old yells out the window..."She doesnt even play baseball" We laughed and laughed...My Mom has SC plates so I guess it was her bad driving that gave it away!....:
Maybe you didn't realize that 99% of the people in the Barefoot Landing parking lot are not local. It's a tourist trap and the real locals don't go there. People in Charlotte won't be calling you names unless you give them a reason to do so.

My advice is that if the things you list are important, i.e. it's about the things you are leaving behind instead of the new things you might discover, then you might be happier staying where you are.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 AM

27 posts, read 59,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Maybe you didn't realize that 99% of the people in the Barefoot Landing parking lot are not local. It's a tourist trap and the real locals don't go there. People in Charlotte won't be calling you names unless you give them a reason to do so.

My advice is that if the things you list are important, i.e. it's about the things you are leaving behind instead of the new things you might discover, then you might be happier staying where you are.
I do know that barefoot landing is a tourist trap but my kids love the fudge and the tigers and it is a few minutes from my Mom house. However the guy who called my Mom a Yankee was not a tourist I told the story because I thought it was funny that my son thought he was calling her a Yankee baseball player. I emphasized my Mom had it coming waiting for a spot in the middle of the lane. No disrespect meant.

I said the list was just for fun, nothing to keep me from living in a beautiful area with great colleges for my kids and being close to my family.

Have a happy day

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
The pizza is about to get much better.
Why are you opening up a pizza place??

I do love sweet tea so looking forward to having that everyday!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
There are a ton of pizza places around that have been opened by New Yorkers. There is a place in Cornelius called Brooklyn South that has some yummy pizza. There is also a bagel place in Huntersville that I believe is owned by NYers and the bagels are pretty good. I've seen lines out the door.

There are alot of people from the north down here. I am a transplant myself though not that far north.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Do you miss NJ/NY pizza or is there good pizza in Charlotte area??
I mean is it true that only Nj/NY has good pizza or is this just abnoxious
northern people making assumptions??

How about bagels?? Do they have bagel shops?? Taylor ham and cheese on SUnday mornings???

What do they call subs?? Hoagies, grinders??? perhaps just a sandwich?

Do you notice more smokers in this area? I live in NJ and no one I know smokes, there is no smoking in restaurants... ( I love ) if you hate cigerette smoke is it more of an issue in NC?? Will my kids become smokers...and BREAK MY HEART??

Will my NY Giants loving son get beat up in the fifth grade??

My dd is a Jets fan so that is punishment enough!

Are people going to call me Yankee!
this is a funny true story...We were in Myrtle Beach. (my Mom lives there) We were trying to find a parking spot in Barefoot Landing and my Mom (I must admit NOT a great driver) Is smack in the middle of the lane and I guy rols down his window and yells "Go back to NY you Damn YAnkee" My 7 year old yells out the window..."She doesnt even play baseball" We laughed and laughed...My Mom has SC plates so I guess it was her bad driving that gave it away!

What do you miss most about up North?? What do you miss least?

I think I will miss my friends and my husbands family but will NOT miss 11k a year taxes for a bilevel built in 1972!

i MIGHT miss bagels

You seem to be very young from what you write. At your age, kids normally assimilate and ignore those ever complaining annoyances that are unhappy no matter where they are. You are more likely to find NY pizzas and bagels here than in 99 percent of all other cities in the U.S. Charlotte has turned into a NY suburb.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
You seem to be very young from what you write. At your age, kids normally assimilate and ignore those ever complaining annoyances that are unhappy no matter where they are. You are more likely to find NY pizzas and bagels here than in 99 percent of all other cities in the U.S. Charlotte has turned into a NY suburb.
Why thank you for calling me young.

The things I mentioned are just a few things that 'down south' has the reputation of..I was using something called a sense of humor.

Thanks for being so helpful

Old 11-25-2012, 10:34 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
Quote:
Do you miss NJ/NY pizza or is there good pizza in Charlotte area??
I mean is it true that only Nj/NY has good pizza or is this just abnoxious
northern people making assumptions??
I love Brixx pizza! Straight out of the oven. Especially after 10pm when it is buy 1 get 1 free (11pm on weekends) Best pizza I ever had in my life was in Oakland CA, but it was a restaurant opened by a guy fresh off the boat from Sicily, so yes, I believe pizza prejudice (and snobbery) is rampant.

Quote:
How about bagels?? Do they have bagel shops?? Taylor ham and cheese on SUnday mornings???
If bagels are important to you, I believe good ones can be had. I have bought nice hot ones from Bruegger's in Cornelius. I don't know about the Taylor ham.

Quote:
What do they call subs?? Hoagies, grinders??? perhaps just a sandwich?
not sure...

Quote:
Do you notice more smokers in this area? I live in NJ and no one I know smokes, there is no smoking in restaurants... ( I love ) if you hate cigerette smoke is it more of an issue in NC?? Will my kids become smokers...and BREAK MY HEART??
What is really sad - and not unique to this area - is the number of college kids who smoke. I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke and rarely get dosed around here. In fact, I still remember being grossed out at a restaurant stop in Pennsylvania a few years back because they had a smoking section, and of course the entire restaurant wreaked of smoke. You really get used to not being around smoke, and you can continue that in NC.

Quote:
Will my NY Giants loving son get beat up in the fifth grade??

My dd is a Jets fan so that is punishment enough!
He might not be permitted to wear Giants gear to school. But Panther fans are getting so frustrated they might just give up and not care any more.

Quote:
Are people going to call me Yankee!
this is a funny true story...We were in Myrtle Beach. (my Mom lives there) We were trying to find a parking spot in Barefoot Landing and my Mom (I must admit NOT a great driver) Is smack in the middle of the lane and I guy rols down his window and yells "Go back to NY you Damn YAnkee" My 7 year old yells out the window..."She doesnt even play baseball" We laughed and laughed...My Mom has SC plates so I guess it was her bad driving that gave it away!
Great story!! For once you aren't thinking "I shoulda said this, or that" His spontaneous retort was perfect! The only better response would have been, "Your mother wears army boots!"

Quote:
What do you miss most about up North?? What do you miss least?
Miss most? The people (our friends) Miss least? The people (everyone else) LOL... just kidding, well sort of... change miss least to "weather."

Quote:
I think I will miss my friends and my husbands family but will NOT miss 11k a year taxes for a bilevel built in 1972!

i MIGHT miss bagels
you will get over it

Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,352 times
Quote:
Why are you opening up a pizza place??

I do love sweet tea so looking forward to having that everyday!
Pizza place? Ha...I wish.

Sweet tea was new to me when I moved here. Bojangles has my favorite. Not too sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte