U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM

846 posts, read 3,055,175 times

Advertisements

lovesMountains,

You seem to be completely incapable of actually parsing any of my posts. If you look carefully, I told her to consider working in Charlotte because the work and hours here were easier. This wasn't a complaint, and completely didn't warrant your snide response, though I must admit, it is hard to respect someone who admits to melting down if required to work past 4 in the afternoon.

Last edited by vanyali; 10-24-2007 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: wasn't snippy enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM

857 posts, read 4,459,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I too am a former New York attorney. I think after you settle in,
you might want to re-think dumping your career (like I, apparently, have). I understand the desire for a break, but work is different down here. I remember Wachovia was a major client of one of the partners I worked for in New York, and we'd always have to remember to call them before 5, otherwise they wouldn't be at the office to pick up the phone. 5pm felt like the middle of the day to me. If I got home at 9pm in New York, I was knocking off early. No one does that here. A neighbor of mine is an investment banker with one of the big banks here, and she complains about her long hours because she gets home at 6. I'm not kidding.
I remember those days! I moved to GA from NY, and now I'm heading to NC. It was quite a change for me, knocking off work just because the clock said to. I was so used to working until I finished what I was doing.
For the most part, I think it is an easy adjustment moving down south from NY. It's a lot less expensive, its a slower pace (which you will eventually adjust to) and you can fly up to NY to get all of the things you will miss.
No need to freak out. Try it... you'll like it!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 PM

693 posts, read 1,953,056 times
From reading the above posts, I welcome the idea of a good old fashioned 40 hour work week. As a paralegal for in-house counsel for a Florida developer, my hours were long and insane. If you averaged my Florida salary over the actual 70-80 hours I was putting in, it was slave wages... hey I would rather take a lower salary in Charlotte and be home to watch Hardball every night. I was never up for the NY pace, and if Charlotte has a slower one then I am all for it.

The roaches and snakes is what they made exterminators and xanax for...

Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM

396 posts, read 1,303,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
From reading the above posts, I welcome the idea of a good old fashioned 40 hour work week. As a paralegal for in-house counsel for a Florida developer, my hours were long and insane. If you averaged my Florida salary over the actual 70-80 hours I was putting in, it was slave wages... hey I would rather take a lower salary in Charlotte and be home to watch Hardball every night. I was never up for the NY pace, and if Charlotte has a slower one then I am all for it.

Amen!! Being in the south will cure workaholics! Isn't it great to have a life outside of your career? I tell people that I work to live, I don't live to work! That surely is not a negative for the south!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 PM

693 posts, read 1,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3johnsons View Post
Amen!! Being in the south will cure workaholics! Isn't it great to have a life outside of your career? I tell people that I work to live, I don't live to work! That surely is not a negative for the south!
Well technically, Florida is further South.... so I don't know if it's a directional thing. :-)

But if the pace in Charlotte will give me more time at home with husband, cats and Tivo, then I for one won't complain :-)

Old 10-24-2007, 04:31 PM

396 posts, read 1,303,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Well technically, Florida is further South.... so I don't know if it's a directional thing. :-)

But if the pace in Charlotte will give me more time at home with husband, cats and Tivo, then I for one won't complain :-)
True- an earlier poster was referring to moving south and how surprised they were that we actually knock off work on time.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:28 PM

755 posts, read 2,240,448 times
I know and have known (and have been) plenty of workaholics in Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:20 AM

646 posts, read 600,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I know and have known (and have been) plenty of workaholics in Charlotte.
That's the thing, you can get an extra pt job, and get ahead along with your ft job, and the pt can only be from M-Thursday nites or a weekend.

It was impossible in NY to do two things at one time. The commutes alone tie you up and they keep getting worse. I'm talking the city here, not NY State. A person is so stretched and pulled something will snap.

The current gov Spitzer ran his campaign on "Democracy is coming to NY".

IMO, the NY region, has become America's answer to a Third World nightmare until you get to outer Long Island or further out the other way to PA, rich inner city Manhattan, (half of it, not North Manhattan) then there are the crime infested dumpy outer burroughs and so much of North Jersey as if all the have-nots leering at Manhattan, the tv Manhattan on the outside looking in. Very similar to Mexico City area, all the crumbs go to the periphery and are fed the table scraps.

I dont' think anyway their economy can exist without a black market shadow, under the table style presence with immigration, legal or illegal anymore, keeping the whole place afloat.

Tis why so many companies have moved elsewhere, but also from all of the old Rust Belt all the way across to Detroit and Illinois, not just from New Dork.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 10-25-2007 at 01:32 AM..

Old 10-25-2007, 08:53 PM

92 posts, read 286,681 times
I too am a former New York attorney. I think after you settle in,
you might want to re-think dumping your career (like I, apparently, have). I understand the desire for a break, but work is different down here. I remember Wachovia was a major client of one of the partners I worked for in New York, and we'd always have to remember to call them before 5, otherwise they wouldn't be at the office to pick up the phone. 5pm felt like the middle of the day to me. If I got home at 9pm in New York, I was knocking off early. No one does that here. A neighbor of mine is an investment banker with one of the big banks here, and she complains about her long hours because she gets home at 6. I'm not kidding.

My husband also works from home at his NY job, and while it's great in a lot of ways, it's also been hard for us to meet people. The professional gatherings, clubs hosting interesting speakers and discussions, even hobby clubs don't exist here on the same scale (if at all), so you meet people in church, if you go, at work, if you go, or occasionally in your neighborhood, if you happen to click with your particular neighbors and they happen to be interested in making new friends. It all boils down to pretty slim pickings, especially for an outsider.[/quote]

vanyali to lovesmountains

You seem to be completely incapable of actually parsing any of my posts. If you look carefully, I told her to consider working in Charlotte because the work and hours here were easier. This wasn't a complaint, and completely didn't warrant your snide response, though I must admit, it is hard to respect someone who admits to melting down if required to work past 4 in the afternoon.
Everything above here quotes Vanyali

It absolutely was snippy and snide enough. Come on here and post your opinion, but don't lie when you get called out. I think most anything is welcome here except liars. You didn't tell the poster the work and hours here were easier...your post said loud and clear you equated Charlotte work hours to laziness. You were confronted with quality of life as an argument and bowed out the way cowards do.

Don't do that....lying earns no respect around here...If you said it, mean it or take it back...don't pussyfoot around.

Last edited by lyn2shoes; 10-25-2007 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: had to add the bold, italic and the underline...

Old 10-26-2007, 06:35 AM

235 posts, read 664,644 times
2. We've seen roaches in NYC bigger than small dogs. We've seen rats bigger than large cats. We don't really see snakes, but people in NC don't see them often either, at least for the most part. I know in some places you'll see more than others, but it's not really an epidemic. NC wins the Battle of the Pests because it's just not that bad... it's much worse in NYC.

ROFLMAO....

Rats larger then cats....DH worked in a store once where the Reginal VP was in the store while it was closed (downtown Brooklyn) and said to a girl on the floor why is there a cat in the store she said "honey that ain't no cat"...yep it was a rat.....

Only issue here is the ants and the exterminator takes care of them......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or