Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times

Advertisements

There are still more stalled projects near the other stations, farther south than Scaleybark on the line. It's going to take time for development to catch up with the expectations that underwrote the funding for LYNX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 09:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I ride my bike frequently along this line and am amazed at the sheer number of apartments being built. I fear that there won't even be enough room on the trains during rush hour for all these people. Some will be driving, biking or walking however still I think they will regret not building 3-car platforms before long.
They announced about a year ago that they will be expanding to handle three cars. They should have built the platforms right to start with so they could just add the cars. Now it's like fixing 485 in Pineville.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,530 times
CATS is running 10 minute trains during peak times. I'm not sure if they have enough cars and operators to do this : but I think I read before, that they could compress the schedule down to 5 minutes if they need to.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:13 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
...The Scaleybark station venture with Peter Pappas was not planned until AFTER the rail if I'm not mistaken. I just wondered about these condo projects that failed after the lynx announcement, because the only ones I remember started getting scrapped in late 07 and 08. ...
This project was announced before the line was ever built. It was touted as one of the reasons to vote for the transit tax. It as officially part of the 2020 transit plan. Pappas came along afterwards and took the money the city started to offer to convince someone to build it. If Lynx was such an incentive for new construction then this should be a no brainer. The fallacy of the day is that transit drives construction. It doesn't, the economy does.

There were numerous projects between there and SouthEnd that got canceled. I don't remember the names and have no interest in looking them up for you if this is what you meant by "jogging your memory". Transit doesn't cause development, the economy does.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 AM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Transit doesn't cause development, the economy does.
Seriously? So you've never heard of transit-oriented development? So is it such a dubious idea that people like living near mass transit, and developers comply into these demands, and began constructing new development in close proximity to said mass transit? The economy plays an obvious role, since this can have an effect on these companies financial health, but to think transit itself doesn't cause development is absurd.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Seriously?.
Seriously.

I've heard all the arguments put forth. All can be easily be dismissed as fallacies because there is no definitive study that proves that building rail lines causes development to occur. Unless there is a comparison to the "do not build" scenario they are all pointless. Furthermore, the federal government no longer accepts "development" as a justification for New Starts funding. It doesn't exist.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:03 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
This project was announced before the line was ever built. It was touted as one of the reasons to vote for the transit tax. It as officially part of the 2020 transit plan. Pappas came along afterwards and took the money the city started to offer to convince someone to build it. If Lynx was such an incentive for new construction then this should be a no brainer. The fallacy of the day is that transit drives construction. It doesn't, the economy does.

There were numerous projects between there and SouthEnd that got canceled. I don't remember the names and have no interest in looking them up for you if this is what you meant by "jogging your memory". Transit doesn't cause development, the economy does.
I agree with a lot of your premise. The economy is a HUGE factor in development. Which is why I don't understand your mocking. A POOR economy certainly was the deciding factor with some of those failed projects.

And transportation certainly does drive development. All you have to do is follow the permitting. When a new highway or exit opens up, development in the area exponentially increases. All you have to do is look at Ballantyne, Exit 25 in Huntersville and the entire southend corridor from uptown to Ideal Way. Transit, all by itself, isn't enough to sustain development in a historically recessed economy... but you can't very well argue that it plays no role.

And good morning to you frew, I hope you're doing well. It's going to be a fine weekend!

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
Seriously? So you've never heard of transit-oriented development? So is it such a dubious idea that people like living near mass transit, and developers comply into these demands, and began constructing new development in close proximity to said mass transit? The economy plays an obvious role, since this can have an effect on these companies financial health, but to think transit itself doesn't cause development is absurd.
It's pointless to argue with those who have a steadfast agenda to discredit the government or actions of progressive thought leaders (e.g., McCrory, etc) who desire to create a multi-faceted transit and living metropolitan. Anything that opposes their "factual" world view and seemingly alters any inkling of a rigid mindset about transit is easily categorized as government waste. Possessing the ability to research, analyze, and think beyond one's own self conceived lofty level of intellectual capacity becomes too difficult, it might render a conclusion which is uncomfortable and unacceptable for them....being flat out wrong.

The transit rail will continue to expand for the foreseeable future, as in many other major metro areas, spurring TOD development and accelerating urban density. In other words, it's been studied and proven that light rail (and heavy rail) transit nodes spur economic growth and development. At this point in the process, it matters more about designing and promoting developments that integrate well with exisitng infrastructure for long-term sustainability. Basically, don't build just to build which sadly is a notorius part of Charlotte's history.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:53 AM

I have no interest in discrediting anything and I don't have an agenda. If you read my other posts on the forum you will find that I support Lynx. My commentary however was directed at those who will gladly take false credit for something when verification is difficult and are no where to be found when the opposite happens as they then blame the failure on something else.

I'm sorry you don't get this and instead wish to dismiss what I have to say as someone with a steadfast agenda of underhanded things.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
My commentary however was directed at those who will gladly take false credit for something when verification is difficult and are no where to be found when the opposite happens as they then blame the failure on something else.
all well and good, but it's weird to lay "blame" on reporters. It's not like they are Ph.D candidates in macroeconomics. Your warnings have merit, and anyone who thinks that reporters in general know diddly squat about what they report on is disillusioned to say the least. But I don't know that there is a local party to direct your frustrations at. I don't think it's inconceivable to say that the economy contributed to project failures/slowdowns, and the rail line contributed to development in the area.

I have a special interest in this corridor, and the Scaleybark Station... so I've watched the process closely. I have a lot at stake financially, so these conversations are very interesting to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte