Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 07:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,016,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's this sort of thing that gives the 6 towns no desire at all to consolidate with Charlotte.
I have a feeling that somehow, if the streetcar gets built, the whole county will be on the hook, not just Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
The streetcar will be just as successful as the blue line and the mayor never threatened anybody. That dramatic cow needs to grow up and stop with the childish remarks saying she's always been hard headed and asking her to do something once makes her want to say no even more...

People who don't understand his vision obviously have no clue nor idea what a modern streetcar is. I'm on my cell phone or else i'd have an entire story with pictures and data on why it would be tremendous for CLT

Streetcar will be mass, rapid transportation. In some areas it will have its own ROW, it will have censors to be times to hit green lights, it can have its own lane... YOu guys wouldn't even know the difference between the Blue Line and the streetcar...

If you're against the streetcar, you're against the Lynx Blue Line. The blue Line wouldn't go any faster than the streetcar could on the route anyway! how fast is Lynx from say 7th street station to Bland Street station? No faster than the streetcar would...

The route is going through Neighborhoods... Blue line would go the same speed regardless if it had complete ROW or not... It wouldn't go that fast...

Why spend Millions of dollars more when they would do the SAME thing? Same speed, ability to have the same capacity, same frequency, same convenience, etc?

And I'm disgusted people would belittle the mayor to the Observer with their nonsense about him threatening peoPle...

Old 12-08-2012, 10:50 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,297,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatches View Post
I really don't get his vision and persistence for a streetcar.
It's rediculous. If the goal is public transportation, there are a million better ways to implemented. They could increase the bus service, speed up progress on Lynx, etc. This seems more like just a way to show off.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:16 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
.What does the Mayor say is the potential benefits? Are there any?
$35M + $119M + $400M+ = $550M for a transit line that will employ vehicles that carry 54 people if they stand. It's something that a lunatic during a full moon would come up with.

--------

(frewroad bonus editorial comment: by the way the Obama Administration supports legislation to remove the word "lunatic" from our language. I kid you not. This is what they worry about as the center collapses. )

Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
... YOu guys wouldn't even know the difference between the Blue Line and the streetcar...

If you're against the streetcar, you're against the Lynx Blue Line..
I was planning on a thoughtful reply but I don't think it's worthwhile with the above comments.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM

Looks like a compromise was met that doesn't include the streetcar. It might also have zapped light rail expansion. More soon.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
.... It might also have zapped light rail expansion. ....
Changes to the light rail expansion plan would involve more than the Charlotte city mayor and council since the local portion is a county tax, not a city tax.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Changes to the light rail expansion plan would involve more than the Charlotte city mayor and council since the local portion is a county tax, not a city tax.
OK it isn't the extension that is curtailed, it looks like station access improvements. Probably won't even hit the news.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Charlotte485, I am not sure you fully understand how poorly this street car will be designed. Just look at the section already in place. It is a traffic bottleneck and cannot possibly move faster than the Lynx. The Lynx only minimally disrupts traffic as it is. My opinion is that a test run should be conducted using the Gold Rush cars on the proposed route and schedule to see how this will all pan out. If it is honestly assessed, the idea will most likely be scrapped because it won't work as well as Foxx hopes.

If anyone believes the opposition is because black people will be served, get real. Most people oppose it because it will be costly to start with and will most likely cost far more than projected. $119,000,000 will be the start of a project which will probably cost double that or whatever the current projected amount is. And with the proposed increase in property tax to pay for it, I am firmly opposed.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The mayor out of compromise new buget proposal eliminates $119 million for a streetcar.

Here outline of Fox proposal both wanting tax increases and the two republicans are against any tax increase
Foxx offers to cut streetcar to pass capital plan | CharlotteObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: