Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

23 year-old female here seriously thinking of re-locating from Savannah to Charlotte.

A little about me: I've just recently moved to Savannah, GA (about 6 months ago) from NYC, and while I love the weather and charming feel that Savannah offers, it's just too small and slow-paced for me to stay put here. I have a degree in music business and that scene here is SEVERELY lacking, to say the least. And while that I know that nothing compares to NYC for music-related things, I just can't live in a city that is THAT fast-paced again.

So here's what brings me to Charlotte.

A few questions...

I'd want to live as close to the actual city as possible, without breaking the bank. I could probably do about 5-600 bucks a month for rent (planning on having roommates)...where should a 23 year old female who wants to be as close to the city as possible but doesn't have crazy amounts of money look? I like going out and being where the excitement is, so that might help narrow down the search as well. I've heard things about the suburbs north and south of the city, but have heard those are more for families...anything for the 20something crowd?

Also, I know the Musak company is located in Fort Mill, SC...does anyone know of any other music-related companies for me to check out? I've done the whole craigslist/hotjobs/google/careerbuilder, and have a good idea, but figured I'd ask the people that live there, ya know?

Lastly...what is the public transportation like? I guess I was spoiled with the NYC subway, and while I have a car, I'd like to have the option of not driving if I don't want to.

Any help you Charlotte residents would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM

245 posts, read 267,624 times
Well if your doing 5-6K a month for rent I would get as nice home on the water or something. Transportation is still in the infant stage here compared to NYC.

I am sure someone else will chime in for the rest. What about Memphis?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:53 AM

10 posts, read 24,760 times
For young people I would suggest the North Davidson area or 'NoDa' as the locals call it. Very hip, lots of college students, artsy, and there is bus transportation. With a roommate I think you could swing the rent.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
Well if your doing 5-6K a month for rent I would get as nice home on the water or something. Transportation is still in the infant stage here compared to NYC.

I am sure someone else will chime in for the rest. What about Memphis?
I think she meant 5 or 6 HUNDRED, not thousand

Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

245 posts, read 267,624 times
LOL... yep read that one to fast Sorry..... Where's the EDIT button!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfanatic16 View Post
Hello all,

23 year-old female here seriously thinking of re-locating from Savannah to Charlotte.

A little about me: I've just recently moved to Savannah, GA (about 6 months ago) from NYC, and while I love the weather and charming feel that Savannah offers, it's just too small and slow-paced for me to stay put here. I have a degree in music business and that scene here is SEVERELY lacking, to say the least. And while that I know that nothing compares to NYC for music-related things, I just can't live in a city that is THAT fast-paced again.

So here's what brings me to Charlotte.

A few questions...

I'd want to live as close to the actual city as possible, without breaking the bank. I could probably do about 5-600 bucks a month for rent (planning on having roommates)...where should a 23 year old female who wants to be as close to the city as possible but doesn't have crazy amounts of money look? I like going out and being where the excitement is, so that might help narrow down the search as well. I've heard things about the suburbs north and south of the city, but have heard those are more for families...anything for the 20something crowd?

Also, I know the Musak company is located in Fort Mill, SC...does anyone know of any other music-related companies for me to check out? I've done the whole craigslist/hotjobs/google/careerbuilder, and have a good idea, but figured I'd ask the people that live there, ya know?

Lastly...what is the public transportation like? I guess I was spoiled with the NYC subway, and while I have a car, I'd like to have the option of not driving if I don't want to.

Any help you Charlotte residents would be much appreciated!
Living close in to uptown is very desirable for a young person. If you get a roommate you could find something to rent in the $1200 a month range that you'd probably like, including a little house if you would prefer that to an apartment.

Areas to check out would include Dilworth, Elizabeth or Chantilly. NoDa is up and coming, but not a place I recommend for a young female. The other three areas are just on the fringes of uptown to the east and south - I would not recommend you go north or west of uptown. It would be very easy to hop on a bus and be in uptown in 5 to 10 minutes from any of those areas.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewis899 View Post
For young people I would suggest the North Davidson area or 'NoDa' as the locals call it. Very hip, lots of college students, artsy, and there is bus transportation. With a roommate I think you could swing the rent.
Not really so many college students at all, mostly young professionals I like to call "urban pioneers"

Old 10-15-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
LOL... yep read that one to fast Sorry..... Where's the EDIT button!!!
Wouldn't we ALL love to have 5000 or 6000 a month for rent????

Old 10-15-2007, 02:59 PM

53 posts, read 200,143 times
i'm not entirely sure what you're looking for music-wise, but my biggest complaint about charlotte is the lack of a music scene. it seems with asheville and raleigh/durham not too far away, charlotte gets left out in the cold when it comes to music.

like i said, this may not be an issue for you, and while i love charlotte, the music scene is a major deficiency in my opinion.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:38 PM

241 posts, read 755,820 times
I think the live music scene can improve. I am confident that in the next 2-4 years the scene will greatly improve. The city will realize the music scene will boost an already strong economy. On top of that, newcomers may demand that the scene make some improvements..Bobcats arena can only do so much.. Give the city some time to iron out some details!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmpickens View Post
i'm not entirely sure what you're looking for music-wise, but my biggest complaint about charlotte is the lack of a music scene. it seems with asheville and raleigh/durham not too far away, charlotte gets left out in the cold when it comes to music.

like i said, this may not be an issue for you, and while i love charlotte, the music scene is a major deficiency in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte