Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times

Advertisements

The national news did a story last week where they said over 500 homicides had occurred in Chicago this year, (and the year isn't over with yet). The reporter rode with the police into one of the affected neighborhoods and they made him put on a bullet proof vest before they left. They ran across a gun battle right on a public intersection. This sounds like a place that should be in Afghanistan or Syria. The police seemed frustrated that there really was no answer to it. There is nothing like this in Charlotte.

I've known plenty of people who have lived and a few that still live in that metro, but all of them have come from the vast sprawing suburbs to the west of there. Combine this with the miserable climate and I can't imagine living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The national news did a story last week where they said over 500 homicides had occurred in Chicago this year, (and the year isn't over with yet). The reporter rode with the police into one of the affected neighborhoods and they made him put on a bullet proof vest before they left. They ran across a gun battle right on a public intersection. This sounds like a place that should be in Afghanistan or Syria. The police seemed frustrated that there really was no answer to it. There is nothing like this in Charlotte.

I've known plenty of people who have lived and a few that still live in that metro, but all of them have come from the vast sprawing suburbs to the west of there. Combine this with the miserable climate and I can't imagine living there.
Have you been to Chicago? The North Side is for the most part very nice. These dangerous "war zone" areas are far away from the safe parts of the city. They have no impact on the daily life of most people in Chicago. As long as you stay out of the dangerous parts of the city, you're fine. And if you take out those parts, what's left is still much larger than Charlotte.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Let's get back focusing on what the OP needs in their relocation concerns.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 25,649 times
Charlotte's downtown is a great place to live for young adults or singles. I do not think it would be great for families. The schools are not the best and there would not be a lot of other families to connect with. Raleigh would probably be a better option. The employment opportunities are good. My daughter lives there and loves it. There are lots of young families, great restaurants, good shopping as well as wonderful parks that include walking and bike trails. Check it out!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
On the weekend, I'd rather live in Chicago, during the week, Charlotte. This is purely my opinion, but once I got out of my 20s, the idea of a big city was better than the practice. I love the restaurant scene, but I go a lot less. I love having the museums, but I go less and less. I admit, if I were single, things might be different, but may single friends say the same thing on a smaller scale. I love Chicago. I love it when people come to visit and I show off all the things to do. I love that people want to visit me. But people visit me less because lives get in the way, and I avail myself of the city stuff less as I get older.

Do this exercise. Go over everything you actually did in the past month. Is there anything that you couldn't have done in another city? I found myself increasingly saying no.

The reason I want to move is the weekday stuff. Getting to work, cheaper living, better weather, less crowds.
I realize its just me, but that's how I feel from my visit and research. I'll be back this weekend to see if I am still correct.

If you want Chicago South, then you will be sorely disappointed. If you want a big city, with the the resultant amenities, but not as big or unique as Chicago, give it a visit.
You and I are in the exact same boat. I live in Oak Park and plan to list my house next month to begin the process of relocating to Charlotte for all the reasons you list. Ever since we've had our now 21 month old, we can probably count on 1 hand the amount of times we've driven the 10 minutes east into the loop. We're hoping we're able to sell quick cause we're ready to go.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
On the weekend, I'd rather live in Chicago, during the week, Charlotte. This is purely my opinion, but once I got out of my 20s, the idea of a big city was better than the practice. I love the restaurant scene, but I go a lot less. I love having the museums, but I go less and less. I admit, if I were single, things might be different, but may single friends say the same thing on a smaller scale. I love Chicago. I love it when people come to visit and I show off all the things to do. I love that people want to visit me. But people visit me less because lives get in the way, and I avail myself of the city stuff less as I get older.

Do this exercise. Go over everything you actually did in the past month. Is there anything that you couldn't have done in another city? I found myself increasingly saying no.

The reason I want to move is the weekday stuff. Getting to work, cheaper living, better weather, less crowds.
I realize its just me, but that's how I feel from my visit and research. I'll be back this weekend to see if I am still correct.

If you want Chicago South, then you will be sorely disappointed. If you want a big city, with the the resultant amenities, but not as big or unique as Chicago, give it a visit.

Outstanding post! Very well said

Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbeezee View Post
The public transportation question is not if it exists, but is it useful? Does it go to multiple areas/ isn't difficult to navigate/ extensive?

Charlotte is on top of the list for job perspective/ reimbursement/ cost of living. Visiting for a good while will help in the decision, but I just wanted a general idea from people that live there.

Like if people were asking about Chicago, I could definitely give an open opinion and help someone help. That was all I was looking for!

Public transportation is not comparable to Chicago, but I don't think it needs to be. I have many friends who live in uptown, or along the light rail. Many others, including myself, live in the neighborhoods outside of uptown and commute to uptown, ballantyne, or southpark - which are all easy commutes relative to what my friends and work associates experience in Chicago. I live in an absolutely gorgeous area in southpark, which is a 22 minute drive to my office in uptown. 90% of the time, however, I drive 4 miles to one of the park and rides and take the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte