Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:46 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I looked it up because I seldom eat steak at restaurants-

10 oz ribeye at Outback is $17 with soup or salad and one side.

12 oz at Longhorn is $19.50.

I doubt a Steak and Ale would be much different if one were here today.

Just looking at Big Daddys menu as they have choice of salad bar or soup AND 1 side item, BUT the prices are $17 for an 8oz ribeye. We used to go just for oysters at the bar but haven't been for ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
They are mostly in Northern Virginia and Maryland and are currently expanding again after a period of decline due to a failed Hardee's merger. The largest franchisee under Marriott now operates the company and is rebuilding nice, clean stores with good quality food. Featuring very good roast beef sandwich much better than Arby's, fried chicken and burgers. And a fixins bar. They used to be a major chain in the Northeast and Midwest with over 650 stores at one time, including Greensboro and big in the Baltimore/Washington area. A failed conversion to Hardee's forced many of the stores to be sold to McDonald's. A few travel plaza stores may be mediocre at best, but the new freestanding stores are much nicer and a cut above the other chains. Two new stores just opened in Maryland and are still drawing huge crowds. Would like to see them come to the Carolinas. Hugh McColl and Jerry Richardson please bring us another good, successful chain. The franchise is available.
That hurts my head. I thought the above was the case but then I was like "no that's Carl's Jr.". I was right on both counts. Sort of.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:02 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
i think the sort of turkish street food you see in cities across europe would do well here. lamb, beef, chicken wraps, tsatsiki, that sort of thing. arrange it as a fast-food drive- through and you'd make a killing

Old 12-31-2012, 06:14 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
According to what I have seen one The Catherine Tate Show, yes.

Someone mentioned Roy Rogers. That place is still around somewhere?

I was being sarcastic.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
That hurts my head. I thought the above was the case but then I was like "no that's Carl's Jr.". I was right on both counts. Sort of.
Hardee's bought Roy Rogers from Marriott in 1990 and the conversion failed due to poor food quality and a lack of name recognition in the Northeast. The largest RR franchisee in Frederick, MD never converted and eventually purchased the franchise rights to the chain and is now rebuilding. Hardee's meanwhile was sold to Carl's Jr/CKE and is now operating as sort of a East coast/Midwest version of the West coast chain. Now based in St. Louis but formerly headquartered in Rocky Mount, NC where it originated. And Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson formerly operated a large Hardee's franchise based in Spartanburg, SC. He later collaborated with former Bank of America CEO Hugh McColl to buy out Bojangle's which they recently sold. Now I would like to see them bring Roy Rogers to the Carolinas. But enough fast food history lessons for today.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
With all the transplanted Yankees here, it would seem like a no brainer to have a restaurant that specialized in Northern style foods like Sheet Pizza, Speidies, Wings, Deli style Subs and sandwiches. etc.

Yes, I realize that you can get no end of pizza, wings and sandwiches here but many Yankees including myself are shall we say... somewhat disappointed in whats available here as far as these staple Northern style foods go.

The key here would be making the food as authentic to Northern style as possible, good portion sizes and value for your dollar.
Do it right and you'd make a killing....do it wrong and you'd be just another mediocre pizza place.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
With all the transplanted Yankees here, it would seem like a no brainer to have a restaurant that specialized in Northern style foods like Sheet Pizza, Speidies, Wings, Deli style Subs and sandwiches. etc.

Yes, I realize that you can get no end of pizza, wings and sandwiches here but many Yankees including myself are shall we say... somewhat disappointed in whats available here as far as these staple Northern style foods go.

The key here would be making the food as authentic to Northern style as possible, good portion sizes and value for your dollar.
Do it right and you'd make a killing....do it wrong and you'd be just another mediocre pizza place.
Huh???

As a native of Michigan who spent most of my life in South Jersey, just outside of Philly, I think that you're missing the boat. All food is regional, & I don't mean north to south divisions, either. I never heard of speidies & there are a few places here that make a very respectable hoagie.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,367,981 times
NJ born and raised. No idea what "sheet pizza" is. Or speidies. Lots of places near me have excellent wings (The Lodge, Yellow Rose). Katz at the Arboretum has a lot of authentic deli style food.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Speidies are only familiar to people from a certain region of upstate NY and they are fantastic when done right..

Speidies: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/...tons-best.html

Sheet pizza is exactly what it sounds like, sort of like Sicilian but without the thick crust. A full sheet is approx. 2x3 feet.

Sheet Pizza:http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ofnarl&s=5

I've been here for 15 years and have yet to find "excellent" wings, and I've had "OK" deli food here but nothing that I remember being anything to write home about.

The point of my post is it would be great to have all of this in one restaurant.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Speidies are only familiar to people from a certain region of upstate NY and they are fantastic when done right..

Speidies: Food Wishes Video Recipes: Chicken Spiedies – Is Binghamton’s Best America’s Next Big Sandwich Trend?

Sheet pizza is exactly what it sounds like, sort of like Sicilian but without the thick crust. A full sheet is approx. 2x3 feet.

Sheet Pizza:Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I've been here for 15 years and have yet to find "excellent" wings, and I've had "OK" deli food here but nothing that I remember being anything to write home about.

The point of my post is it would be great to have all of this in one restaurant.
Apparently, you want a place that sells food specific to upstate NY. Say that, not generalized to all people from the north. Good lord, when people from North Jersey & NYC go to South Jersey & Philly, they complain, bitterly, about pizza & bagels. They call hoagies subs & then complain that they aren't the same. That would be because hoagie does not equal sub. Hoagies are specific cold sandwiches, & when they are served w/peppers, the peppers are hot cherry peppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte