Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times

Advertisements

I am actually posting this thread under my dh name. We are from Hunterdon County NJ and have been down to Union County about 6 times since March. Relocating due to dh job. We just received an offer on our home this weekend and if it goes through the buyers want in w/in 30 days. Most likely we will be heading to Union County this upcoming weekend. We have selected Weddington and Marvin. School system is very important. We have a second grader and a toddler. Looking to spend $450-$550,000. I like The Chimneys but my dh is disappointed at their price point not to mention the small lots. We are looking at The Reserve for resales since those homes are on larger lots. I like the lots there, but I am disappointed that it seems most of those homes are 4 bedroom without that extra bonus room(at least the ones we've viewd on Carolinahome.com). As far as Weddington- love Champion Forest(we are suckers for those 4 sided brick communities). looked at Hollister but we are not that crazy about the layouts. Also love Lake Forest Preserve but they seem to be a bit over priced in our opinion once you start adding up all the upgrades. We know all about the new schools in Marvin.. Should we be concerned with Weddington if we decide to buy there about the overcrowded schools or is it improving with the new schools being built? We have done as much research as we possibly can. We are excited about the move. Have mixed emotions since we will be leaving all the family in NJ not to mention so many wonderful friends.
Looking for feedback- in your opinion would you choose Weddington or Marvin. Pros/ Cons Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I am actually posting this thread under my dh name. We are from Hunterdon County NJ and have been down to Union County about 6 times since March. Relocating due to dh job. We just received an offer on our home this weekend and if it goes through the buyers want in w/in 30 days. Most likely we will be heading to Union County this upcoming weekend. We have selected Weddington and Marvin. School system is very important. We have a second grader and a toddler. Looking to spend $450-$550,000. I like The Chimneys but my dh is disappointed at their price point not to mention the small lots. We are looking at The Reserve for resales since those homes are on larger lots. I like the lots there, but I am disappointed that it seems most of those homes are 4 bedroom without that extra bonus room(at least the ones we've viewd on Carolinahome.com). As far as Weddington- love Champion Forest(we are suckers for those 4 sided brick communities). looked at Hollister but we are not that crazy about the layouts. Also love Lake Forest Preserve but they seem to be a bit over priced in our opinion once you start adding up all the upgrades. We know all about the new schools in Marvin.. Should we be concerned with Weddington if we decide to buy there about the overcrowded schools or is it improving with the new schools being built? We have done as much research as we possibly can. We are excited about the move. Have mixed emotions since we will be leaving all the family in NJ not to mention so many wonderful friends.
Looking for feedback- in your opinion would you choose Weddington or Marvin. Pros/ Cons Thanks......
Congrats on the offer on your home - must be very exciting!

Maybe it's just me, but there really isn't that much difference between Weddington and Marvin - both are fine areas to live in, both have fine schools. If I were you I'd go with whichever house you find that feels most like home - western Union is all good.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
The UCPS has estimated that they will need 25 new schools in the next 5 -10 years to contain the explosive growth in the western union county area. They cannot build schools fast enough, nor can they now aquire land at a reasonable price to build schools. Many schools that are being built are being built on small 2 lane farm roads with no traffic lights or road improvements. Some new neighborhoods being planned actually are large enough that it would require 2 to 3 new schools just for that neighborhood. Unfortunately I am afraid that overcrowded schools are a byproduct of all the growth and that is not going to slow down anytime soon. The more people come here, the more crowded things get. My daughter's new school that opened about a month ago, is getting trailers shortly as enrollement has already surpassed capacity. There are several new neighborhoods in that district that are bringing new houses online. We also have a very pro-developer County Commission. Several are developers and a couple benefit directly by passing ordinances that benefit their fellow developers. You'll have a lot of people on this board tell you how great things are, and how great their schools are, but at the end of the day, the growth is going to usurp the quality of the schools.

Good luck with your search.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
The UCPS has estimated that they will need 25 new schools in the next 5 -10 years to contain the explosive growth in the western union county area. They cannot build schools fast enough, nor can they now aquire land at a reasonable price to build schools. Many schools that are being built are being built on small 2 lane farm roads with no traffic lights or road improvements. Some new neighborhoods being planned actually are large enough that it would require 2 to 3 new schools just for that neighborhood. Unfortunately I am afraid that overcrowded schools are a byproduct of all the growth and that is not going to slow down anytime soon. The more people come here, the more crowded things get. My daughter's new school that opened about a month ago, is getting trailers shortly as enrollement has already surpassed capacity. There are several new neighborhoods in that district that are bringing new houses online. We also have a very pro-developer County Commission. Several are developers and a couple benefit directly by passing ordinances that benefit their fellow developers. You'll have a lot of people on this board tell you how great things are, and how great their schools are, but at the end of the day, the growth is going to usurp the quality of the schools.

Very true. This is why I don't point people in the Union county direction anymore. Of course, if they tell me they are already going there, I'm too late with my advice, lol.

South Charlotte and areas in south Charlotte that border Union are about as far out as I would personally want to go.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 PM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Question It is all good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post

While I totally agree with what you say (especially the commissioners part), I have faith in our system and the (new and newer) people that are coming here. If people are moving here for the schools, (and most are), then they will support and/or demand that they remain at that high standard. Even if it means raising taxes! I know South Charlotte has some good schools too, but I do believe they have some problems of their own with the whole CMS!

Question for Charlotte Natives? Since the Ballantyne area is relatively new (10-15 years), did not that area go thru some growing pains too?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
I would also consider Canterfield Creek, Hollister, Lawson, The Glen at Wesley Oaks, Blackstone...maybe Weddington Trace and Anniston Grove as well.

I agree, there is a lot of growth here, but I for one have been happy with the way the county has responded with schools so far. It will be interesting to see what happens next. I have three kids, all in new schools this year. So far so good

Old 09-09-2007, 07:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very true.

South Charlotte and areas in south Charlotte that border Union are about as far out as I would personally want to go.
Exactly right! You'll be okay in the following subdivisions: Marvin Creek, Kingsmead, Hunter Oaks, Somerset, The Reserve and that's about it (in your price point.). I don't know what the price ranges are in Firethorne, but a lot of my children's friends live there and go to great schools.
Like I stated to another poster in a similar situation; hook up with a great realtor. That's what we did and it made our move seamless. PM me if you want her contact info.
Good Luck! Luck must already be on your side if you managed to get a buyer for your home in NJ! You're halfway there!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:43 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
Thanks all, we have seen all the developments mentioned with the exception of Anniston Grove. Where is that? I see it has an Indian Trail address. Blackstone, Hunter Oaks and Canterfield are on the short list. Kingsmead and Marvin Creek are unfortunatly just out of range. The Glen is nice I just prefer the ammenities to be within the community. Where will Millbridge students go? I suppose they will go Kensington, but not sure where they will go after. 2000 homes will certainly put the strain on some school. And how about the school slated for Cuthberston Rd., what communities will be heading there? I suppose luck could be on our side selling in Jersey, we dropped the price alot to get it to move. We should probably restate the range to 425K-525K.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
While I totally agree with what you say (especially the commissioners part), I have faith in our system and the (new and newer) people that are coming here. If people are moving here for the schools, (and most are), then they will support and/or demand that they remain at that high standard. Even if it means raising taxes! I know South Charlotte has some good schools too, but I do believe they have some problems of their own with the whole CMS!

Question for Charlotte Natives? Since the Ballantyne area is relatively new (10-15 years), did not that area go thru some growing pains too?
No, Ballantyne did not go thru anything close to what Union county is going thru - partly because schools were built from the beginning there when developers worked a land deal to make it happen. Only in the last few years has there been a problem with Hawks Ridge Elementary when Elon was not completed in a timely manner. Now that the outer edges of the county are being built out to the hilt there are problems with certain schools being overcrowded.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:54 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
Not really. Ballantyne was a totally planned community concieved and built by the Harris family. Everything you see from housing, retail and office space was planned YEARS in advance. Ballantyne Commons Pkwy was built before the first house or store was built. Johnstone Road was widened before any houses were built. Land was contributed to CMS for schools in exchange for additional road inprovements (widening Rea Rd). That's why there are nice roads (Ballantyne Commons Pkwy, Rea Road etc.) good retail, (StoneCrest, the Villages etc.). It wasn't happenstance. It was all done with private funding. Blakeney is also a planned community as well.

Last edited by jlat; 09-09-2007 at 10:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte