U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,920,515 times

Advertisements

I hear North Carolina and the Charlotte area in particular have been hit pretty hard by the flu this season. Flu shots are readily available at many pharmacies.

The reason I ask: I got my first flu shot in 35 years on Saturday, for a number of reasons. Sunday night I started to get a sore throat and I have had these symptoms all week, including today (Friday). Sore throat, minor muscle aches, runny nose, which at night gets very stuffy. I don't think I am running a fever. The pharmacist ASSURES me that this is not a reaction to the (dead) flu vaccine and I must have come down with a cold coincidentally... 1 day after getting my flu shot. My wife (no flu shot) is not showing any cold symptoms yet.

So, my full question is: Did you get your flu shot and did you have any reaction?

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I know that the CDC wants everyone to get their flu shot and it is probably better for society as a whole for everyone to get vaccinated, but this also means they want to minimize and downplay any side effects or reaction to the vaccine so people aren't discouraged from getting vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,008,690 times
1. I've never had the flu
2. I've only had the shot a couple times
3. The first time I got the shot, I felt poor
4. Subsequent shots have had no effect.
5. Got the shot this year.
6. Feel great.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,939,863 times
I got the flu shot a month or so ago. I felt fine after getting the shot. I have never been sick due to the flu shot. I have heard of people getting sick after getting the flu shot. I have no idea if its the cause or just a coincidence. I have heard that your body needs about 2 weeks to build up your immunity after receiving the flu shot.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,339,495 times
I've not had a flu shot as an adult. I get the occasional cold or three day malady.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,586,358 times
I have been getting the shot since 2010 after I get my last quarter blood work usually in August- October.
This is bad time for me to get it done as I have fall allergies from the leaves but I have to maintain the yard.

I do end up with sneezes, running nose and asthma acts up, the only time it does and take Mucinex help to re leave with inhaler that I normally just use before bed and waking up but during this period it used all day.
Other than my misfortune in 2010 I havent been sick since I was 8. My immune system is back on par with normal people but I cant say no to Dr orders.
I do use those alcohol wipes for shopping carts and try not touch things like escalator rails.

Flu vaccine is compose of dead virus being injected. Hang in there, it to shall pass. CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu Shot

Old 12-14-2012, 07:34 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,073,368 times
The symptoms you describe are something I've been dealing with for the past 2-3 weeks. Can't remember the last time I got a flu shot. I think you are just fighting the same cold as the rest of us.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,665 times
I get them for free and delivered to the house no less so yes, I got mine a couple of months ago. No reaction.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,920,515 times
Almost 1 week and I still feel like crap. $15 in OTC cold medicines today (nose spray, cough drops, Nyquil) but the flu shot was free.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,746,225 times
I never know whether I should get the shot. I've never gotten it and I've haven't had the flu in more than 10 years (even with kids in the house) One day I may regret not getting the shot I suppose.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,281,413 times
Nope. Haven't gotten mine in about 7 years and haven't had the flu in 7 years. Last 2 times I was vaccinated, I caught the flu right after getting the shot :s

Off topic: It's funny that people feel the need to defend themselves with "I'm not a conspiracy theorist..." whenever they have an unpopular opinion or question the norm. I guess people are quick to attack you if you think (or know) differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte