U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:57 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,687,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Does that mean you don't use vaccines for your children? Flu can kill and I don't know of another way to build resistance without the shot. That's the whole idea.
You can build natural immunity by being exposed to the virus (active)- maybe years ago, or from your mother (passive)
Back in the old days in the UK all kids were vaccinated for Tuberculosis, but we were tested for antibodies first. I already had antibodies.

The thing with other vaccines eg tetanus,diptheria etc etc is that the virus' they protect us from aren't constantly changing and we are less likely to acquire natural immunity via exposure because the diseases are more rare.
Each year the flu virus changes so they never quite get it right with the vaccine. If you have a healthy immune system then you're often quite capable of fighting the virus- that's why we have the system!

My son has had all of his childhood vaccinations- he had too to get into school anyway- but he never has the flu vaccination.
I believe it's important to vaccinate the elderly and chronically debilitated eg people who have chronic conditions, especially those that affect the immune/respiratory system or require treatment with steroids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
As was mentioned, the sign on the cookies say kids of all ages. I really do think they are just saying that anyone can have one.
I always get two, because I take one to my wife. She never wants it, so I get to eat it. Take that, Harris Teeter.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,640,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
You can build natural immunity by being exposed to the virus (active)- maybe years ago, or from your mother (passive)
Back in the old days in the UK all kids were vaccinated for Tuberculosis, but we were tested for antibodies first. I already had antibodies.

The thing with other vaccines eg tetanus,diptheria etc etc is that the virus' they protect us from aren't constantly changing and we are less likely to acquire natural immunity via exposure because the diseases are more rare.
Each year the flu virus changes so they never quite get it right with the vaccine. If you have a healthy immune system then you're often quite capable of fighting the virus- that's why we have the system!

My son has had all of his childhood vaccinations- he had too to get into school anyway- but he never has the flu vaccination.
I believe it's important to vaccinate the elderly and chronically debilitated eg people who have chronic conditions, especially those that affect the immune/respiratory system or require treatment with steroids.
I think the flu mutates too quickly to build an immunity to it ahead of time. If it was the exact same strain then it's possible but unlikely. That does make the vaccine hit and miss but I don't believe skipping it somehow boosts your immunity by exposure to an ever changing threat.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,270 times
Me not so much although I like their bread samples. My kids can eat everything in sight after having eaten a full meal, so I have to watch them.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:56 PM

12 posts, read 16,163 times
Ever since working at HT for 3 years, I stopped eating the sugar cookies. You wouldn't believe the sticky, gooey, boogey hands of children that touch several different cookies before picking one out.

My warning!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM

6,772 posts, read 11,867,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I don't take a balloon or ride Harry the Dragon.
Oh. Well I totally do that. Just no cookies!

Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 AM

4,917 posts, read 7,844,846 times
I used to sometimes try a sample of two in the Harris Teeter deli department.

Until the day I saw the dirtiest, filthiest, toothless people reaching in and just stuffing their mouths full of the stuff, greasy black fingers and all..

It had never dawned on me before about who might have been "sampling" before me. I no longer touch the stuff.

If I want deli ham, cheese, or bread, I buy it.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:24 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post

Until the day I saw the dirtiest, filthiest, toothless people reaching in and just stuffing their mouths full of the stuff, greasy black fingers and all..

It had never dawned on me before about who might have been "sampling" before me. I no longer touch the stuff.

We obviously shop at different HTs.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:09 AM

8,231 posts, read 11,582,216 times
Quote:

Wow....just wow.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:11 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:

The deli workers will cut you a fresh slice if you want a sample. You are not restricted to what they put out in the little domes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte