Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I think it's a sad state of affairs if someone is relying on the free food SAMPLE for their meal. I don't judge because I'm not sure what that person is going through so I just mind my own business. They could be stealing food that isn't free, but aren't so that's respectable.

What upsets me most is the people who park right in front with their hazards blinking in the rain just to "run in" and grab something or the yoga mom who parks in one of the reserved spots for pregnant women and/or those with kids when they have neither of these. Seriously, you can't walk an extra few spaces? Are you that lazy?? But that's another story.
I don't know how many people RELY on it, but you can have a hella good lunch at some places on free samples.

This is always an unpopular opinion, but screw those pregnant mom/people with kids spaces. Us childless people already have to pick up the slack at work when you go home early because of some family illness. Why should we have to walk further at the grocery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM

238 posts, read 567,608 times
I only sample something if I think I may buy it. Not just to sample. I don't take the cookies because it says they are for kids. I sample a grape before buying to make sure they are sweet. Now I'll have to see if I notice any grazers.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:27 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't know how many people RELY on it, but you can have a hella good lunch at some places on free samples.

This is always an unpopular opinion, but screw those pregnant mom/people with kids spaces. Us childless people already have to pick up the slack at work when you go home early because of some family illness. Why should we have to walk further at the grocery?
Because you're not lazy and can get over walking a bit farther for the sake of someone who can use the spot? It's called a courtesy. You can always have kids as well you know.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:47 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe people would buy something if Harris Teeter wasn't so darn expensive.
Talk about overpriced food. Its just as expensive as Whole Foods,and most of it isn't even organic.

Yeah!
I thought the grazers were people like me who go in to buy curry paste,Aborio rice and a few other items that I can get there cheapest. Also seafood and fish sometimes.
Otherwise I don't go-way way overpriced even on general brands eg Cabot cheese, cereal etc etc
I think if I did all my grocery shopping there I would spend at least 3 times as much on grocery each month and that's out of the question.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Very true . . . but there is always the sneeze that happens feet away and microscopic particles land on the food while the dome is removed. Sneeze particles travel about 200 mph, travel long distance and can hang around in the air.

Coughs are bad on nearby food, too.

A little article I found on the subject:

The Gross Science of a Cough and a Sneeze | LiveScience

This can also happen in a restaurant - which is why I rarely eat out. Between wondering what is going on with the kitchen help . . . and someone coughing or sneezing even feet away . . . I prefer preparing my own food in my own kitchen where I know how the raw ingredients have been handled, how the utensils and prep surfaces have been sterilized . . .

I have only gotten the flu over the last 30 years after eating in restaurants, where I am convinced employees will show up for work even if they are sick b/c they need the paycheck.

You're joking -right?

I have from the age of 2 in the 1960s eaten all over the world, in back street local dives in Thailand and Singapore, camped in Turkey with no refrigerator, got milk fresh from the cow/goat and visted numerous lower end buffet restaurants. My son , husband and parents are the same.
I don't sterilise anything at home and don't use antibacterial anythings.
My mother kept eggs in a pot chicken on the kitchen windowsill when I was a kid.

I have had antibiotics 3 times in my life and I'm 49. Son has never had them and he's almost 18.
We don't ever get flu shots and I haven't had flu for over 10 yrs.

Sorry, but we need to let our kids be exposed to more of the bugs an germs that are around so that they build up immunity.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
You're joking -right?
Sorry, but we need to let our kids be exposed to more of the bugs an germs that are around so that they build up immunity.
Does that mean you don't use vaccines for your children? Flu can kill and I don't know of another way to build resistance without the shot. That's the whole idea.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:48 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I only sample something if I think I may buy it. Not just to sample. I don't take the cookies because it says they are for kids. I sample a grape before buying to make sure they are sweet. Now I'll have to see if I notice any grazers.
As was mentioned, the sign on the cookies say kids of all ages. I really do think they are just saying that anyone can have one.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yeah. If I want that kind of quality I'll go to Golden Corral.
Or lately, Hibachi Buffet in Matthews.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I do try samples, but I'm in HT to buy groceries not eat, so I don't just eat samples and leave.

I've never eaten the sugar cookies. I thought those were for kids? Isn't there a sign that says so?
If it makes you feel any better, I don't take a balloon or ride Harry the Dragon.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Or lately, Hibachi Buffet in Matthews.
I think I'm done with that place. I'm bored with the food, and the service is lacking-how hard is it to give me a glass of water with the same amount of ice in it, consistently? The first glass is mostly ice, and by the end of my meal it's almost all water. Does no one pay attention? Plus a couple days ago I noticed that about a third of the people eating lunch there were coughing, wheezing, sneezing, etc. Gave me the willies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte