Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

Advertisements

For another poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe Bree
Greetings!

I'm really new to this site and still trying to figure things out.

If you don't mind i'd like to share some things and ask a few questions re life in NC.

You seem very knowledgeable..... I came across your post on someone's thread re Charlotte vs GA. I've never been there but i'm actually considering a shift in that direction.

I'm from NY, moved to GA, and came back to NY due to some family matters. Since I've been back I've been planning my escape LOL

If you grew up here and spent the majority of your life here perhaps you'd know what it's like to be in my shoes The cost of living is an outrage, the hustle and bustle has worn me out to

I loved Smryna/ Vinings, GA. And a few other areas in GA the outskirts of Atl. But I thought NC would be nice/a change... just from the things I've heard over the years. I know I have to come for a visit. Hopefully, early next yr.

I don't have a career but I've been doing Administrative Support. It's been quite challenging out here so I've been out of work for about a year but i feel optimistic about leaving here and starting fresh. So much so that I'd consider customer service/Trader Joes/ Whole Foods gig until something promising comes my way in NC.

Can you suggest an area that would be near office parks (some companies usually select those type of areas to do business).

Are you familiar w/ any staffing agencies/or places I should consider exploring ((I do not have a degree) I do intend on going to school at some pt *just a personal goal of mine* but that's down the line. (I'm very flexible, open-minded & a self-starter)

My lifestyle: I'm laid back, always lived in the 'Burbs (city is way 2 congested) I wouldn't mind the suburbs as long as I'm not a gr8 distance from the city. The most impt thing is to be near shopping ctrs, business areas, I may be fortunate to land *something* if that makes sense. I love the city for entertainment purposes not to live (besides i know it's more expensive)

Can you suggest nice diverse apt communities - where I can get a 1br for around $700'ish or 2br around 8'ish? I understand that you "get what you pay for"of course I prefer a safe diverse environment.

I have a car (not brand New )

A cpl yrs ago my friend moved from NY to GA w/2kids, no car, stayed@ her sister's, found a gig @ Wal-Mart, budgeted, and got her own place w/in 5months (no financial assistance from a soul) in a very nice area called "Alpharetta" (so I know I can do this)

OK I think this must be a 2hr read lol

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

CeCe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM

New member and has too few posts to start a thread.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
new member and has too few posts to start a thread.

huh???

Old 12-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
huh???

Cee Bree has too few posts to start a thread so I started the thread for her. The quoted portion is a DM from her with her questions. I reposted it here to be answered as I'm not from Charlotte. Though I do visit and have friends and family in the area.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Cee Bree has too few posts to start a thread so I started the thread for her.
Brand new members can start threads. The only limitation is they can't post links or recommendations 'til they have several posts.

I mean - folks can still respond & they can get some replies to your post, which I know is the point, but I didn't want to leave that misinformation there.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:05 PM

ok. just trying to help

Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
That was my concern. I thought you could start a thread with your first post!

Sorry I can't be of much help to the OP's OP.

Thanks!

Tag

Old 12-13-2012, 03:53 PM

7 posts, read 11,416 times
Check out the Matthews area for apartments. you can get downtown quickly and to the ballantyne office area in about 20 minutes on the highway (except for mondays, people always drive slower)

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 7,114 times
Thx macjr for reposting!
Bobbob I'll certainly look into that, thanks!

Old 12-25-2012, 07:50 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
$750 is the low end for 1 BR apartments in south Charlotte. Ballantyne and close in to uptown is about $825 or more, even for 1 BR's.

I presume you can get down to $650 in other areas of east and west Charlotte.

When you inquire at a complex, ask them if water and trash is included in rent or is a separate fee. Charlotte is the only city I've lived in, where complexes have a habit of separating these things out that were normally part of the rent elsewhere.

At least complexes here will include refrigerators. In southern California you had to get your own. It's odd how some regions develop their own standards what to expect.

Read the reviews on ApartmentRatings.com, and review the Charlotte map.
  • Usually the green and blue pins on the map will be mild criticisms... noisy neighbors, doog poop, spider webs in the breezeways, limited parking, pool closes too early.
  • Yellow pins will have more complaints about incompetent staff, appliances that don't work, insect infestations, lazy and unresponsive maintenance.
  • Red pins have complaints about drug deals, needles and broken glass, police helicopters, gunshots, and multiple families of immigrants per apartment.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 12-25-2012 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte