U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM

159 posts, read 286,552 times

Advertisements

This happened to me years ago when I was in college in the Triad area. I totally forgot to get gas when it was still light outside when I was visiting a friend at another college, about 45 mins from mines. I drove to the nearest 24/7 gas station and a man and woman at 1AM approached me asking if I can give her a ride to the nearest hospital b/c her baby is sick. I didn't see a baby, and who would have a baby with them that late at night just hanging around a gas station? Well with me being a young woman, I was scared. I tried to get into the car as fast as possible, but the man grab my door and kept asking me and saying something sexual to me. Somehow I managed to get in the car, locked the doors and drove off. It was stupid of me to get gas that late at night, but I really needed gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:37 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle704 View Post
This happened to me years ago when I was in college in the Triad area. I totally forgot to get gas when it was still light outside when I was visiting a friend at another college, about 45 mins from mines. I drove to the nearest 24/7 gas station and a man and woman at 1AM approached me asking if I can give her a ride to the nearest hospital b/c her baby is sick. I didn't see a baby, and who would have a baby with them that late at night just hanging around a gas station? Well with me being a young woman, I was scared. I tried to get into the car as fast as possible, but the man grab my door and kept asking me and saying something sexual to me. Somehow I managed to get in the car, locked the doors and drove off. It was stupid of me to get gas that late at night, but I really needed gas.
WOW. That takes the cake. It amazes me how these people don't seem to have someone they can call to come help them.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:09 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,371,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptak9 View Post
One time a young girl with a small child came up to me at a gas station asking for a few dollars because her car ran out of gas up the road a bit. I gave her a little money only to see her and her boyfriend or whatever continuing to hit up people hours later when I drove back by the station. I would never give an absolute stranger a ride these days- you could be risking your life for heavens sake! And like a previous poster said- if your gut tells you something is off- go with it. Give them a buck or two if you want but don't risk your health or well being- that's just dumb.
This seems to be a regular occurrence at the Arboretum Walmart parking lot. Maybe I look like an easy mark.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:46 PM

820 posts, read 1,529,760 times
Never, Never, EVER let a stranger get in your car or even put you in a position where you could be assaulted and forced into your car. BE AWARE and look for escape options. It's better to be paranoid than mugged...or worse. Have 9-1-1 on your speed dial or get your cell company to show you how to put the number on one button...just so you don't set it so your phone does not "butt dial" the police from your pocket or purse.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:17 AM

1,554 posts, read 2,922,492 times
+1 Arboretum Wal-Mart parking lot. I refuse to go anymore after being constantly harrassed by people looking for handouts on the parking lot. Wal-mart depresses me enough as it is.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,799,162 times
A woman an her daughter stopped me outside of the Walmart, at the Galleria. Maybe she thought she could trust me, since I was with my college age daughter. I felt safe enough, but not stupid enough. I had my daughter sit in the back next to the little girl, who was about 8, as her mother sat in my passenger seat. She wanted a ride to the weekly hotel behind the Bestwestern. It was only a four minute ride by car. She did offer me money for the trip. I refused. I think it was cheaper to ask for a ride and give the person a couple of dollars for gas, than to pay a taxi. If you are hesistant, I would call a police officer for assistance; they would see to it that they are driven home. Sometimes, we just have to have faith.

It pays to be nice at times: I arrived by train to visit an elite boarding school with my daughter. She had a scheduled interview. My taxi was not at the station, as planned. I waited about 10 minutes, but could not wait any longer fearing that she will miss her interview, and I will miss the tour. I approached a gentleman who was dropping off a friend and asked him for a ride. This man happily agreed to drop us off, in exchange for gas money. If I didn't go on faith, the trip and the hope of getting her in would've been a waste. I trusted my heart and we made it there safely and on time. Please don't give up on trusting others; there are good people who may just need your help.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,641,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Please don't give up on trusting others; there are good people who may just need your help.

Suspicious is the best word to describe me. It always happens very late at night and it's always the same excuse. Except for the guy that thought Jesus sent me to drive him 30 miles to Huntersville.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,284,403 times
I just came up with this...

"Oh, you need money for gas? I don't carry cash, but if you'll pull your car up to that pump, I'll swipe my card for $5 of gas. Your car isn't here? Well, put your gas can there and I'll still swipe for $5. That should give you enough gas to get your car to a gas station. No car, no can? Hmm..."

Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 PM

19,961 posts, read 18,810,763 times
If people ask for a ride, I refer them to a taxi service or a bus. I am going in a direction they are not going. I do not like driving around strangers to suspicious areas. My transportation fare would be higher than taxi cabs or buses. I am not licensed to operate a public transportation vehicle.

If people ask me for money, I refer them to a financial institution. I do not give away money as I save it, invest it, and use it to pay bills.

If people ask me for basic items such as food, air for tires, cigarettes, etc., I refer them to a store or gas station which sells those goods. I do not operate a retail business.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,080,142 times
I had an interesting one yesterday. A hobo came up to me on College St. with a story about how the hotel she was staying at suddenly raised the rates and she needed cash to keep staying there. A simple "Sorry, I don't carry cash" (which is true) shut down any avenue of further discussion.

Coming back from Johnny Burrito's, I saw her still trying to hit up people for money. One lady just completely ignored her, so the hobo started screaming at her and pretty much chased her into the office building.

Anyway, that might be a boring story but my point is I always at least answer these people because sometimes ignoring them really sets them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or