Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times

Advertisements

If nothing is exposed, nothing's wrong. it is a free country. next thing you know they'll ban old people wearing their pants at their nipples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 129,497 times
What a joke.
You DO know that people can wear boxer shorts outside as if they are just plain shorts, right?
So now you're going to have a law where people can wear the boxers as long as they aren't partially covered by pants?

Seems like it would be much easier to say, "We're making another new law to put people in their place because they look different and come from a different culture than we do."

Go ahead, but then don't complain when people stereotype the south. Not when you walk right into the stereotypes.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM

153 posts, read 477,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem is, they're only HALF wearing their clothes. I'm all for them WEARING a pair of pants as opposed to looking like they are in the middle of taking them off.
LOL! I agree!

Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
What a joke.
You DO know that people can wear boxer shorts outside as if they are just plain shorts, right?
So now you're going to have a law where people can wear the boxers as long as they aren't partially covered by pants?

Seems like it would be much easier to say, "We're making another new law to put people in their place because they look different and come from a different culture than we do."

Go ahead, but then don't complain when people stereotype the south. Not when you walk right into the stereotypes.
This law is not just being proposed in the south, so don't even try to make this a slur of some kind against us.

In other states all over the country there are municipalities grappling with this issue.

The people proposing these laws are saying "we won't tolerate a gangster/criminal culture". Of course, most young men who wear their pants this way are not hoodlums or criminals - but they are mimicking behavior of hardened criminals who have brought this "fashion statement" out of jail with them. It's the same as schools having to ban solid white tee shirts or red/blue bandannas - these are all considered gang attire. I say good riddence to anything promoting gangs or criminal activity.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Schools are much different than the general public. I have had abdominal pains lately right around the waist where my jeans normally rest. The other day, my pants were sagging and my boxers were sticking out so I could be comfortable. I am by no means involved with gangs or trying to emulate criminal behavior, but I would get fined for doing that? Gimme a break.

I suggest reading the first amendment since people her eare always quoting half of the second one.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM

241 posts, read 755,505 times
I was an intern at an all-boys reform school back in RI. The leadership finally decided that the students would start wearing presentable uniforms. The uniform was a blue golf shirt and nice pants. The administation was tired of the 'street' uniform that the students came in with. We had issues with gang colors, hiding drugs/weapons, etc. It was a sight to see these kids appropriately dressed. No more Fruit of the Loom in the hallways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's the same as schools having to ban solid white tee shirts or red/blue bandannas - these are all considered gang attire. I say good riddence to anything promoting gangs or criminal activity.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:05 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
What's next? Telling fat women to stop wearing "belly" shirts or bikinis? Or better yet, stopping people from getting the "I can't move my face" plastic surgery?
Oh dear, some people don't realize just how rediculous they look!
I say: "keep it up!" I need a laugh once in a while!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermsley Brewer View Post
Hope that doesn't pass. This is supposed to be a free country, but now the government can tell you how to wear your clothes? I don't like the look either, but it isn't hurting me, unlike public smoking. It also sets an undesirable precedent. What else will the government tell us what we can and can't do or wear?
I completely agree. I hate sagging pants too, think it looks ridiculous, but the government shouldn't have the power to tell us what to wear.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:36 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Schools are much different than the general public. I have had abdominal pains lately right around the waist where my jeans normally rest. The other day, my pants were sagging and my boxers were sticking out so I could be comfortable. I am by no means involved with gangs or trying to emulate criminal behavior, but I would get fined for doing that? Gimme a break.
wearing the pants a few inches below your waist for comfort and literally wearing them around your knees mimicking prison inmates is a HUGE difference and you know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets_Go_Mets View Post
What a joke.
Seems like it would be much easier to say, "We're making another new law to put people in their place because they look different and come from a different culture than we do.

I can personally say that I DO come from the same culture and when I was younger sagged my pants with the best of them. I'm now 25 and look back at how ridiculous it was. There are plenty of now affluent people who also came from similar cultures who feel the same way. Our thought is, if we could make it out and have some dignity while pulling our pants up, then you cant use the excuse "from a different culture"

I do agree it is a thin line and its like a game of "whats next" but I also dont think freedom of speech, religion, and assembly was created with peoples asses hanging out of their pants in mind.

Lovesmountains, I love that article you posted. I was actually going to say in my initial post that a positive for us that these people dont realize, is their immobility haha. One thing I realized way back when was that my untied timb boots and loose pants ACTUALLY prohibited me from fighting well or running when necessary haha. Things that I needed to do regulary were actually being affected by the way I dressed to fit in with those people. Silly me

Old 10-16-2007, 02:38 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,178,594 times
As much as I dislike looking at other peoples underwear, i have to say that I agree with the folks that say this is a free country. You can't pick on one group just because they're style of dress is annoying. Unless it can be called truly indecent, then the police can take over.

I have seen many young women with more objectionable clothing on than some of these kids. Or maybe I should say lack of clothing but no one has banned them yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte