U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 6,632,197 times
Reputation: 1438

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
PO have very little training in firearm accuracy couple weeks in the academy, qualify ever 6 months. Most cops will go years with the gun in their holster and never pull it much less shot it. It is a fallacy to think cops are good shots because they are cops
I would think qualifying every six months (once at night) with their service weapon and once per year with shotgun and rifle would hopefully show they are good shots. Are you saying they can qualify and be bad shots? That would seem to be an issue for CMPD.

And I can't reconcile them not taking their gun out of their holster and not firing a shot if they are firing at a range. Maybe you mean while on duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
 
2,149 posts, read 2,345,765 times
Reputation: 3086
bs I commented on the fact that he MISSED that was my point.

Your other points are quite valid, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Near the water
8,231 posts, read 11,569,910 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I had not really noticed that the article referred to homicide detectives as well as internal affairs doing an investigation. That is really odd unless someone did die. Why would internal affairs be interested if no one was even wounded? Or apprehended? Does IA investigate any time an off duty officer discharges his weapon? (just a thought) But homicide . . . that seems odd if no one was killed in the incident.

IA always investigates ANY Officer involved shooting. As far as homicide investigating, the are having a "unit" other than one this Officer is currently working with, do the investigation....to keep it "clean". SOP is all this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
IA always investigates ANY Officer involved shooting. As far as homicide investigating, the are having a "unit" other than one this Officer is currently working with, do the investigation....to keep it "clean". SOP is all this is.
TY Kitty! That explains it!

I posted this b/c I think it illustrates how dumb perps are (this one sure didn't check out who owned the home) . . . and how important it is to have a firearm (and know how to use it safely) when one of these thugs targets a homeowner. And nice to know that firing a gun can be enough to chase off a would-be thief.

I do wonder what would happen if I discharged my weapon within the city limits and didn't hit the would-be home invader . . . would I get a citation? Can I shoot at someone even if they have not entered my home (but are trying to knock down a door, for ex).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 11:38 PM
 
820 posts, read 1,526,457 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
PO have very little training in firearm accuracy couple weeks in the academy, qualify ever 6 months. Most cops will go years with the gun in their holster and never pull it much less shot it. It is a fallacy to think cops are good shots because they are cops
Agree. We have had police officer friends over the years and all will tell you that most cops are lousy shots and under pressure or stress it's even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 PM
 
820 posts, read 1,526,457 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
TY Kitty! That explains it!

I posted this b/c I think it illustrates how dumb perps are (this one sure didn't check out who owned the home) . . . and how important it is to have a firearm (and know how to use it safely) when one of these thugs targets a homeowner. And nice to know that firing a gun can be enough to chase off a would-be thief.

I do wonder what would happen if I discharged my weapon within the city limits and didn't hit the would-be home invader . . . would I get a citation? Can I shoot at someone even if they have not entered my home (but are trying to knock down a door, for ex).
Without preaching, please take a firearms course through one of the local dealers - either Firepower in Matthews or Hyatt's on Wilkinson Blvd. Knowing when, where, how, etc. of protecting yourself (NOT your property) will keep you out of jail and potentially out a law suit by some perp or his family (the Castle Doctrine withstanding).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 AM
 
2,149 posts, read 2,345,765 times
Reputation: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Agree. We have had police officer friends over the years and all will tell you that most cops are lousy shots and under pressure or stress it's even worse.

And that's why it's great for all of us to take ONE firearms course for concealed carry and be able to defend ourselves in the dark of night just seconds after a noise awakens us, or in the middle of the day at the mall while we are shopping with our kids and enjoying a foamy fruit drink and a giant pretzel.
Yep, no stress or pressure there, just good cool level headed pull your weapon and plug the perp! After all you had that firearm training two years ago and your middle name is John........... wasn't that Rambo's first name, we all saw how cool and calculating he was under stress and pressure.
Gosh, just talking about it has made me feel safer already!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,693 posts, read 23,052,105 times
Reputation: 14331
They said on the news last night that it wasn't clear if the suspect was hit. I'm not Columbo or anything but wouldn't there be some blood laying around if he had been hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,955,524 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Without preaching, please take a firearms course through one of the local dealers - either Firepower in Matthews or Hyatt's on Wilkinson Blvd. Knowing when, where, how, etc. of protecting yourself (NOT your property) will keep you out of jail and potentially out a law suit by some perp or his family (the Castle Doctrine withstanding).
I am so glad you aren't preaching b/c I was asking the question to increase the general discussion.

I have had several courses on firearm use and firearms safety and have been firing weapons since I was 12 - shotguns, rifles and handguns.

I thought it would add to the discussion for folks to know what is allowable.

But I guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM
 
84 posts, read 131,377 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so glad you aren't preaching b/c I was asking the question to increase the general discussion.

I have had several courses on firearm use and firearms safety and have been firing weapons since I was 12 - shotguns, rifles and handguns.

I thought it would add to the discussion for folks to know what is allowable.

But I guess not.
From the class I was in, it seemed that it was okay to discharge if you felt your life was in danger or threat was imminent. If somebody breaks into your home or you find somebody already in your home, its okay to shoot because you would assume they might kill you. This is what I gathered. But it all seems to be very gray. My instructor just kept telling us that he would rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top