U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM

21 posts, read 20,941 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Nicole and I am from Flint, MI which is dubbed as the most dangerous city in America. As u can guess, I absolutely HATE living here. It's cold here, the economy sucks, I can't find a job with my degree, and it's not safe. So, I have been reasearching a lot of different cities and as a result I have taken a great interest in the Queen City. I just have a few questions and concerns before officially deciding that I want to move there.

1) Me and my bf will be saving up $5,000 before moving so we can cover moving and living expenses. We will not be moving there with jobs lined up, so we will use the saved money to hold us over until we can find employment. We plan to rent an apartment for about $575/mo and we expect to find employment within 2 weeks of our arrival. Is it easy to find a job in Charlotte? I mean, I would probably look for a waitressing job FIRST so I can have a job secured before looking for employment with my Paralegal degree.
2) My bf is into autobody tech (collision repair and paint jobs) ... will it be easy for him to find a job in that field?
3) Me and my boyfriend are an interracial couple and we will both be 23 by the time we move. I'm white and he's black. Flint is pretty accepting of mixed-race couples and it is very common here so we have never had any problems. Will things be different in NC? I know this is the "south" and that worries me a little bit.
4) We want to live in a diverse area with relatively low rent. I heard the west side is not the best area. What would you recommend?

Thanks for your feedback !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 3,399 times
Charlotte is a more liberal area compared to most of North Carolina. I've seen many interracial couples (mostly young 20s). I don't think that will be a problem down here.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,726,281 times
Firstly, if you plan on coming down with $5,000 and getting a job and an apartment for $575 per month, you may find it difficult. You will not be able to live in a low crime area for that price. Secondly, there are jobs in the lowest paying chains, ie. McDonald's etc, but others are competitive. To get a job as a para-legal, an above average resume and references will be required. Finally, you will fit in if you are nice, respect you neighbors, and support yourselves. Nothing else really matters. Charlotte is very diverse and therefore tollerant. As like everywhere else, the under 35 group contains most of the liberal crowd, so you might want to look at University City with lots of diversity, jobs, and some affordable housing. Seriously, I'd check out Atlanta first. I believe the economy might be better there.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,010,460 times
Martha Washington Apts in Elizabeth will fit your price range. Great area of town, but still an urban area.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Firstly, if you plan on coming down with $5,000 and getting a job and an apartment for $575 per month, you may find it difficult. You will not be able to live in a low crime area for that price. Secondly, there are jobs in the lowest paying chains, ie. McDonald's etc, but others are competitive. To get a job as a para-legal, an above average resume and references will be required. Finally, you will fit in if you are nice, respect you neighbors, and support yourselves. Nothing else really matters. Charlotte is very diverse and therefore tollerant. As like everywhere else, the under 35 group contains most of the liberal crowd, so you might want to look at University City with lots of diversity, jobs, and some affordable housing. Seriously, I'd check out Atlanta first. I believe the economy might be better there.
So you don't beleive it would be easy for me to get a waitressing job once I get down there? I've worked in fast food before and I really don't want to look at that as an option

Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,010,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole8061 View Post
So you don't beleive it would be easy for me to get a waitressing job once I get down there? I've worked in fast food before and I really don't want to look at that as an option
I'll be frank with you.

If you're good looking and take care of yourself, dress, speak and present yourself well, and can display a solid grasp of the industry in an interview getting hired will be easy.

If you're not all those things it will get harder. How much harder depends on how far away from that you are.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,883,976 times
Why don't you go on the website for employment and check out the job situation and get a job before you come here? If you don't like that job, you could always go looking for another one.

www.ncesc.com

Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Why don't you go on the website for employment and check out the job situation and get a job before you come here? If you don't like that job, you could always go looking for another one.

www.ncesc.com
I have looked at jobs online in the Charlotte area and the job market appears to be waaayyyy better than where I'm from. But even here in Michigan I have not had trouble maintaining employment as far as waitressing and other quick-cash jobs. I'm a hustler and hard worker so I'm fairly confident in my abilities. I think I will probably submit some online applications 2 weeks before I move for better chances of having a job when I arrive. Thank you for the link

Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'll be frank with you.

If you're good looking and take care of yourself, dress, speak and present yourself well, and can display a solid grasp of the industry in an interview getting hired will be easy.

If you're not all those things it will get harder. How much harder depends on how far away from that you are.
Thank you very much for the input. I have a smiley/bubbly personality and I conduct myself well with customers so that gives me confidence in myself. I was just wondering if there was a good market for waitresses because there are not a ton of restaurants where I live so it's actually challenging to get a waitressing position. It's pretty competitive.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,224,407 times
There are lots of Restaurants here in CLT, but there are also lots of students from UNCC and CPCC so you will have some competition. The Restaurant industry can be pretty clicky...take it from someone who's wife was a server/bartender for about 10 years before moving on to the professional world. Once you get your foot in the door somewhere it may get a little easier after you make a few connections. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte