U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM

520 posts, read 772,370 times

Advertisements

I am having a hearty meal and going to sleep early tonight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,216,823 times
It sucks it's 12/21/12 in Sydney already. No news

Old 12-20-2012, 08:09 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,131,040 times
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,921,317 times
nice pic!

Old 12-20-2012, 09:41 AM

I get nervous talking about this end of the world nonsense. Even though I know it is crap, I equate it to whistling past a graveyard. I don't do it just in case.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:00 PM

569 posts, read 1,224,510 times
Charlotte and end of the world-images.jpg

Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,025,558 times
Though this thread is a joke, I guess I'm one of the few who decided to do some research on this Mayan mess. For starters, the Mayans were NOT predicting the end of the Earth. #2, the Calendar in question was not the Mayan's. It was handed down to the Mayans by a MUCH older civilization called the Olmecs in which the Mayan's felt were their ancestors. If one would dig a little deeper, you'd find that the Mayans did not call them "Olmecs". "Olmecs" was the name that was given to this older civilization of Mexico and Central America.

Much of this really isn't talked about in the main stream. The fact that these ancient stone heads found in Mexico have extremely African features raises alot of questions. According to our world view, blacks/Africans were not in the "New World" during ancient times. Well, there's proof that such a view is dead wrong.

I won't go any further on THAT particular angle of this topic, but I will say this though. There will be a Friday, a Saturday, and a Sunday. As a matter of fact, there will be many many more days beyond tomorrow. One last thing, when I said that these stone heads were massive, I meant
taller-than-man massive.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-20-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 02:04 PM

I had neither the time nor the inclination to research this Mayan mess. I had too many other academic pursuits eating up my time during this past year.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:19 PM

8,106 posts, read 2,779,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So long and thanks for all the fish.

Do you know where your towel is?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,025,558 times
Quote:
I had neither the time nor the inclination to research this Mayan mess. I had too many other academic pursuits eating up my time during this past year.
But you had the time to get a little nervous about it?
Quote:
I get nervous talking about this end of the world nonsense. Even though I know it is crap, I equate it to whistling past a graveyard. I don't do it just in case.
I personally never got nervous, but I did get curious about it (actually, I got curious 10 years ago when my mother was talking about it). So I did a little (and I do mean a little) research and found some rather interesting findings; none of which point to the end of the world.

FWIW, it's good to hear about your more important academic pursuits. Just know that if those pursuits have anything to do with bringing you more money; you ain't taking that money with you when the graveyard is a reality (none of us will). This fact is probably the real reason why you don't wish to whistle past a graveyard. That graveyard reminds you of the fact that your "more important pursuits" mean nothing when your time is up.

It's like my mother used to say; "Baby, if the graveyard scares you, you probably ain't living the way you truly want to live. I've lived my life to the fullest and I'm ready to go when it comes". She died a few months after that statement BTW.

The bottomline is that your (and everyone else's) "end times" were destined to happen the second your dad's sperm met up with your mother's egg. IMO, moms was right. Anyone who fears the inevitable (even just a little bit) probably are wasting their time in life doing what their hearts really don't want.

Trust me, this is NOT a tired rant about "Get God in your life" because I personally don't believe in such a being to be honest (at least, not anymore I don't). It is a rant about "finding you". That's what really bothers me about the topic of death and end times in general. The fear that it puts in people tells me that we (as a society) are not happy with what we've accomplished here in the living-physical world.

We have pro-athletes (people who should be happy) killing their baby mommas and themselves; WHY? We have rather well-off suburban kids shooting up the elementary schools; Why? I'm being serious here, so none of this is a laughing matter.

With some of the things that's going on around the world as of late, why do we fear an end to it? Is it really worth saving huh? If for some reason the universe decided that the Earth human needs to go, can we honestly disagree with such a decision. We kill each other. We step on each other for our own financial gain. We turn our noses up at the "uneducated", the "Fry cook", the "Farmer", the "banker", "the soldier" and just about any other professional. We look down on others with different sexual orientations (as if heterosexual sex is "clean").

In closing, I think a good converstation about end times should start with a good conversation about "what have we done to deserve not having an end times". We know we've been bad to each other; that's why we fear "the end".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or