U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:14 PM

42,302 posts, read 49,160,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Hahaha! I haven't gotten the job yet, but the interview went very well and I have a second interview on Thursday. So...lets keep our fingers crossed, but if not, oh well.

But yes, that's what I was planning on doing. Stopping at the one where the 77 and 485 meet so that I could avoid having to walk a mile or more to get to the office building (which is what my friend has to do because she just moved there and that's all that was open for parking) and not having to deal with the traffic out that way. I see that they are also planning one for Matthews but I can't find when the projected completion date is.

PS What was the rationale in not putting the lightrail system to the Ballyntyne area? Just curious.
Actually, the lightrail is not going to Matthews. It is basically going to run north/south parralel to I77 on old railroad lines that aren't used any more and have been rehabbed to fit the light rail cars. It will also follow I85 up to the University area eventually. There are however, great express buses - you should really look at riding the one that picks up at Stonecrest, a much better short commute for you than going over to Pineville to catch the light rail. Believe me, traffic on hwy 51 or I485 heading to Pineville in the morning or afternoon is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM

4,732 posts, read 12,552,993 times
Buses have to sit in traffic just like cars, which is their major disadvantage. Sure, not driving yourself will alleviate some stress, but it will take the same amount of time.

You can easily cut down to ballantyne Commons Parkway to the road that turns into South Blvd/Polk St and avoid 485 altogether to get to the light rail stop.

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Buses have to sit in traffic just like cars, which is their major disadvantage. Sure, not driving yourself will alleviate some stress, but it will take the same amount of time.

You can easily cut down to ballantyne Commons Parkway to the road that turns into South Blvd/Polk St and avoid 485 altogether to get to the light rail stop.
Groove, have you been that way lately? The area really is a mess in the morning. The bus may take just as long as driving yourself but it is so much more enjoyable to not be the one in the drivers seat. Plus, the express buses are very plush and comfortable, some people actually catnap all the way to work

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM

241 posts, read 563,775 times
Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Rapid+Transit+Planning/Southeast+Corridor/Home.htm - broken link)

This website says that it is planned for the southeast corridor of Charlotte. Am I confusing this with some other type of transportation system? It appears that it is supposed to start at CPCC Levine campus. It says rapid transit so I just thought that that meant the light rail. If not, what is rapid transit?

"SOUTHEAST CORRIDOR
The proposed Southeast Corridor Rapid Transit Project is one of Charlotte's five rapid transit corridors. The Southeast Corridor extends approximately 13.5 miles from Charlotte's Center City to the border of Mecklenburg and Union Counties, terminating at Central Piedmont Community College's Levine Campus."

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Rapid+Transit+Planning/Southeast+Corridor/Home.htm - broken link)

This website says that it is planned for the southeast corridor of Charlotte. Am I confusing this with some other type of transportation system? It appears that it is supposed to start at CPCC Levine campus.

"SOUTHEAST CORRIDOR
The proposed Southeast Corridor Rapid Transit Project is one of Charlotte's five rapid transit corridors. The Southeast Corridor extends approximately 13.5 miles from Charlotte's Center City to the border of Mecklenburg and Union Counties, terminating at Central Piedmont Community College's Levine Campus."

A rapid transit corridor doesn't necessarily mean a light rail line. It just means the express buses and local buses and new lanes they will get to move them thru traffic faster. There is no light rail going to Matthews.

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

I havent been around BC Parkway in the morning. I'm sure it is a mess, but it can't be as bad as 485 inbound.

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

So, probably something like the lanes here in CA where only the bus or HOV's can ride in?

Also, my dad told me that they are hoping to expand the 485 in that part of Charlotte to 3-lane (which I could've been the brilliant engineer to get paid all that money to make that stupid decision and I don't even live there yet!). Is this true? When is this proposed?

Unread 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So, probably something like the lanes here in CA where only the bus or HOV's can ride in?

Also, my dad told me that they are hoping to expand the 485 in that part of Charlotte to 3-lane (which I could've been the brilliant engineer to get paid all that money to make that stupid decision and I don't even live there yet!). Is this true? When is this proposed?
Exactly, hov's only for buses is the plan

I485 in south Charlotte is not sceduled to be widened for at least 8 years I believe. Money is still being spent to try to finish the dang thing! There is some talk about taking the shoulders and making them temporary lanes in the highest trafficked places until then though.

Unread 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Basically yes to the first part. The 2nd part is around 2013. It isnt so much a matter of it being only two lanes; the exits are the old short exits of like 2500 feet with no cloverleaf design. If you are driving outbound on 485 in the right lane, you have 2500 feet of warning and then the lane ends. The merging along those exits, mainly 64 and 65 a and b, is horrible. This is of course the oldest part of the loop. It gets a little better on the newer segments.

Unread 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM

2013!!!! Holy moly batman! I guess I will just beg for early/flex hours if I do get the job. My friend who grew up in Charlotte and lived out in CA for a while and has since moved back says it's nothing like out in CA, but I guess it's getting there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte