U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 28,098 times

Advertisements

I'm an european single woman in my mid-twenties and am in the midst of planning college studies in America. Charlotte is one city that is very high on my list of possible cities to move to. I'm worried though about my living without car bit since Charlotte only have a score of 38 on walkscore.com, is it possible to live without car? Do you have to go far to buy grocceries etc.?

I'd like to study at the Central Piedmont College, are there safe apartments around that area where the rent for a studio apartment is a maximinum of 800 dollars? And if there are, are they easy to get? Is there good shopping and nightlife around that area? Or could I live in an other area further away from the college if it's easy accessible to the school through bicycle, public transit etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,349,543 times
The difficult thing about Central Piedmont is that it consists of multiple campus locations all over the Charlotte-metro area. Depending on your course of study, you may find that the majority of your classes are NOT located at the main downtown campus.

If you find that your classes are taught at the main location, you should be able to find housing in the Elizabeth or Plaza Midwood neighborhoods, perhaps. Plaza Midwood might be a good choice, especially -- the local grocery store is undergoing renovations and should reopen in the spring.

It's true that Charlotte is a sprawling city, and it's hard to get around without a car. Not impossible. Just not always very convenient. If you find yourself settling in Plaza Midwood or Elizabeth or one of those neighborhoods, could you invest in a scooter? We're starting to see more and more of those around.

(If the majority of your classes are taught at one of the satellite campuses, you might find that a car is more of a necessity.)

Rents in Charlotte are pricey at the moment. A 1BR/1BA will probably cost $800/month, possibly even more, but you might find better prices if you go through a property management company. (I pay $1050 for a 2/2 in an apartment complex in south Charlotte, but a friend pays $850 for a 2/2 house (duplex) in Plaza Midwood. Of course, she's lived there for about 8 years now, and I don't think they increase her rent each year.) On top of rent, you will probably have to pay water ($15-$25/month) and power ($50-$100/month).

Here's a blog that can introduce you to some of the area neighborhoods: HipHoods

Old 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,610 times
If you can find a place in a central area near CPCC, you can get around without a car (whether bicycle or bus). However, there are some neighborhoods you may want to avoid in this area as well. You could also use Craigslist to look for a room in a shared apartment or house. Plaza Midwood and Elizabeth would be the best areas but I'm not sure you can find something (solo) in a good area for 800.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:03 AM

21 posts, read 28,098 times
Thank you both for your answers! Oh, I see, I hope then that I'll sudy at the central one. Could it be that you study in different campuses at the same time? I'm thinking about sociology, but I can't seem to find at what campus it is at? Central Piedmont Community College — A Leader in Workforce Development

In case I end up at the central campus I could for sure see myself invest in a scooter.
What are the areas the bad ones btw? Also, where do most people live that are studying in campuses further away? Do they live near the campuses or do they live more central and communicate to school? Thanks for the link Niftybergin!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,024,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myalice View Post
Thank you both for your answers! Oh, I see, I hope then that I'll sudy at the central one. Could it be that you study in different campuses at the same time? I'm thinking about sociology, but I can't seem to find at what campus it is at? Central Piedmont Community College — A Leader in Workforce Development

In case I end up at the central campus I could for sure see myself invest in a scooter.
What are the areas the bad ones btw? Also, where do most people live that are studying in campuses further away? Do they live near the campuses or do they live more central and communicate to school? Thanks for the link Niftybergin!
CPCC is a commuter school; there are no dorms or housing. All different types of people attend CPCC for various reasons, so some live near the campus they attend, some don't. Your best bet for questions about a specific course of study is to call and speak with someone at the college. They're very helpful there.

Looking at walkability, you have to take it neighborhood by neighborhood. Charlotte is a very large sprawling city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte