U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,526 times

Advertisements

I have been here (Huntersville) for 3 months now, my wife as well. I have applied for hundreds of jobs. I have an accounting degree and 2+ years accounting experiance. I have recieved 3 interviews and while they seemed to go well but I never hear from them again. My wife has a decade of experiance as a paralegal and she does not get any calls? I have gone the restaurant route, coffee shops, paper delivery routes, etc and nothing!!! I will be completly out of $$ in a couple weeks and then I will be homeless. Is it because I am from CT?? If anyone knows please help, I am so desperate at this point!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:23 PM

222 posts, read 632,345 times
Default No

It's not because you are Northern. Please go read the So hard finding a job post. It's not just you. Good luck

Old 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,762,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam07 View Post
I have been here (Huntersville) for 3 months now, my wife as well. I have applied for hundreds of jobs. I have an accounting degree and 2+ years accounting experiance. I have recieved 3 interviews and while they seemed to go well but I never hear from them again. My wife has a decade of experiance as a paralegal and she does not get any calls? I have gone the restaurant route, coffee shops, paper delivery routes, etc and nothing!!! I will be completly out of $$ in a couple weeks and then I will be homeless. Is it because I am from CT?? If anyone knows please help, I am so desperate at this point!!

That's a tough profession- I know several people with accounting backgrounds who have had a tough time. I think the same is with anyone in HR. Many have taken temp jobs, and a few have turned out to be perm. It's not because of being from the NE, it's there's just more supply than demand right now.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM

462 posts, read 1,686,542 times
Not sure if you saw this thread. Need Help Unloading a Trailer
Hey, it's a days pay. Good luck. Hope you find something soon!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM

58 posts, read 116,335 times
Quote:
No way. MAYBE you might run into one person who might treat you that way. Maybe even more than one, but it's all highly unlikely. If you are knocking on as many doors as you say you are, you can't seriously believe that where you are from is the reason that you're not having any success.

I don't know your situation, but if you moved without a job, that was your first mistake. That's in the past though.

As far as becoming homeless, I don't know how much money you have left, and that's your business. But if the situation is truly as desperate as you say it is, and if you are able to walk or drive or catch a bus, I'm pretty sure you can get something. Maybe just not what you thought you were going to get.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM

273 posts, read 1,215,762 times
Quote:
not to hijack your thread or anything but where in CT are you from? I am also from CT and I'm also having an impossible time finding work. Like someone said theres way too many qualified people looking for jobs and not enough jobs. I mean looking on say Aetna, The Hartford, St Paul Travelers, and other insurance companies websites in Charlotte offices they have like barely ANY open positions, combined with probably thousands of people trying to fill those and its ridiculous. Just for 12/hr jobs they're getting people with like 5 yrs experience and a bachelors degree with certification in quickbooks and other things. 12/hr in ct is like working at mcdonalds fulltime...literally. So I'm with you. I saved a lottt of money before I moved down here, so it will be a little longer before I'm homeless, but worst comes to worst you can rent our 2nd bedroom for cheap cheap if you need to (a little weird not knowing you, just saying its beneficial to both parties haha) I was actually just talking to my ex gf and she is working at kpmg in her 2nd year they already bumped her to 61k since she finished her extra 30 credits WTF?? I was tutoring HER at Uconn haha, and I'm the one that cant get a job b/c my degree is in math/statistics UGH.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,526 times
LETS GO METS- why did you respond? Just wanted to make me feel worse or something. If you lived in CT you would understand why I would move w/o a job- its be rich and love it there or scrape by everyday barely making it. I had a one bedroom condo in a cheaper section- 900 sf and my mortgage payment was $1300 a month- thats why I moved.

Jaded- I am from New Milford- I worked at Danbury Hospital before I headed down. My favorite thing I have seen here is 35K, 5 years experiance, CPA preferred!! Thats a 90K job in CT. I mean I realize I would make less then 50K but that is ridiculous!! I applied to f-in Caribou Coffee and no calls back at all. It just seems so unreal!!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
LETS GO METS- why did you respond? Just wanted to make me feel worse or something. If you lived in CT you would understand why I would move w/o a job- its be rich and love it there or scrape by everyday barely making it. I had a one bedroom condo in a cheaper section- 900 sf and my mortgage payment was $1300 a month- thats why I moved.
Are you only looking for responses that make you feel better? Is that going to help you?

I live in New York. You think it's cheap there?

But as a rule of thumb, you never go anywhere unless you have a job.

It's too bad someone decided to delete my other post. They did it in a way that makes it look like I was taking a shot at your spelling. Total nonsense. That wasn't my intention at all.

I'll say it again. If the situation is as desperate as you say it is, and you have any way of getting around, you can get something. What else should someone say to you?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I had a one bedroom condo in a cheaper section- 900 sf and my mortgage payment was $1300 a month- thats why I moved.
And I would say you were preaching to the choir, but I'm paying about twice that for about the same space.

The point is, you gotta eat. Take anything. ANYTHING.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:20 PM

435 posts, read 1,676,815 times
98% of the people in Charlotte are transplants (be it from other states or other parts of NC). The Northern Background has nothing to do with it. The fact is hundreds of people are moving to Charlotte everyday in a situation similar to yours. They move & don't have jobs. There are jobs in Charlotte, but not enough for the amount of people moving into the city. You have hundreds of people applying for the same jobs that are all equally qualified for these positions. Then add in recent graduates moving back home trying to get into these same jobs as well. I was in the same position. I graduated, moved back to Charlotte, couldn't get a job. Had a couple of short term jobs. Then I joined a temp agency, got a full time job from the temp agency that paid my bills for a year & a half. Then after hundreds, even thousands of applications I got a job. But it wasn't in Charlotte, so I had to move (which I didn't mind doing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or