Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl40 View Post
Thank you all! I think she would live on campus so that's not a huge concern! What is a good address to put in to locate distance to different schools and things (assuming living in the Ballantyne area). Also, I've searched this forum for info on the Palisades (i think that's the spelling!) but is it close distance wise to Ballantyne? We do like the idea of living somewhere that has an active social life, since we will not know anyone in the area! Thank you!
Palisades are even further out to everything. It makes even worse since it is nowhere near an interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM

11 posts, read 34,303 times
We are alos from the northeast and are looking to relocate to South Charlotte and send our kids to Catholic schools. We visited and were impressed by St Ann's Catholic school in Rock Hill, SC. A little bit of a drive but we wanted a k-8 school...

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you live in SC, then you will pay out of state tuition to attend UNCC or any school in the NC state university system. There is no consideration for SC residents even if you live just across the state line.
Interesting, my NC friends have kids who all want to go to Clemson or USC and are facing this problem quite in reverse. This is one area where I think SC has the draw, for my friends at least, over UNCC, or NC State.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Palisades are even further out to everything. It makes even worse since it is nowhere near an interstate.
I agree, Palisades is a mess commute-wise. Just one way in, and one way out, and tons of traffic on that road until you hit 485.

The main SC/Ballantyne option that I am aware of is the Bridgehampton neighborhood, a John Weiland development that actually has the state line running through it near the clubhouse. About half the neighborhood is in NC. The other half is in SC. It's 2-3 miles past Ballantyne down Johnston Rd/521.

Another Weiland neighborhood, all in SC, is Bridgemill, about 4-5 miles south of Bridgehampton, also on 521.

Union County and Waxhaw are both great NC areas to live. Ballantyne itself is quite posh, but somewhat pricey. It's a fantastic place to live near though.

I view south Charlotte roads as spokes on a wheel, with Uptown being the center, and 485 traversing them all.

One exit farther east of Johnston/521 is Rea Rd, very close to St. Matthews, and good areas there. One exit to the west is Pineville, which is a little bit older. I don't see a lot about Pineville that appeals to me personally to live in, but that's just me. I'm sure others like it very much.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
Hi Island Girl
We toured St. Matthew's and were very impressed with the school. The facilities are completely updated. the children seemed very happy when we walked around. We will be moving too and are very excited.
Good luck!!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
Interesting, my NC friends have kids who all want to go to Clemson or USC and are facing this problem quite in reverse. This is one area where I think SC has the draw, for my friends at least, over UNCC, or NC State.
UNCC, NC State, Clemson, and USC are all fine schools. I personally considered all of these when looking to get a BS in Engineering. Unfortunately, like fishing licenses, there are no reciprocal agreements between the two states on tuition.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
UNCC, NC State, Clemson, and USC are all fine schools. I personally considered all of these when looking to get a BS in Engineering. Unfortunately, like fishing licenses, there are no reciprocal agreements between the two states on tuition.
I heard a funny thing via FB the other day (so that tells you what the veracity of this rumor may or may not be) that SC does reciprocate some if the NC student is an honors student or something?

Here's what they said:

Quote:
Isn't there some sort of deal with some SC colleges that they will allow NC residents to only have to pay in-state tuition?

Response: you are correct. If they enter the Honors program and maintain a 3.0 GPA, they pay instate resident. Which would be most helpfup!!!
Maybe NC does the same thing??

Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
My advice would be to verify it with the admissions office of the school you are interested in.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Clemson and USC offers in-state tuition reciprocity to NC resident if they meet the minimum SAT and GPA set by each college. You need to check with admissions to see what current requirements are. USC used to require 1350 SAT for in-state tuition, possibly 31/32 ACT. I believe Clemson requirements are slightly higher

Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM

537 posts, read 1,767,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Clemson and USC offers in-state tuition reciprocity to NC resident if they meet the minimum SAT and GPA set by each college. You need to check with admissions to see what current requirements are. USC used to require 1350 SAT for in-state tuition, possibly 31/32 ACT. I believe Clemson requirements are slightly higher
I believe you also have to be accepted through their early admissions program(s) to be able to apply for that in-state tuition deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte