U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 11:42 PM

9 posts, read 11,154 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am currently living up North and am planning on relocating to a warmer climate to seek new employment opportunities. I was an accountant years ago, but switched to teaching after my second child was born. Now that he's about to go off to college I don't have to worry about staying up North where the COL is killing me.

I recently finished an MS in accounting and am looking to get back into the field. I also plan on getting my CPA in the next couple months. I am targeting to relocate by the end of summer 2013 and Charlotte is on my short list. I'll have between 1 to 2 years living expenses covered so I will have some time to do some job hunting. My questions are as followed:

1) How is the job market for accounting/finance positions in Charlotte? Doesn't have to necessarily be a firm, would be interested in working for corporations, non-profits, universities, etc too. How about teaching jobs (k-12)?

2)Where would be the best place to live? My criteria:
Budget: 1300-1500 a month.

Style: Condo/townhome 2br 1-2 bath.

Other Prefs: Schools are not important but I do need a SAFE environment. This is the first time in over two decades that I'll be living alone. I would like to be in vibrant neighborhood (NO SUBURBIA!!) where I could be in close proximity to shopping, dinning, entertainment, gyms/parks.

I know that where I eventually work will ultimately dictate where I live, but some suggestions of neighborhoods that fit my preferences would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,955,821 times
Answers:
  1. Saturated with out of work bankers and others from the finance industry. Charlotte is home or has significant presence of several TBTF banks. This is an industry that has no where to go but down and as a result there are plenty of people with these skills looking for work.
  2. Charlotte is almost ALL suburbia. There are a few high profile neighborhoods near downtown where there are some condo town homes within walking distance of some of the items you list, but this will be a trade off of safety vs. cost. Ideally Davidson would meet your needs, but this is a small town in the North of the county. Otherwise, given what you stated, I'd look for a place around Southpark. It's not as bad as some of the more recent suburbia, and fairly close to the inner city.

If you are simply looking for a place in the Carolinas, then given what you have stated, there are probably better choices than the Charlotte area.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,128,329 times
As a middle aged single female that actually works in one of those TBTF banks (and is from up north) let me chime in:
>first & foremost, the COL is NOT that much cheaper here. That is a fallacy left over from years ago when it actually was true. Now, housing is far more reasonable up north (and mind you, when I am talking "up north", I am in reference to Chicago where I have actually made these comparisons) and the houses are of (much) sturdier construction. Food/groceries are actually cheaper up north...by a long shot...and utilities are cheaper due to the better insulation of the homes. Now, taxes are higher, I will grant you, but, here in Charlotte we have lots of "little" taxes that you have never heard of...such as property tax on your car, HOA fees, food taxes, etc. Also, since there is no public transportation to speak of (unless you live in S. Charlotte, and then it is quite limited), the car expenses are quite a bit higher.
>While things at the TBTF bank are not quite as dire as Frewroad has stated, they are not good. Jobs are definitely not plentiful and there are many, many people with your credentials with tons of experience that are all competing for that coveted accounting position. Also, down here, it is a much more relational type place...it is who you know,not what you know. Since you would be (obviously) new to the area, you would have a difficult time, IMHO. Additionally, the payscales here are abysmal...and, this is a right to work state, meaning that, as an employee, the only rights you have are the federally protected ones.
>Pretty much ALL of the south is like a giant suburbia. the "cities" are somewhat tiny (by comparison) and rarely walkable by northern standards. You may find a pocket or two that fits your bill, but, you are not going to find the dense city vibe that you sound like you would like.
>wishing you the best in finding somewhere to fit in. I would recommend taking vacations to several places on your list, stay for as long as possible and then make your decision.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,479,562 times
It is true there are funny little costs here that you don't normally encounter elsewhere. Apartment complexes in Charlotte often charge a "fee" for trash and water. That was included in the rent in other places I have lived, even in N.C.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,747,009 times
While it's true that Charlotte is not the best place if you don't like suburbia, there are some really nice neighborhoods close to downtown which have excellent public transportation, bike paths and are quite walkable. These neighborhoods are Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, Dilworth, Myers Park and South End. I suggest you do a real estate search in these areas to get an idea of prices.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:04 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,479,562 times
My advice is that if you move without a job lined up, rent an apartment in suburbia for the first year even if it isn't what you really want. It's hard to get money back that has been spent!

Find work, then when things are stable, you can look in the trendier central city neighborhoods. There is no big rush. Get familiar with the city, and where you really would like to live by exploring first hand.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:59 AM

21,982 posts, read 27,263,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyshane View Post
Hi!

I am currently living up North and am planning on relocating to a warmer climate to seek new employment opportunities. I was an accountant years ago, but switched to teaching after my second child was born. Now that he's about to go off to college I don't have to worry about staying up North where the COL is killing me.

I recently finished an MS in accounting and am looking to get back into the field. I also plan on getting my CPA in the next couple months. I am targeting to relocate by the end of summer 2013 and Charlotte is on my short list. I'll have between 1 to 2 years living expenses covered so I will have some time to do some job hunting. My questions are as followed:

1) How is the job market for accounting/finance positions in Charlotte? Doesn't have to necessarily be a firm, would be interested in working for corporations, non-profits, universities, etc too. How about teaching jobs (k-12)?

2)Where would be the best place to live? My criteria:
Budget: 1300-1500 a month.

Style: Condo/townhome 2br 1-2 bath.

Other Prefs: Schools are not important but I do need a SAFE environment. This is the first time in over two decades that I'll be living alone. I would like to be in vibrant neighborhood (NO SUBURBIA!!) where I could be in close proximity to shopping, dinning, entertainment, gyms/parks.

I know that where I eventually work will ultimately dictate where I live, but some suggestions of neighborhoods that fit my preferences would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Up north is not very descriptive. If you live in the MidAtlantic your personal definition of what you want could be quite different from someone in the NYC metro, New England, or the upper Midwest.

Have you considered looking for teaching jobs in the community colleges?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 11,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Up north is not very descriptive. If you live in the MidAtlantic your personal definition of what you want could be quite different from someone in the NYC metro, New England, or the upper Midwest.

Have you considered looking for teaching jobs in the community colleges?
Less than an hour outside of Boston so pretty pricey.

For all those suggesting making a visit, I will be coming down for 3 days next month.

Any more suggestions for neighborhoods to check out?

Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,024,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneyshane View Post
Any more suggestions for neighborhoods to check out?
I'd suggest looking at rentals in Charlotte's 1st ward, 4th ward, or the Southend area. There are quite a few other central Charlotte areas that you might like, but I've got a feeling that the aforementioned 3 would be the best fit for what you're looking for. Just understand that these 3 will also be at the higher end of your $1,300-$1,500/month budget. Good luck, and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,733,988 times
I noticed that you posted this to the Dallas and Houston boards. Good idea and don't forget about Austin.
Check their stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or