U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 04:08 PM

494 posts, read 677,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Yes, it is so great that a right wing station is gone. Nobody should have the right to look at politics from a prospective other than the left. No matter what left wing politician runs the country, he is correct in all decisions and should have the support of everyone without question. Those that oppose should be shot. I can't wait until the government starts monitoring message boards and all other such media to keep morons having an opinion away. No place in this country for anyone that questions our flawless government.

It would take a very ignorant person to 'not' appreciate the benefit of evaluating two differing views and having the right to chose which option is 'right' in their heart. Rationality requires making the best choice from different prospectives. Being glad that right wing news and media aren't available allowing people to see both sides of the spectrum truly shows ignorance. It is all part of checks and balances which is absolutely neccessary to have a government for the people which, by the way, means all views, not just leftist ones.
No one (especially me) has said anything remotely close to what you are talking about. I actually said the opposite. No government monitoring of anything. This is typical of the right. Don't agree with their thinking? You must be unpatriotic, and for government oppression.
To say that what I have said means I don't want debate of the ideas is hyperbole and means you weren't closely reading my posts.

No one has said that opposing viewpoints should be silenced. No one has said all views on the right are bad. No one has said that debate is bad.
Right wing radio, and especially Rush Limbaugh (who I specifically mentioned) as currently constituted is not discourse. They are not rational. It is hate spewing vitriol that decreases the level of discourse in this country. I never said I don't want anything on the right articulated or voiced. I just don't like the personalities and would be happy to see them gone. There is no equivalent of these personalities on the left (and if someone trots out Bill Maher as an example, I think I will scream).

I disagree with the premise that we want all views to have a wide mouthpiece. As I said before everyone has the right to say what they want, but I don't have to like it, support it, or want those views in wide circulation.

Let me give you an example. The Westboro Baptist Church protests at military funerals, funerals of AIDS victims, and most recently at funerals of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary shootings. They protest because they do not like the fact that we allow gay rights in this country. They say horrible things to people while they are grieving. These people are some of the most vile individuals to walk this Earth. They are absolute scoundrels.
I think they should be allowed to have their protests, and the courts have repeatedly upheld this right. The police protect these people from harm. I agree with all of these things.
But if you asked me if these people went away or no longer had a platform, would I be happy? Absolutely. So would most people.
I don't know why it is difficult that someone can support free speech but be happy when speech they find offensive is gone and not want wide dissemination of such speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
This message is for everyone.

This thread is ONLY about this radio station and similar formats on either side.

Everyone has done a good job keeping civil and keeping the topic related to this station, lets not drift now in discussing non Charlotte related topics.

Thanks

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-05-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 PM

11,717 posts, read 9,343,453 times
I think some of the responses that act as though rights are suppressed, only the left matter, censorship, unpatriotic accusations, etc. and so on are the reason people are happy this station changed to sports radio.

They can still be accessed on the internet and they aren't in jail... Stations change formats all the time, it isn't suppression it's a marketing decision.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
[quote=Niceguy17;27637491]To say that what I have said means I don't want debate of the ideas is hyperbole and means you weren't closely reading my posts.

Actually you are right in one respect, I didn't read any of your posts. Nothing I said was remotely associated with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte