U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,654,239 times

Advertisements

An economic forecast by PNC Financial Services Group predicts Charlotte's employment will grow 2.1% in 2013, more than the 1.4% rise the country as a whole is expected to see. That's also better than the the 1.3% increase the city was expected to see in 2012.

Over the long term, low business costs and a young, growing, educated population will enable Charlotte to outperform the U.S.," the economists write.

The unemployment rate will decline, but stay stuck higher than the national average as population increases partially counteract job growth.

read more here
Economic forecast: Charlotte will grow faster than U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 PM

239 posts, read 311,677 times
Nothing that we really did not know already.. lol. Charlotte's unemployement rate is always going to be pretty high, or atleast for the foreseeable future, just do to the shear volume of people moving to the area, which definitely outweighs the job-employment process.

But Charlotte is definitely a growing city, which is reflected in every fiber of its being.
From what I understand, the Charlotte area is expected to see an estimated growth of around 60-70,000 people in 2013, which does NOT include the people moving AWAY from the area.

Great to see the progress! And if Charlotte can gets its professional sports scene together to a competitive, play-off level, then the energy in this city would be through the roof. And I have always said, that makes a WORLD of difference, and a smaller-big city like Charlotte.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,178,053 times
Note: It's all dependent on demand from consumers. Currently demand is down, so Charlotte will follow the national trends. The banking industry is not increasing employment but decreasing employment. Getting forecasts from out-of-state banks on rising employment in NC seems to be propaganda to me.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 AM

11,809 posts, read 9,405,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Note: It's all dependent on demand from consumers. Currently demand is down, so Charlotte will follow the national trends. The banking industry is not increasing employment but decreasing employment. Getting forecasts from out-of-state banks on rising employment in NC seems to be propaganda to me.
If this was about banking growth I would agree but thank goodness Charlotte is more than a banking town.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
If this was about banking growth I would agree but thank goodness Charlotte is more than a banking town.
Agreed but confused. Charlotte is a Banking industry. I know we are the entitlement Meca of the south so what industry are we other than Banking?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:43 AM

11,809 posts, read 9,405,848 times
Quote:
Agreed but confused. Charlotte is a Banking industry. I know we are the entitlement Meca of the south so what industry are we other than Banking?
Healthcare?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM

2,111 posts, read 3,594,661 times
Quote:
Other industries:
- a New Energy Industry hub:
Charlotte USA - Sector Facts - Energy Capital, Duke Energy, Fortune 500, Nuclear Energy | Charlotte Regional Partnership
- aerospace
Aerospace | Charlotte Regional Partnership
- health
Charlotte USA - Sector Facts - Science, Engineering, Technology, Medical, Life, Biotech, Bioinformatics | Charlotte Regional Partnership
- defense
Charlotte USA - Key Sector Facts - Global Aerospace, Defense, Department of Defense, Goodrich Corporation, BAE Systems, General Dynamics, Curtiss-Wright Controls, Michelin Aircraft Tire Corporation | Charlotte Regional Partnership

Old 01-03-2013, 10:18 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,963,906 times
Quote:
It's the 6th largest distribution hub in the USA after Chicago. There are also as many jobs in manufacturing in the area as there are in banking. Neither of these are as high profile as banking, and they don't build vanity skyscrapers that everyone sees, but multiple 10s of thousands are employed in both segments in this area.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Wonder how many of these guys including the banks, are going to handle Obamacare?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,963,906 times
Quote:
Wonder how many of these guys including the banks, are going to handle Obamacare?
Since most of the large corporations already provide health care to their employees, I don't see where this will be much of a change. Where Obamacare cost them money, like insuring kids to age 26, they simply passed this on to the employees. Some companies got special exemptions placed in the law for them.

It's the smaller companies without influence where this will hit hard. Word tonight that a small furniture company in Lincolnton closed it's doors tonight and 50 people will lose their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte