U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,658,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
The "machine" doesn't condition the person to do anything. They make a willing choice to go in and gamble their money away. Which is their right or at least it ought to be.
That I don't believe but to each their own. Two questions for you. Do you believe the same about slot machines? Do you have an opinion on why the State thinks these games are vice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,345,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
That I don't believe but to each their own. Two questions for you. Do you believe the same about slot machines? Do you have an opinion on why the State thinks these games are vice?
I'm gonna guess that like many laws, gambling laws were made due to religious pressure, or someone's interpretation of some bible.

Some people are susceptible to outside influences to the point it causes them problems. We all know people with addictions or bad habits they cannot get away from. Those people will often fall prey to any scheme played upon them in order to keep them gambling, drinking, cheating, whatever the case may be. I'm not one of those people. I've been to Vegas half a dozen times, and can walk away from whatever game I'm playing with no problem. Some of the guys I've gone with will play for a day straight, losing all the while. They get sucked in. I don't. It's just a difference in how we're wired. But laws should not be made to protect us from ourselves, IMHO.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I'm gonna guess that like many laws, gambling laws were made due to religious pressure, or someone's interpretation of some bible.

Some people are susceptible to outside influences to the point it causes them problems. We all know people with addictions or bad habits they cannot get away from. Those people will often fall prey to any scheme played upon them in order to keep them gambling, drinking, cheating, whatever the case may be. I'm not one of those people. I've been to Vegas half a dozen times, and can walk away from whatever game I'm playing with no problem. Some of the guys I've gone with will play for a day straight, losing all the while. They get sucked in. I don't. It's just a difference in how we're wired. But laws should not be made to protect us from ourselves, IMHO.
I'm not going to go looking for legislative history of the general assembly of 1791 where this all started. It could be due to religious pressure but gambling specifically isn't mentioned in the Christian Bible which coming out of the Church of England would have been the primary book. The Bible does say that the love of money is the root of all evil but that's stretching it.

What they did say in 1791 was:

"All public gaming-tables are destructive of the morality of the inhabitants of this State, and tend greatly to the encouragement of vice and dissipation"

That got rolled up into the current law. The NCGA is concerned about the encouragement of repetitive play.

The North Carolina League of Municipalities hinted in a newsletter that it was law enforcement that pushed for the loopholes to be closed starting with video poker machines in 2000.

They have a pretty good primer.

http://www.nclm.org/SiteCollectionDo...weepstakes.pdf

Last edited by GCharlotte; 01-10-2013 at 06:48 PM..

Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Some are still open and they might have found a way around whatever the reason they had to shut down.

I saw on the news last night an interview with one of the owners and he installed this software that lets the user see what prize they would get.
He also stated if they shut him down he ok with it and will turn it into a bagel shop. (he had a northern accent).

I still down understand how these places look shady as they either look like a video game spot or internet cafe.

I respect if you have something against gambling but what the difference between this guy software than putting your money in trying grab a prize with a claw. Or sticking quarters in trying to make some slide off.

Also far as gambling isnt that what happens at a fair when people line up and place there bet on a color in hopes that a mouse will land on your color after it spun around.

Next Thursday night I'm going to the Sweepstake cafe shown below and do my own CD interview and have partner play. (if its poker or slots he better at it.)

It was also stated the Sweepstake parlors employed 6,000 people across the state. This was a vacant building ever since Blockbuster left out most of it's stores.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM

3,804 posts, read 3,304,730 times
I was thinking the same thing. Will all these people be eligible for unemployment?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Will all these people be eligible for unemployment?
Sure. Why not?

Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I respect if you have something against gambling but what the difference between this guy software than putting your money in trying grab a prize with a claw. Or sticking quarters in trying to make some slide off.
Interview sounds cool. Shouldn't have actual slots but I'm wondering what if any of the games are poker based. I chastised a local TV station for calling them video poker parlors since that's been illegal longer than sweepstakes.

As far as differences go, some would say claw is a game of skill but that's pushing it. I know a kid that wins more than he loses and I don't know how he does it. He's 12 and I bet he's going to get banned. He got a toy one for Christmas.

But you asked what the difference is. The difference is the claw isn't programed to flash lights and make sounds in a way to trick your brain into playing again and again. That's the issue the state has whether you buy the theory or not.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,963,817 times
Quote:
The Bible does say money is the root of all evil but that's stretching it.
No, it doesn't. It says the love of money is the root of all evil. Or all kinds of evil. Or a bunch of evil. Or some bad stuff. It depends on the translation & version.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
No, it doesn't. It says the love of money is the root of all evil. Or all kinds of evil. Or a bunch of evil. Or some bad stuff. It depends on the translation & version.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Thanks. Corrected and hopefully didn't put a new error in.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,596,356 times
Quote:
Interview sounds cool. Shouldn't have actual slots but I'm wondering what if any of the games are poker based. I chastised a local TV station for calling them video poker parlors since that's been illegal longer than sweepstakes.

As far as differences go, some would say claw is a game of skill but that's pushing it. I know a kid that wins more than he loses and I don't know how he does it. He's 12 and I bet he's going to get banned. He got a toy one for Christmas.

But you asked what the difference is. The difference is the claw isn't programed to flash lights and make sounds in a way to trick your brain into playing again and again. That's the issue the state has whether you buy the theory or not.
I was guessing, I have no idea what you play but Im curious now and my partner has better odds at Harrahs and that claw machine.
Give him 10 bucks to play why I talk to the dude.
Im good at betting on mice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte