Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,431,771 times

Advertisements

So we're celebrating the state closing places of business that employed hundreds of people across the state, occupied (in many cases) undesirable locations that wouldn't be rented otherwise most likely and cost the cities/counties/landlords a lot of potential revenue in the form of leases/rent/taxes.

No doubt by closing these places those same people who were throwing away their money there will now have an epiphany and invest their money wisely. Orrrrrrrr, they'll find other ways to waste their money at illegal sweepstakes places that will inevitably pop up now which will have no regulation, no taxation and all the same issues without any of the benefits (jobs, taxes, leases/rent). Big time failure by the state of NC IMO on this particular issue.

I'm not a fan of places that prey on the vices of others but why single out sweepstakes and not bars or other places serving alcohol? Tobacco? Adult entertainment places? All are things that aren't needed to survive, waste money that could be used in MUCH better ways and hurt others around them as much (or a lot more in some cases) as a sweepstakes place would.

Thanks again to our government for "protecting" me from places of business. Huge eye roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM

748 posts, read 1,763,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
So we're celebrating the state closing places of business that employed hundreds of people across the state, occupied (in many cases) undesirable locations that wouldn't be rented otherwise
All the sweepstakes parlors I've seen are in desirable locations that will now be available to businesses that actually provide a service and that will definitely employ more people than the disgusting cesspools before them.

And the former clients can now have money to spend on food, medicine, and oxygen tank refills.

I'll admit to being a hypocrite on this one. I don't like the government protecting me from myself any more than you do (I despise being told I HAVE to wear a seatbelt), but I am glad the places are shut down. They are just plain gross.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,100,933 times
Quote:
So we're celebrating the state closing places of business that employed hundreds of people across the state, occupied (in many cases) undesirable locations that wouldn't be rented otherwise most likely and cost the cities/counties/landlords a lot of potential revenue in the form of leases/rent/taxes.

No doubt by closing these places those same people who were throwing away their money there will now have an epiphany and invest their money wisely. Orrrrrrrr, they'll find other ways to waste their money at illegal sweepstakes places that will inevitably pop up now which will have no regulation, no taxation and all the same issues without any of the benefits (jobs, taxes, leases/rent). Big time failure by the state of NC IMO on this particular issue.

I'm not a fan of places that prey on the vices of others but why single out sweepstakes and not bars or other places serving alcohol? Tobacco? Adult entertainment places? All are things that aren't needed to survive, waste money that could be used in MUCH better ways and hurt others around them as much (or a lot more in some cases) as a sweepstakes place would.

Thanks again to our government for "protecting" me from places of business. Huge eye roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
All the sweepstakes parlors I've seen are in desirable locations that will now be available to businesses that actually provide a service and that will definitely employ more people than the disgusting cesspools before them.

And the former clients can now have money to spend on food, medicine, and oxygen tank refills.

I'll admit to being a hypocrite on this one. I don't like the government protecting me from myself any more than you do (I despise being told I HAVE to wear a seatbelt), but I am glad the places are shut down. They are just plain gross.
There is a small shopping center near me that (still) has a "business center" in it, along with a cigarette shop. The cig shop has outlasted half a dozen other businesses, and is usually doing a good business when I'm around waiting on Chinese takeout or grocery shopping.

I don't like the seat belt or helmet laws either. But to me the cig shop is no less of a nuisance than the "business center". They are literally selling death. If they're allowed to stay in business, why force the sweepstakes parlor to become a "business center"?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

We probably define "desirable" a bit different in that case which is fine. The ones I've seen pop up were all in long vacant buildings so I was glad to see any kind of growth, even if not the most desirable. Of course smoke shops are way more offensive to me than these sweepstake places.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,720,925 times
Quote:

I get your point but it hit me that if you replace "sweepstakes" with "child labor" your first paragraph was probably used at the turn of the last century.

That doesn't mean closing them is good but I question the revenue argument.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:

I think I've seen two. One near Woodlawn station and the one on Brookshire. They might be desirable to robbers but I wouldn't be caught stopping at them or any of there surrounding business after the sun went down and I live close to the Brookshire.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I get your point but it hit me that if you replace "sweepstakes" with "child labor" your first paragraph was probably used at the turn of the last century.

That doesn't mean closing them is good but I question the revenue argument.
I have no idea how you draw comparisons to these establishments and child labor. How do you question they were a legit, legal operation that paid taxes and also leased space, hence, generating revenue?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how you draw comparisons to these establishments and child labor. How do you question they were a legit, legal operation that paid taxes and also leased space, hence, generating revenue?
I mean when child labor was legal.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:31 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,935,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Nobody's knocking over the state lottery or Harrah's in Cherokee. Big difference. At any rate sweepstakes shops set up shop to prey on the same people payday advance places go for; and nobody got too upset when the state banned them..
I've seen the state lottery tickets for sale in convenience stores that are quite scary. I disagree.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 AM

910 posts, read 1,313,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I've seen the state lottery tickets for sale in convenience stores that are quite scary. I disagree.
So what? Your discomfort doesn't mean a place is being robbed; those are two different things. Lotto tickets are sold in Harris Teeter as well. Does that make them "quite scary"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte