U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,943,759 times

Advertisements

^Actually the NC supreme court argued a fine point of the law. There is a sweepstake parlour in Davidson cnty that reopened yesterday with a slightly modified game which they say is in compliance with the law. i.e. the point the SC ruled against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 05:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,642,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
In other words, "....we think you look like a criminal... so.... you are a criminal..."
Yes but the other way around. If the owners of the parlor think you look like a criminal they won't let you in. They don't let everyone in.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
^Actually the NC supreme court argued a fine point of the law. There is a sweepstake parlour in Davidson cnty that reopened yesterday with a slightly modified game which they say is in compliance with the law. i.e. the point the SC ruled against.
Did you read the decision? I thought this was poetic and it does touch on morality etc. Seems to be addressing some as scandalous.

They have guts to reopen or are fools. I wonder if they think they can just keep "adjusting" and go to court and adjust and go to court and adjust and go to court without a higher penalty.

[N]o sooner is a lottery defined, and the definition applied
to a given state of facts, than ingenuity is at work to
evolve some scheme of evasion which is within the
mischief, but not quite within the letter of the definition.

But, in this way, it is not possible to escape the law's
condemnation, for it will strip the transaction of all its
thin and false apparel and consider it in its very
nakedness. It will look to the substance and not to the
form of it, in order to disclose its real elements and the
pernicious tendencies which the law is seeking to prevent.

The Court will inquire, not into the name, but into the
game, however skillfully disguised, in order to ascertain if
it is prohibited . . . . It is the one playing at the game who
is influenced by the hope enticingly held out, which is
often false or disappointing, that he will, perhaps and by
good luck, get something for nothing, or a great deal for a
very little outlay. This is the lure that draws the
credulous and unsuspecting into the deceptive scheme,
and it is what the law denounces as wrong and
demoralizing.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:11 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,613,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
wrong thread, oops.

But anyway, do the people that are against closing these places think they should just legalize gambling, or do you actually think the Sweepstakes places aren't actually gambling? I'd probably be fine with legalizing/regulating gambling, but you know there's something fishy when these places cover all their windows, have buzzers on the door, and then try to call themselves "Inturnet Cafe"...
They are 100% absolutely gambling. But so is the "education" lottery that is paraded in front of me on television constantly with some new game to entice THOSE SAME PEOPLE to throw their money away. It's like the government saying you can't murder someone.............unless you use this particular method we deem perfectly fine. We'll let you gamble, but only in this manner where we get the majority share of the profits from it.

And for the record, I'm all for legalizing a LOT of things I think we waste billions in tax payer dollars every single year trying to regulate or stop, pot being the first of those. You aren't going to win that battle, ever, so you can either legalize it and tax the crap out of it and turn it into a revenue stream OR you can continue spending all these resources on something like that where people are going to do it anyways and you'll still never completely stop it. A complete, vicious, never-ending cycle of failed drug "wars" on pot is what we've had so far. Not a lot different then prohibition in my eyes. And this is from a person who personally has never touched it and never will however I do understand a lot more people die from drunk driving than those that might get the munchies and head over to McDonalds after smoking one but somehow we're perfectly fine with making alcohol available anytime, anywhere just about.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I do understand a lot more people die from drunk driving than those that might get the munchies and head over to McDonalds after smoking one but somehow we're perfectly fine with making alcohol available anytime, anywhere just about.
Well there are some liberals that want to regulate you going to McDonald's too. Tax the pot and tax the Big Mac and that should fix everything.

As far as the rest that you wrote, I like this quote:

"State legislatures have weighed the social costs of gambling against the
economic benefits and chosen different paths according to each legislature‟s
conclusions."

Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,960,945 times
Quote:
They are 100% absolutely gambling. But so is the "education" lottery that is paraded in front of me on television constantly with some new game to entice THOSE SAME PEOPLE to throw their money away. It's like the government saying you can't murder someone.............unless you use this particular method we deem perfectly fine. We'll let you gamble, but only in this manner where we get the majority share of the profits from it.

And for the record, I'm all for legalizing a LOT of things I think we waste billions in tax payer dollars every single year trying to regulate or stop, pot being the first of those. You aren't going to win that battle, ever, so you can either legalize it and tax the crap out of it and turn it into a revenue stream OR you can continue spending all these resources on something like that where people are going to do it anyways and you'll still never completely stop it. A complete, vicious, never-ending cycle of failed drug "wars" on pot is what we've had so far. Not a lot different then prohibition in my eyes. And this is from a person who personally has never touched it and never will however I do understand a lot more people die from drunk driving than those that might get the munchies and head over to McDonalds after smoking one but somehow we're perfectly fine with making alcohol available anytime, anywhere just about.
Well said, Wolf!

Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
This does not sound like he's very sure of himself:

"The reason we opened is because we have made sure we are in compliance with the judge's ruling, which seems to satisfy all entities of the law," Double Play Owner Phil Giurintano said. "We are waiting on more guidance from state or local officials from the interpretation of that."

One sweepstakes parlor reopens | The-Dispatch.com

First offense misdemeanor, second is class H felony. Third is class G. (from memory might be off a bit)

Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM

795 posts, read 1,229,682 times
Quote:

The machines are advertised as games of chance but the winners are all predetermined according to the lawyers that represent the industry. Everyone keeps comparing it to gambling but it's not gambling if the house picks the winners and losers. Card dealers and the lottery aren't allowed to choose who wins or loses.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:32 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,708,361 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure people on here already predicted they would re-open after "changing their software." I was in Fayetteville earlier this week and saw a few still open. I think it's also up to the local law enforcement if they actually want to enforce it. I saw one article saying police in Roanoke Rapids were advised not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordomo View Post
The machines are advertised as games of chance but the winners are all predetermined according to the lawyers that represent the industry. Everyone keeps comparing it to gambling but it's not gambling if the house picks the winners and losers.
How is that different from a slot machine which is also predetermined?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM

795 posts, read 1,229,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
How is that different from a slot machine which is also predetermined?

Slot machine winners are not predetermined. That's why they're illegal. A game of chance is considered gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte