U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,449,859 times

Advertisements

I'd expected to see a discussion here. Did I miss it?

City landlords must register with police | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,479,928 times
It's one more reason I'm not buying any more rentals in Charlotte. I do not trust future city councils. At some stage they'll use that database start a licensing and inspection program. Just more hassle and red tape.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
It will be interesting to see if someone challenges this ordinance in court on Constitutional grounds.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 PM

3,185 posts, read 5,787,785 times
What we NEED is for all these people renting who arent from the area to be registered with the police. Right now we HAVE NO WAY to know who they are,where they came from, are they wanted for crimes, do they have half a dozen fake names etc....etv etc etc etc That is what we need

Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,658,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It will be interesting to see if someone challenges this ordinance in court on Constitutional grounds.
Can you be more specific?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM

Raleigh has a registration system. I would think the NC legislature passed statutes general enough in nature for other cities to do it.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,438,436 times
Nothing to really discuss right now. The discussion will come when they get the bright idea to make landlords pay yearly permit fees and we have to increase rental rates across the board.

And don't think it won't happen. Anyone remember that "temporary" water rate hike a few years ago during the drought? Anyone see the rates adjust back?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 AM

What galls me is that they are treating investors like parolees or sex offenders. "Register with the police".

I've already seen comments on other websites about small landlords deciding to sell last year, as the $350 fees on the "worst 4%" took hold. The landlord had nothing to do with the crime, they had investments in "bad parts of town" and there is thuggery and mayhem going on due to the neighbors.

More landlords will sell rather than register. Landlords go to some effort to maintain privacy - they don't need tenants showing up unannounced at their personal residence, don't need attorneys adding up their properties and deciding you'd make a good case for a lawsuit. Don't need contractors and telemarketers calling up, pitching products.

I have made sure over the years to never post my real name, phone number, address or e-mail anywhere on the Internet. Is this database going to be only used by the police? Or will it be open to the public like POLARIS? If it's public, you can expect more small investors to leave the market.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:07 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,956,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Can you be more specific?
The requirement that a party who has committed no crime has to register with law enforcement like a sex offender or felon on parole. It sounds very Orwellian to me. It's what the Soviets did. Now we seem to think it's OK in the USSA too.

Under the US Constitution it's the citizen who reserves all rights not expressly authorized to the government in the Constitution. The police have no right to involve themselves in a legal and for that matter private business relationship between a landlord and tenant. If the landlord does not reside in NC, (or for that matter even Charlotte) I can see also where it would come up against the commerce clause of the Constitution. If they treat the two separately, then I can see where it could be in trouble with the equal protection clause.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM

5,150 posts, read 6,658,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The requirement that a party who has committed no crime has to register with law enforcement like a sex offender or felon on parole. It sounds very Orwellian to me. It's what the Soviets did. Now we seem to think it's OK in the USSA too.

Under the US Constitution it's the citizen who reserves all rights not expressly authorized to the government in the Constitution. The police have no right to involve themselves in a legal and for that matter private business relationship between a landlord and tenant. If the landlord does not reside in NC, (or for that matter even Charlotte) I can see also where it would come up against the commerce clause of the Constitution. If they treat the two separately, then I can see where it could be in trouble with the equal protection clause.
Yeah but people should start by complaining to their local governments. People are too quiet. Govco needs more negative feedback and it should be done slightly off kilter so they pay attention.

On the other hand EVERYONE has to register their alarm systems. I wonder if a freedom of information request could get you a list of everyone with an alarm system. If you had that you'd be able to create a list of those that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or