Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 AM

35 posts, read 73,836 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for your replies. My husband's income is very good considering the economy, but he works about 70 hrs a week to get that income. We found out the benefits in Charlotte are not as good as the benefits we have here. He hasn't spoken to a recruiter yet on pay. I am guessing it would be much less. We do like the Boise area. Pay and benefits are better than here and crime is very low. (He may be bored there. lol) It's been hard for cops here in the valley. Some of the cities here have had layoffs and others aren't hiring for another 2-5 years and his city has not had any promotion movement for years. He's tested for and passed for other specialty units, but city council keeps cutting positions ,therefore he is still on patrol.

We're basically looking at areas that are hiring. We would never move anywhere that wouldn't be a financial benefit for us. We do have family in NC and VA also.

I appreciate everyone's feedback..It helps. It's nice to get such varied opinions. If you all thought the same way...wouldn't be much fun. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Well, Charlotte isn't going to be a good fit for us financially. We are checking out the Raleigh area. Looks like the pay and benefits for the police are better than in Charlotte. Hubby has emailed a recruiter and we are waiting to hear back. We know they are hiring in state officers, not sure if they are hiring out of state though. I miss having 4 seasons. Everything here is brown and more brown.

Oh, do you get scorpions in NC? I hate those things. One stung my dog and made here terribly sick. We have had them in the house..they are horrible creatures.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
If we had scorpions here, I'd be living elsewhere.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 PM

527 posts, read 919,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer67 View Post
Oh, do you get scorpions in NC? I hate those things. One stung my dog and made here terribly sick. We have had them in the house..they are horrible creatures.
The scorpions in bible belt states are very religious.. they only bite if you don't agree with their views!!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Come on out. Bring your guns and plenty of ammo. If you get tired of our wondeful neighborhoods, you can drive over to some of the worse in the country. Seriously, some heavy duty "south of the border" gangs around. Serously, just about everyone that relocates here loves it. On this message board you will find two lovely ladies (possibly) that will always be here giving negative/hateful comments. We understant that that is more reflective of a dating problem than a city problem though. Come on down. You will likely be very pleased. Idaho does have much larger mountains though.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
The scorpions in bible belt states are very religious.. they only bite if you don't agree with their views!!
Had to laugh at that.
Bindibadji, being in Phx, we have alot of gangs from Mexico here. We are 4th in the nation for break-ins, we are #1 for kidnappings, we have terrible air quality...
Another cop was shot in the face here yesterday. He is still alive, and God willing will stay that way. My husband has attended enough funerals for cops in the past few years..it's really disturbing.

We do have beautiful mountains. I live in a town north of PHX that does get snow caps once or twice in a winter...not today though, it was a beautiful 62 degrees. Other than winter weather, kinda tired of it here. Need some season change. lol

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM

52 posts, read 62,559 times
Stay AWAY from CMPD for the next... oh.... 5 years...

That should be long enough for this worthless Chief and all his yes men he created to leave or retire.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM

162 posts, read 240,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
That was uncalled for, I guess since it is ok to berate religion your comment won't be taken down, only comments that are viewed as politically incorrect are.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM

99 posts, read 293,291 times
I am a retired NYPD Lt.We moved here a few months ago along with the 300 or so retired NYPD cops.Is there crime in Charlotte,of course! It's a big city most big cities have a higher crime rate.It seems to be in a couple of pockets though,obviously that is where you do not move! You don't have to move to the middle of the city,Union County is very nice which is where we live,You have Mooresville,Huntersville and plenty of other places that are well within the commute and very nice places.You need to come down here for yourself and look around and make the decision of where you want to live.Alot of guys I worked with came down with their pension and took on other law enforcement jobs,other just resigned and came down.They who have applied have all been picked up by different towns etc.You need to research where you would like to work and the cost of living compared to where you are.Not to quarterback crime strategies of this administration but they need to bring in some NYPD,not cops their strategies, into Charlotte and implement compstat .The division commanders need to be held strictly responsible for their area and implement zero tolerance for everything !!! Get the DAs office involved and start going federal with certain crimes! Just my 2 cents !

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM

52 posts, read 62,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROFGH View Post
I am a retired NYPD Lt.We moved here a few months ago along with the 300 or so retired NYPD cops.Is there crime in Charlotte,of course! It's a big city most big cities have a higher crime rate.It seems to be in a couple of pockets though,obviously that is where you do not move! You don't have to move to the middle of the city,Union County is very nice which is where we live,You have Mooresville,Huntersville and plenty of other places that are well within the commute and very nice places.You need to come down here for yourself and look around and make the decision of where you want to live.Alot of guys I worked with came down with their pension and took on other law enforcement jobs,other just resigned and came down.They who have applied have all been picked up by different towns etc.You need to research where you would like to work and the cost of living compared to where you are.Not to quarterback crime strategies of this administration but they need to bring in some NYPD,not cops their strategies, into Charlotte and implement compstat .The division commanders need to be held strictly responsible for their area and implement zero tolerance for everything !!! Get the DAs office involved and start going federal with certain crimes! Just my 2 cents !
They did bring in fakestat.

And its working just like it did in New York, as an incentive to lie about and underreport crimes so as to appear, statistically, to have reduced crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte