U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times

Advertisements

Well, I have lived in Charlotte since 1989. Moved here in search of a better job; found it and also was able to raise my family as a single mom. It wasn't easy, it was very difficult, but, I was able to do so.

I have lived in several places in Charlotte, finally landing in University City. Regrets for moving here? No, because the reason that I moved was well fulfilled and I do have a decent job with one of the big banks.

However, I will agree with another poster who says that Charlotte is boring. Now that I am older, a single empty nester and have attended all of the festivals & such numerous times ... there is not much to do. Now, I stay very busy, I am on the board of directors to 2 non profits, am an office administrator at my church as well as work a full time job. However, the "fun" things to do are lacking. I am not the outdoorsy type, no hiking or kayaking for me and having to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest decent-sized body of water is annoying.

Someone said that if you are a "positive person" things like this won't annoy you. In my opinion, being artificially "positive" all the time is annoying it and of itself. I prefer to think of myself as a realist. Situations are what they are. Not necessarily good, not necessarily bad. They are what they are. If you cannot change them, you accept them. That doesn't mean walking about with a grin and saying that it is all good. Acceptance does not equal happiness.

So, do I regret moving to Charlotte? No. Do I think that Charlotte is the Paradise that many seem to think that it is? No. Would I make a change if all things were put into place to enable it? Probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:33 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,470,053 times
Well I don't "regret" moving back to Charlotte. (Was here briefly as a child, it seemed like a step up from living in the married university housing, where my parents had been living.) I found a steady job, kept it longer than any other employment I've had, and built up some financial security with a handful of rentals.

I've lived here long enough to watch several local political dramas play out, watch LYNX be built and various inner city sites be redeveloped.

But I've also always known it isn't where I want to spend the rent of my life. It has served a purpose... to make retirement or semi-retirement in another place more practical after putting a decade of career time in.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Well I don't "regret" moving back to Charlotte. (Was here briefly as a child, it seemed like a step up from living in the married university housing, where my parents had been living.) I found a steady job, kept it longer than any other employment I've had, and built up some financial security with a handful of rentals.

I've lived here long enough to watch several local political dramas play out, watch LYNX be built and various inner city sites be redeveloped.

But I've also always known it isn't where I want to spend the rent of my life. It has served a purpose... to make retirement or semi-retirement in another place more practical after putting a decade of career time in.
I agree.. I probably won't retire here but I appreciate the COL and it has enough to keep me engaged. I look forward to investigate time and energy into making Charlotte work for me.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM

39 posts, read 54,362 times
I recently moved here and LOVE it !!! No regrets. I find that there is actually allot to do here. Just my opinion. I do wish; however, that people's mind sets here were a little more progressive. Change is good so move ahead

Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,710,137 times
I moved to the area in 2008. I looked all over the U.S. and this was the best place I visited for various reasons. It is growing and the growth is exciting with new venues all over town. For 2 million people, there is a lots to do. There is an excellent performing arts scene, NCMF, excellent restaurants, wonderful neighborhoods, friendliness, punctual people that show up when they are supposed to, lots of cultural activities available, an excellent international airport, plenty of sports and anything else one can offer. For anyone to move here and cry that it's not like their hometown is really an idiot. Why would one want to move to a place that is like their hometown? Additionally, if anyone says it is boring here, it is likely for personal reasons. Having a companion is always helpful in any place in life. If one can't connect with a companion it is likely not the fault of the city. If you find Charlotte boring, ask someone what you can do to keep busy.

I don't think that Charlotte is outstanding, but it is certainly a great mediocre city.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM

634 posts, read 1,206,362 times
Unfortunately I did regret my decision to move to Charlotte, which is why after a year I moved back to Atlanta.

My biggest complaint (back in 2010) was that the jobs didn't pay comparable to other cities, that is if you could find a job. Also very boring and no character. People will look at you and instantly judge you. When I go out in Atlanta, always met new acquaintances, and enjoy myself...there if u weren't part of their group you where looked down upon. I did like Uptowns appearance even though it is small, always clean and vibrant. South End is a joke of a mall as is concord mills.

Now back in Atlanta I have been able to prosper more and am able to enjoy my life while enjoying the city I live .in!! Always something new and exciting going on....charlotte gets boring very quickly.

BTW has I485 been completed yet? Sad just sad.:.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 PM

31 posts, read 81,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Unfortunately I did regret my decision to move to Charlotte, which is why after a year I moved back to Atlanta.

My biggest complaint (back in 2010) was that the jobs didn't pay comparable to other cities, that is if you could find a job. Also very boring and no character. People will look at you and instantly judge you. When I go out in Atlanta, always met new acquaintances, and enjoy myself...there if u weren't part of their group you where looked down upon. I did like Uptowns appearance even though it is small, always clean and vibrant. South End is a joke of a mall as is concord mills.

Now back in Atlanta I have been able to prosper more and am able to enjoy my life while enjoying the city I live .in!! Always something new and exciting going on....charlotte gets boring very quickly.

BTW has I485 been completed yet? Sad just sad.:.
What is there to do in Atlanta that's not in Charlotte? I'm curious because I've been to Atlanta a lot and am considering a move to Charlotte (never been, job interview this coming weekend).

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,470,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vcize View Post
What is there to do in Atlanta that's not in Charlotte? I'm curious because I've been to Atlanta a lot and am considering a move to Charlotte (never been, job interview this coming weekend).
We hve a giant locked thread about this.

In YOUR honest opinion: Do you think Charlotte and Atlanta are similar??

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times
no regrets for me at all, although this isn't where I want to be long term. moved here 5 years ago from NJ, got a lot accomplished, enjoy my time here. might be 5 years from now, maybe 10, but I'll eventually try to find a place more suitable to me. never a bad word to say about CLT tho.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:45 PM

13 posts, read 14,141 times
Not at all. Grew up in Connecticut, lived in Mississippi, and Charlotte since 07. Best by far, and this city, region has a bright future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or