Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times

Advertisements

Seems like many threads on here that actually *discuss* Charlotte (not merely ask for advice) devolve into a locked finale.

I'm not interested in proving other people are wrong. We all have our own impressions based on what part of the region we live in.

Most people I think, who make an effort to look for something around here, can find it. Maybe not in abundance, but this is a metro of a million or more. Nobody has truly unique tastes or interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
After researching, the only thing that's a deal breaker for me is the heat and humidity. I just don't think I could adjust to it....I don't really like "hot" weather for any length of time. But from the posts, it doesn't seem like the heat is really a factor in regretting a move there (although I do hear that alot in the Raleigh forum).

Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
No vinyl, cheap white bread vanilla tract subdivisions in Cornelius whatever it means. Are you sure you are thinking about Lake Norman. Sticks? LOL!!
Indeed. Huntersville, Cornelius, & Davidson have some of the most progressive zoning in the region. The parts that people think badly of, i.e. the shopping at Sam Furr Rd. was zoned and approved by Mecklenburg county before these towns got EJT zoning from the state. These towns zonings and restrictions were put in place specifically to keep it from looking like the sprawl found, unfortunately along the Eastern Mecklenburg county line and in Charlotte around I-485. I think they have managed to do a pretty decent job over the last 15 years its been in effect.

If people want to feel connected, I recommend they move to one of these communities or inside Hwy 4 of Charlotte. It's completely different than living in a exhurb.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You can essentially post a "Any regret about moving to ____" in any of these forums and get the typical responses. Boy, if you had nickel for the semi-annual dislike or hate moving here threads. What is amazing, you'll get the same folks chiming in to substiante their mesirable existence and pitiful life. Life is too short to dwell on what's wrong a place. It rains too much in the Pacific Northwest, it's too hot in Florida, too much snow in Buffalo, etc etc.

No matter where you are, the average life expectancy is 70+ years, so make the best of it and plans to move on to new place more suitable for career and lifestyle if a certain place isn't working. And stop bashing people because they enjoy this "cliquish", "character-less", "soul-less", "chain-ridden" hell hole. If I had not lived in many other cities/states around the country, I might believe some of those great tales of fiction about the hype somewhere else.

Some people will regret moving certain places because they simply miss home, didn't like the weather, too much or too little traffic, diversity, nightlife etc...but again, fill in the _____ city and you get the same responses on any forum.

I for one, believe intelligent people make rational decisions after doing plenty of homework. For the most part, I don't think a majority of people are getting conned into believing Charlotte has Manhattan culture/nightlife, Chicago magnificent-mile shopping, Las Vegas entertainment, DC history, etc. with a mid-size southern sunbelt city cost of living index.
Nice posting. It is unlikely that you will find an cultured, educated person in the "poor me, I hate this place" sub-group. The more intelligent would have investigated the city before coming and esured it had what they desired. Besides, the more refined person can always find a peer group with common interest and a desire to become involved in the arts or volunteer somewhere meaningful. I don't contend that Charlotte is the best city in the country, but it is closer to having the things that I enjoy in life than other cities. Of course, I would really enjoy a Gulf coast type beach where Lake Norman is located and a couple of London standard museums, but who wouldn't?

Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. Huntersville, Cornelius, & Davidson have some of the most progressive zoning in the region. The parts that people think badly of, i.e. the shopping at Sam Furr Rd. was zoned and approved by Mecklenburg county before these towns got EJT zoning from the state. These towns zonings and restrictions were put in place specifically to keep it from looking like the sprawl found, unfortunately along the Eastern Mecklenburg county line and in Charlotte around I-485. I think they have managed to do a pretty decent job over the last 15 years its been in effect.

If people want to feel connected, I recommend they move to one of these communities or inside Hwy 4 of Charlotte. It's completely different than living in a exhurb.
rea

And too, driving 20-25 minutes from the Lake area into the center of Charlotte doesn't really qualify the area as "the sticks" as the earlier poster eluded.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 14,288 times
Despite this being a nice place compared the rest of the country, I do regret being relocated here from California. I didnt really have an option under the circumstances. I had my beutiful historic home there, walking distance to work, and just a 20 min drive to the most spectatcular coastline in the mainland US (Big Sur).. Strange thing is for a similiar home, the Charlotte market is comparably priced and there is basically no draw at all except for Jobs and McMansion neighborhoods...thats a good thing if your entire life is spent in an office or raising a family which has basically happened since I moved here because no one has anything better to do... I used to go spear fishing and surfing during my lunch breaks, or climb 2000ft mountain peaks and look out over the ocean, that will never occur here, in fact its so miserably boring I just bring lunch up to my office and sit there (what a waste of life). I miss watching the 60ft storm swells at Pebble Beach, enjoying the meditaranean climate, and the wild San Fransico night life. It is no different anywhere else on the east coast though..California is the place to be, and always will be... you just feel it in the air like when your walking through a coastal forest of 2000 year old wind twisted Monterey Cypress trees and the earth talks to you. In Charlotte, you go to work, and then figure which mall you can spend your money at over the weekend. Luckily I just rented my home so I can always go back to Monterey when the time is right. It is a serious downgrade, and lets just face it.. the streets are not filled with europeans coming to the US to check out Charlotte.. and its just for those reasons that I have mentioned, its a place to count beans all day and dream of retirement, or go rot away on some farm.

For the record, I live right beside South Park Mall.. plenty of activity there. I find that it is a middle class snobotorium. You get less attitude from European multi-millionaires and movie stars watch shopping on Ocean Avenue in Carmel then from this uptight crowd around here.

I kind of pity those that have never really experienced living in a truely great place.. they become preoccupied with such trivial matters as traffic grids, parking availability, and school systems for comparing places? I measure places by how inspiring they are.

Last edited by spearo; 01-08-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
^^^^yikes!!!! Man, do I feel your pain. Any chance for parole or commuted sentence?

Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
No regret. I'm from Columbia, SC. I love my hometown, but was there almost my entire life...Hence, Charlotte. The next largest city away from it, but I can go home ANY time I want and be there in under 90 minutes which is a plus....Plus, I love it here. Made plenty of friends and have some family here...Couldn't have made a better choice.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:26 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You can essentially post a "Any regret about moving to ____" in any of these forums and get the typical responses. Boy, if you had nickel for the semi-annual dislike or hate moving here threads. What is amazing, you'll get the same folks chiming in to substiante their mesirable existence and pitiful life. Life is too short to dwell on what's wrong a place. It rains too much in the Pacific Northwest, it's too hot in Florida, too much snow in Buffalo, etc etc.

No matter where you are, the average life expectancy is 70+ years, so make the best of it and plans to move on to new place more suitable for career and lifestyle if a certain place isn't working. And stop bashing people because they enjoy this "cliquish", "character-less", "soul-less", "chain-ridden" hell hole. If I had not lived in many other cities/states around the country, I might believe some of those great tales of fiction about the hype somewhere else.

Some people will regret moving certain places because they simply miss home, didn't like the weather, too much or too little traffic, diversity, nightlife etc...but again, fill in the _____ city and you get the same responses on any forum.

I for one, believe intelligent people make rational decisions after doing plenty of homework. For the most part, I don't think a majority of people are getting conned into believing Charlotte has Manhattan culture/nightlife, Chicago magnificent-mile shopping, Las Vegas entertainment, DC history, etc. with a mid-size southern sunbelt city cost of living index.

Yes, yes, yes.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 PM

176 posts, read 290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearo View Post
Despite this being a nice place compared the rest of the country, I do regret being relocated here from California. I didnt really have an option under the circumstances. I had my beutiful historic home there, walking distance to work, and just a 20 min drive to the most spectatcular coastline in the mainland US (Big Sur).. Strange thing is for a similiar home, the Charlotte market is comparably priced and there is basically no draw at all except for Jobs and McMansion neighborhoods...thats a good thing if your entire life is spent in an office or raising a family which has basically happened since I moved here because no one has anything better to do... I used to go spear fishing and surfing during my lunch breaks, or climb 2000ft mountain peaks and look out over the ocean, that will never occur here, in fact its so miserably boring I just bring lunch up to my office and sit there (what a waste of life). I miss watching the 60ft storm swells at Pebble Beach, enjoying the meditaranean climate, and the wild San Fransico night life. It is no different anywhere else on the east coast though..California is the place to be, and always will be... you just feel it in the air like when your walking through a coastal forest of 2000 year old wind twisted Monterey Cypress trees and the earth talks to you. In Charlotte, you go to work, and then figure which mall you can spend your money at over the weekend. Luckily I just rented my home so I can always go back to Monterey when the time is right. It is a serious downgrade, and lets just face it.. the streets are not filled with europeans coming to the US to check out Charlotte.. and its just for those reasons that I have mentioned, its a place to count beans all day and dream of retirement, or go rot away on some farm.

For the record, I live right beside South Park Mall.. plenty of activity there. I find that it is a middle class snobotorium. You get less attitude from European multi-millionaires and movie stars watch shopping on Ocean Avenue in Carmel then from this uptight crowd around here.

I kind of pity those that have never really experienced living in a truely great place.. they become preoccupied with such trivial matters as traffic grids, parking availability, and school systems for comparing places? I measure places by how inspiring they are.

I, too, am from Monterey County and now live in Southpark area. Small world. California is as inspiring as you describe - but not perfect. For instance, when you say "i really didn't have a choice under the circumstances" that implies local job prospects were limited.

The Sierras are awe inspiring - I have many epic backpacking trips under my belt - but the Blue Ridge and Smokies are amazing in their own right. And as beautiful as Monterey Bay is, I don't ever remember swimming in it during the middle of October like I did at Isle of Palms a few months ago! Now that was a great day

I must agree with your home pricing experience, and your LOL "snobotorium" assessment I have found more than a few folks to be extremely materialistic and uptight (lay off the horns people).

In summary, though, I have very much enjoyed my time in Charlotte. I have had a ton of good experiences, and I have a mile long list of things I can't wait to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte