Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM

494 posts, read 849,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Excellent point! Makes no sense to leave your car outside.
Unless you have junk that needs to be kept in the garage because of lack of storage options. I love how posters on here know so well what people need to keep in their garages. If you think your neighbors will complain if you leave your car in the driveway, imagine what they will say if you leave out lawn equipment, bicycles, toys, outdoor furniture, etc.
I understand HOA's are vigilant about maintaining property values, but unless the cars are on the lawn or up on blocks, this is a non issue, even in the nicest neighborhoods. When I drove through Myers Park and Dilworth, there were cars in driveways and on the roads, and no one has said those are not nice looking neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
When I drove through Myers Park and Dilworth, there were cars in driveways and on the roads, and no one has said those are not nice looking neighborhoods.
To be fair, Dilworth, a streetcar suburb, was built before the automobile was very common and there really are not many garages and places to park cars on the properties. Historic restrictions really makes it difficult to make changes for them.

Myers Park is similar due to its age and prior to the teardown activity during the 2000s, there were not many garages there either.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:45 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
This, coming from someone who is scared to have a conversation with his neighbor? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

No one is forced to buy a home with a small garage. Obviously enough people don't care about larger garages, or builders wouldn't make them small.
huh?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 AM

79 posts, read 231,779 times
As a garage designer and consultant, I've done quite a few garage makeovers and expansions over the years. Architects and builders treat the garage as an afterthought, typically undersized (especially for todays cars and SUV's).

I have a few general guidelines on my website at Building a Garage Workshop (p1) ....here are the recommendations on size:
SIZE - The size of your garage(s) and workshop will typically be determined by your available "buildable" property, budget and local ordinances. Here are some basic recommendations I make to my clients for multi-bay garages.....

Workshop (Automotive) : 18-20' wide by 24-30' deep. Ceiling height of 10-14' assuming installation of a service lift.

Workshop (Woodworking): 18-20' wide by 24-30' deep. Ceiling height of 9-10' for comfortable handing of 8' sheet good.

Parking Garage - allow 13-15' width per vehicle. Today's sports cars, trucks, SUV's and Crossovers are wider (especially with side mirrors extended) than vehicles 10 years ago. Depth should be 20-24' deep. Height of 8-10' .
Steve D

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
sometimes I leave my garage door open at night and I sit in the back with a loaded shotgun.....I want to do a good deed and teach a thief a lesson.....

Wish I did that one night during the summer. I had just gotten home from dinner out with my wife. Left the garage open because I usually walk the babysitter out through the garage. She lives next door. It was after 1am and we literally were home for about 3-5 minutes. I walk out and there are 3 teenagers looking in my garage. I immediately chased after them. Why? I don't know. I didn't think. Anyway, they ran away into a nearby woods. I tried to get them to come out by calling them names that are synonyms for "wimp" and "wuss" but to no avail. I went back to my house to see that their getaway driver was stuck. He had no idea we lived on a street with one way entrance in and out. Needless to say, I scared the crap out of the kid. I know where he lives and where he goes to school. Called the cops and they supposedly spoke to his parents about two weeks later. I dropped it after that. The kid and his friends know if they are ever on my street, that they will get arrested.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:33 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
Both of our cars are in the garage, but don't get me started on the ridiculous lack of storage in houses in general (mine specifically). We've had to upgrade our shed just to accommodate all of our stuff (and yes we purge every season! Stuff for us includes holiday decorations, tools, bikes, etc, nothing really crazy!). I miss our basement

What I find funny is people that turn their garage into another living space by finishing it, putting TVs, electronics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte