U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,499,706 times
[quote=stmaarten;2694489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
A true bakery is NOT in a grocery store. It is a stand alone business that hopefully sells VERY good cakes, cookies, pies, sweets...etc!

Harris Teeter & Bi-Lo is NOT a bakery!

QUOTE]

Very True! Why is it that Harris Teeter is capable of baking crusty, delicious bread, but no one else has thought of opening a bakery that sells just breads, rolls and pasteries?
I would go out of my way for a decent bakery, that's NOT a coffee shop or restaurant (i.e. Panera).
Me too. I drive about 10-15 minutes to a bakery in Park Rd Shopping Center (and NO I am not affiliated with Suarez Bakery). Just find them to be very good.

Have been going there since it was "The Federal Bake Shop".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 08:36 PM

3,183 posts, read 5,707,938 times
Not long ago, there was a profile done on a TV show of a woman who had recently opened a french bakery uptown. Did that business not survive?

Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,569,426 times
Nova is still on Central Avenue. I guess they have two locations now. They are, IMHO, the best in Charlotte.

A great place for cakes - they are beautiful and soooo tasty - is:

Marguerite's French Bakery
2424 N Davidson St
Charlotte, NC 28205
(704) 675-5756

They have other desserts too. This might be the place that was mentioned on the TV program. The owner has spent a lot of time in France. It's a very friendly place.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:36 AM

371 posts, read 654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I think I have seen them on Harris Blvd. Is it kinda between Reames Rd & Old Statesvile Rd area?

Would LOVE to find another good bakery. Suarez is very good!

You're thinking of the right place. It's on Hankins Road which runs parallel to Harris. You can get to it from Harris or Old Statesville.

The only thing I've had there that I didn't like, was a chocolate cupcake. It was just too dry.

I've had their almond. lemon, and marble cakes and they were all terrific! The marble is amazing!!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 AM

3,183 posts, read 5,707,938 times
There's an Italian bakery and cafe on Old Statesville Rd. in Cornelius right before the transition into Davidson. Haven't yet tried it, though.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 11,752 times
I am going to have to check those places out. I love the good old fashioned bakeries. Where are the cannolies? Those are good!

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 AM

474 posts, read 1,165,276 times
Old World Bakery is located in Magnolia Plaza in Cornelius, where Cozzolino's used to be located. The owner is from Utica, NY and makes everything from scratch. I went for the first time this weekend. Excellent Italian cookies, cheesecake and bread. For those of you from Central NY or the Utica area, he also carries tomato pie and pusties. The pusties were great - just like from the Florentine. I ordered tomato pie and will be picking it up later today.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:15 PM

371 posts, read 654,477 times
Has anyone been to the Polka Dot Bake Shop at Park and Woodlawn? They specialize in cupcakes.

It looks really good, we're thinking about hitting it up at lunch one day.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte