U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 3,245,050 times

Advertisements

I hate 277 getting on to 77 south bound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM

17 posts, read 16,759 times
277 is hated because it took away historic neighborhoods? How's demolishing it going to do anything about it?

Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 AM

3,712 posts, read 3,245,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston-born View Post
277 is hated because it took away historic neighborhoods? How's demolishing it going to do anything about it?

Because all the neighborhoods are built up since then exponentially. Huntersville was cow pastures and 1 stop light practically.

The case for wanting to demolish (a dream by every urban planner and city leader) 277 is for neighborhood connectivity to virtually incorporate the surrounding 'hoods as "uptown" and make the transition from say 3rd ward to Southend as seamless as possible. Thus it would make our city seem a lot bigger and much more walkable.

That and it would make the value of the parcels go down allowing more midrise buildings and making it cheaper to live in uptown since now there is not as limited a space as there is with 277. That would probably help foster retail (cheaper rents) and it would encourage people to shop and play within the urban neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 AM

6,269 posts, read 9,979,602 times
I think the city/county should put light rail down Independence Blvd's median when the road project reaches Matthews. Maybe that's the plan already and I didn't know it...

Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,934,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think the city/county should put light rail down Independence Blvd's median when the road project reaches Matthews. Maybe that's the plan already and I didn't know it...
The only project headed that way (potentially) is the proposed Lynx Silver Line. At one point the proposal was to run a light rail train down the current bus lanes on Independence. Stations would be built over the road with access from either side. Once the train reached the area around the old Coliseum, it would veer off Independence and move over to the rail ROW that parallels Monroe Rd. From there it would travel to I-485. The other proposal was to do something similar but using Bus Rapid Transit.

Originally the train would have crossed I-485 and headed into Union county. However Union county has no interest in funding a portion of this line, so this part won't be built.

At the moment both proposals are on hold. Of course, the NCDOT has decided to remove the bus lanes on Independence, so the entire thing would have to be redesigned anyway.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:50 AM

520 posts, read 769,153 times
Othe than closed businesses and car dealers what else is on ind blvd?

How exactly this is going to rejuvinate the ind blvd area?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,046,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
At the moment both proposals are on hold. Of course, the NCDOT has decided to remove the bus lanes on Independence, so the entire thing would have to be redesigned anyway.
Where did you hear they are planning on removing the bus lanes? FTFA:

By the time it's completed, Independence will be three lanes in each direction, and the median will become a two lane expressway for buses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post

Who said anything about rejuvenating the area? This is supposed to be about making an easier commute into the city. I'm not convinced, though. The 3 or so miles of 6 lanes past Sharon Amity is practically bumper to bumper up to 277. I don't see how adding more expressway is going to fix that.

Part of the problem is people not merging properly from Albermarle. Another part of the problem is people who wait until the very last minute to jump over to the left to get on 277. A third part of the problem is during certain times of the year, the sun is directly in your rear view mirror coming up the hill near Charlottetowne. You get partially blinded which causes you to slow down.

The people I see mostly benefiting from this are those crossing Independence from Idlewild and Sharon Amity.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,846,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post

It's not going to rejuvenate the area. It's going to make the commute between East Charlotte/Union County and Uptown a lot easier. The ultimate goal is for 74 to be a freeway all the way out to 485 and continue as a freeway through Union County on the Monroe Connector Bypass.

As of right now Eastern Charlotte and the eastern suburbs are the only part of the metro not served by an interstate. This is why Independence is loaded with traffic during rush hour every day.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM

601 posts, read 788,106 times
Just a heads up, but it looks like construction is about to begin, or it already has. It looks like some utility work where the old DMV use to be is being worked on. They've also place numerous construction equipment on some of the demolished lots, as well as a trailer on site of the old Charlotte Auto Collection site. Although some sites are saying 2017 for the end date, the project manager of the MUMPO is saying it could possibly take less than three years to complete.

What I'm interested is how traffic is going to be in this area for the next three years. No doubt one or even two lanes might be shut down during the duration of this project. I could also see Sharon Amity and Idlewild being blocked off while they work on the new overpasses...

Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,418,168 times
The DOT settled to purchase part of Independence Shopping Center to build an over pass to take Conference Drive over Independence.

The DOT reached a right-of-way settlement to buy part of the shopping center for $22 million. It's the biggest right-of-way settlement in the department's history.

DOt going to to create Independence a corridor to move quickly through the area, and if people want something more local, they can use side streets as an option instead.

NCDOT said more than half of the project's $172 million budget is for right-of-way purchases.
It expects the widening project to be complete by fall of 2016.

NCDOT prepares for expansion on Independence Blvd - News14.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte