Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 AM

601 posts, read 963,520 times

Advertisements

After many delays, the NCDOT will commence construction on Independence Blvd this Spring. This project will span between the intersection of Albemarle Road, all the way slightly pass Conference Drive. The project is slighted to end by 2017:

It's About Time For Independence Blvd To Widen | Charlotte News | Local News

Also, I got a chance to speak to the project manager of the MUMPO (Mecklenburg-Union Metropolitan Planning Organization) and he told me that funding for the next section of Independence can possibly happen by 2018, with construction starting sometime soon after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
All I can say is WOW. This has got to be one of the few cities I know that can build 19 miles of light rail end-to-end faster than it can build a 10 mile freeway. My goodness, they've been working on Independence Blvd ever since I was riding a tricycle. OK, it hasn't been THAT long, but this thing has been going on for far too long. Construction delays from now until 2017 though? Ouch!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-09-2013 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
All I can say is WOW. This has got to be one of the few cities I know that can build 19 miles of light rail end-to-end faster than it can build a 10 mile freeway. My goodness, they've been working on Independence Blvd ever since I was riding a tricycle. OK, it hasn't been THAT long, but this thing has been going on for far too long. Construction delays from now until 2017 though? Ouch!!!
74=state
Light rail=city

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
74=state/feds
Light rail=county/state/feds
Fixed it for you.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:28 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Yeah. People who have been here a long time will remember the perpetual orange traffic barrels that existed where Independence went left and the Brookshire Freeway went right. I think they were there through much of the late 70s. This was before I-277 was built.

Then there was the terrorizing drive between Beaumont (doesn't cross it anymore) and Briarcreek where the lanes were only 9 ft wide instead of the 12 ft standard. They had repainted them to turn a 4 lane road into 6 lanes. There was no shoulder, high speed, and tons of traffic including 18 wheelers. Oh and private driveways pulled out onto this section too. It wasn't a freeway then. it would make out of towers wet their pants.

They have been working on it as long as I can remember it.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Fixed it for you.
Wrong. There may be fed dollars, but the projects are managed, and according to the budgets of the entities I listed. I assure you.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Wrong. There may be fed dollars, but the projects are managed, and according to the budgets of the entities I listed. I assure you.
You did get part of it wrong as it is not just the city.

Funding for Lynx/CATS via the transit tax comes from the county, not the city. The transit tax is a Mecklenburg county tax and is under the control of the MTC which consists of the 7 mayors in Meck, the county manager, and a representative of the NCDOT. All of these parties have a vote. This gives representation to the municipal governments outside of Charlotte that are paying the transit tax as well. The MTC sets the priorities of what gets built when. The MTC uses CATS as their construction agent and transit operator. The county turns over the collected transit tax to the city of Charlotte for it's projects and operations.

CATS was formed as a department under the city of Charlotte and reports to the county manager and is ultimately controlled by the Charlotte city council and mayor. This gives Charlotte an additional right to vote on projects approved by the MTC. The CATS department was created when the transit tax was approved and it replaced the old CTA and took over all it's operations. It's handled this way because CATS as a large transit operator, is also eligible for significant transit funding outside the transit tax. They receive a considerable amount from the feds and state to run the buses.

It should also be noted the county council has the power from the state to end the transit tax and suspend further implementation of the 2030 plan.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:12 AM

238 posts, read 567,608 times
They should widen 485 first

Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
They have been working on it as long as I can remember it.
I attended what used to be a Catholic School located here. That dead end was where I would cross Independence to get to school. There was a KFC on that corner. I think Krispy Kreme was in the area as well. I most certainly remember the 3 second green light that I had to use to get across that street. We had a crossing guard, but it still didn't help. Every day there was at least one 18-wheeler driver that locked his brakes in an attempt to stop at that light. It was probably the worst school crossing in the entire city. 3 seconds was simply not enough time for kids, turning vehicles, and straight crossing vehicles to get out of the way of very impatient drivers on Independence.

I don't have the link, but I read some where that US 74 could have been I-40 if it weren't for local leaders in Charlotte blocking it back in the 1950s (or something similar to that effect). I think there was also a plan to have I-40 split into a nothern leg that goes the current route and a southern leg that goes the route of US 74. The two would split at Asheville then rejoin/end in Wilmington. It would seem as though the latter is what NC is trying to do with US 74. At the rate they're moving, my kids will be 74 by the time this is all done.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
You did get part of it wrong as it is not just the city.

Funding for Lynx/CATS via the transit tax comes from the county, not the city. The transit tax is a Mecklenburg county tax and is under the control of the MTC which consists of the 7 mayors in Meck, the county manager, and a representative of the NCDOT. All of these parties have a vote. This gives representation to the municipal governments outside of Charlotte that are paying the transit tax as well. The MTC sets the priorities of what gets built when. The MTC uses CATS as their construction agent and transit operator. The county turns over the collected transit tax to the city of Charlotte for it's projects and operations.

CATS was formed as a department under the city of Charlotte and reports to the county manager and is ultimately controlled by the Charlotte city council and mayor. This gives Charlotte an additional right to vote on projects approved by the MTC. The CATS department was created when the transit tax was approved and it replaced the old CTA and took over all it's operations. It's handled this way because CATS as a large transit operator, is also eligible for significant transit funding outside the transit tax. They receive a considerable amount from the feds and state to run the buses.

It should also be noted the county council has the power from the state to end the transit tax and suspend further implementation of the 2030 plan.

Light rail managed by CATS, a city department. The FUNDS came from a multitude of sources, as I acknowledged. But the project was built and is managed by CATS, the city if Charlotte

Independence is managed by the NCDOT. The FUNDS come from a multitude of sources, as I acknowledged. But the road is built and maintained by NCDOT.

The point being made is that the CITY is a heckuva lot more efficient with transit/transportation projects and the clownishly slow pace of 74 construction is not a reflection on CITY leadership or project management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte