U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times

Advertisements

The other day I was having an adult conversation and a kid kept screaming to get our attention. Eventually, he went to sleep..

I noticed a guy being handcuffed outside of the Library on Monroe (no idea what the crime was)...

I wonder if Libraries are being targeted by thieves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,053,737 times
I waw at Chipotle Grill on South Blvd. Parked next to me in a BMW was an opened Louis Vuitton bag all contents exposed and an iPhone sitting on the console. What was the owner thinking? Don't get me wrong I oppose crime but feel that we as well as the criminals have some responsibility.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,065,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
I waw at Chipotle Grill on South Blvd. Parked next to me in a BMW was an opened Louis Vuitton bag all contents exposed and an iPhone sitting on the console. What was the owner thinking? Don't get me wrong I oppose crime but feel that we as well as the criminals have some responsibility.
I have been told that here in Charlotte, stealing a designer handbag for the handbag itself (which can be sold for over $1000 as a "used" handbag) is common. They mug women for the handbag NOT the contents in it. Anyone walking around with a designer handbag is putting themselves at risk.

Not only that, I had a police officer tell me that here in South Charlotte, designer handbags attract the attention of thugs hanging around in parking lots, who then follow the woman home and accost her as she is going into her house, and then they rob the home, as well. The assumption is - a woman with a designer handbag and upscale car is wealthy and so her home will be a treasure trove of electronics and jewelry.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:47 AM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,727,347 times
In a somewhat related vein, I am stunned by the lack of addressing the criminal element in the gun control uproar. The administration and the Congress seem to be oblivious to the fact that there is often a criminal pulling the trigger. Anyone committing a crime with a gun, should be put away for a long long time. But as in theft, the criminal is marginalized.

It ain't that hard!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have been told that here in Charlotte, stealing a designer handbag for the handbag itself (which can be sold for over $1000 as a "used" handbag) is common. They mug women for the handbag NOT the contents in it. Anyone walking around with a designer handbag is putting themselves at risk.

Not only that, I had a police officer tell me that here in South Charlotte, designer handbags attract the attention of thugs hanging around in parking lots, who then follow the woman home and accost her as she is going into her house, and then they rob the home, as well. The assumption is - a woman with a designer handbag and upscale car is wealthy and so her home will be a treasure trove of electronics and jewelry.
Most times the designer handbag is more expensive than the contents inside. The only problem with this method is the knock off bag is popular now.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM

820 posts, read 1,531,382 times
I will forgo the sermon; I know you and the wife get it, as it were. A smash and grab takes less than 10 seconds. Thieves will smash a window in a car if there's anything showing. These crooks were amateurs and did not take an extra two or three seconds to scope out the backseat. A jacket can be traded for a couple of cigarettes on the street.

As for the folks who want to rant about about the way the system treats offenders, I respectfully submit that people who complain the loudest have never been a victim of a crime and or they are doing nothing about the problem. From personal experience, I worked for a few qualified candidates for District judge. I did my homework, attended community forums where the candidates spoke and or debated issues. Three "nice" people - two men and one woman - were elected over the best and well grounded in *criminal* law. If people believe the system is disgraceful - and it is - voters need to look in the mirror to see the problem with our criminal justice system. If we want offenders convicted and held accountable, we need to get behind candidates who enforce the law vs trying to legislate and be social workers from the bench. Voters need to ignore and do their own research and not be taken in by the Observer's endorsements, the Bar Association's ratings (what a joke) and endorsement by the highly partisan (spelled Democrat) Black Caucus. Note: before someone drops the "R" word, three of the most qualified candidates were elected - Judge Hands, who had opposition, Judge Eddy-Williams and Superior Court Judge Mimms-Evans who did not have opposition. They happen to be black and from observations, stick to the law - as written.

If people have a problem with our laws, they need to write their legislators. And, if people don't know the name of their legislator, they can find it be calling the Board of Elections and then they can write the honorables in Raleigh and tell them to do things like repeal the Racial Justice Act and stop the nonsense of raising the juvenile age from 16-to 18, which too many social do-gooders want to do and consequently make our city less safe than it is now from thugs.

(Rant over) Call you next case.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,946,361 times
^The police spends too much time arresting people for non-violent crime i.e. gambling, simple pot possession, etc. and this is what clogs up the criminal justice system.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,301,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
^The police spends too much time arresting people for non-violent crime i.e. gambling, simple pot possession, etc. and this is what clogs up the criminal justice system.
Agreed. Far too many resources are wasted on crimes that shouldn't be crimes.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:03 PM

870 posts, read 3,211,493 times
Many years ago, I was in a job position that brought me face to face with management at a few auto headquarters, and asked why unbreakable glass couldn't be used in all cars, specifically for this reason of smash and grab robberies. Was told by management that they already have that type of glass and it could be done but they would have to upcharge for the glass by a few thousand dollars even though it is not that expensive to them.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,646,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Agreed. Far too many resources are wasted on crimes that shouldn't be crimes.
What percentage of resources are wasted on crimes that shouldn't be crimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte