Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM

529 posts, read 1,193,599 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics lifted from Charmeck.org.

New hourly parking/car rental deck and main terminal:

Concourse B expansion

Concourse E expansion

Eventual new international concourse (if justified by traffic)

New runway that NW/SW Charlotte residents will love :

Additionally, it appears that another food court will be constructed between concourses D & E.

More renders:
View from the west. Notice the structure between the existing daily decks and the new rental car deck:

Looks like parking decks are planned for what is currently the "Daily North" open air lot.

Last edited by Oldsmobile; 01-09-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,262,818 times
I just hope that the overlook area isn't removed. The airport growth is GREAT and will continue to fuel metro Charlotte's growth for years to come. However, Charlotte does have one of the best runway overlooks. Such things are rare, so we're lucky to have it.

Charlotte-Douglas Airport Overlook - YouTube

The new runway has been sold to the public as a runway that will reduce the number of low flying planes over neighborhoods. This maybe true. However, IMO the 12,000 ft runway (the longest at the airport when completed) will be for direct flights overseas mostly. Those overseas flights carry more fuel (think 63,000 gallons at a weight of 6.8 pounds per gallon for the "big birds" out there). As a result, they need a longer runway in order to reach a proper take-off speed. The bigger airports like Atlanta has a 12,000 footer already. The fact that Charlotte is now getting one is a very good sign.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-09-2013 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:35 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,100,472 times
I welcome more flights to Europe!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:44 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,934,257 times
I hope they will make better accommodations for people without tickets who come to the airport to wait on people.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,655,325 times
Expanding the E terminal? Walking to the current end of E (either branch) is already a long enough hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I hope they will make better accommodations for people without tickets who come to the airport to wait on people.
What would you like to see in this regard?

The only thing CLT does not have outside of security that some other airports do is any type of restaurant or bar, which would be nice to have while waiting (at least a small cafe or something). But whenever I have gone inside to pick up anyone from the airport, I am usually not there for more than 15 minutes. Its so easy nowadays to track flights in real-time online that it is fairly easy to know when a plane will actually touch down - the only unexpected delays for arrivals anymore is when one gets delayed on the tarmac before taxiing in to their gate.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM

905 posts, read 3,440,834 times
I feel sorry for connecting passengers who have to walk from Concourse E to the new Int'l Concourse. That will be a nightmare!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
So will the whole rental car facility be inside now?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I feel sorry for connecting passengers who have to walk from Concourse E to the new Int'l Concourse. That will be a nightmare!

You mean the passengers from the end of "E" to the end of "B"? As far as I know, there will be a connected bridge from E to the International Terminal. Charlotte was built to be a transfer Hub so they kept it in mind.

If this expansion gets completed, US Airways would Rival American Airlines Dallas Hub as the 2nd largest airline hub in the world, or probably 8th in total flights in the world. Delta at Atlanta is above and beyond and always will be the undisputed largest airline hub in the world. Charlotte & Atlanta are the best two positioned airline hubs. ATL has size on its side (population wise) hence is bigger than CLT

There's not a city Close to our size that even comes close to the operations CLT has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
So will the whole rental car facility be inside now?
Yes and I believe it will save the airport money from havin to run buses (though I thought the rental car companies paid for it themselves. Guess not?) as you can simply walk right out and they'll all be right there.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 4,843,779 times
Are they going to do anything about the long term parking? I think that the lots they have are disgraceful. Rolling suitcases and walking over the gravel is a pain and people park in every little nook and cranny, along the fences, because there isn't enough places, especially when only one lot is open at a time. I think this would have been something to be more towards the top of the list. It's one thing to be able to have all these flights, but if people don't have anywhere to park they aren't going to be happy. And they surely aren't going to want to pay the high prices for the decks if they are going to be gone a longer time.

Although I don't have experience parking in a lot of different airports, they should take a look at what Pittsburgh, PA did for their long term parking. Paved, very well lit lots, with a set route for the shuttle buses to take and lots of well lit shuttle stops. Plus they are patrolled by the county as well as airport security so you feel a bit safer when you come in late at night or leave early in the AM. Plus lots of booths for paying with cash or credit and they also have a bar code that you can get for frequent fliers that works something like EZ Pass. And the very close long term was within walking access to the enclosed moving walkways.

But then again, I guess CLT would want to be careful about what they spend and build as we all know what happened at PGH.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times
I thought most of the long-term parking is paved? I've never had a problem with the long-term parking at CLT and actually prefer using it, partially due to cost and partially due to the ease of getting in/out from 85. The shuttles aren't as often, but they have more stops within each lot so you don't have a far walk to your car and as a result, I've never felt unsafe there. As far as people parking in every nook and cranny, I think that is more a result of people ignoring the workers directing traffic. I think every time I go there I see a person in front of me blowing by in the opposite direction that they're being directed.

Admittedly I think I've only used the Daily 1 or 2 times. Is it even walkable from the daily lots to the terminal? All I remember is one of the first times I used the Daily (garage), I was not a fan of how there was only one shuttle stop for 2 garages, and actually had to wait for a 2nd bus to come because the line was so long to get on.

What I would like to see is more sidewalks along the roads. I've parked in long-term and rented a car a couple times, and the walk to the rental car area from there can be pretty treacherous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte