Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times

Advertisements

There is a blog piece from the Observer today that reveals some tension between the newly elected chairman, Democrat Pat Cotham and one (of three) general managers. The county manager then responded in favor of his assistant.

Are these jobs really bulletproof? Is this insubordination? Cotham is building a reputation as someone asking a lot of questions about how things work with a "raised eyebrow". It appears to me at first glance that she's rocking the boat and the crew doesn't like it.

I'm going to quote Wayne Powers who is a talking head but I don't know exactly what he does. I think he might be a tad paranoid since he posts a warning to government about lifting images from his Facebook page but I'm too lazy to look up the salary:

"County General Manager MICHELLE LANCASTER-SANDLIN, who draws a taxpayer-funded fat-cat bureaucrat salary of $179,739 --- plus a benefit/retirement package that most folks can only dream of"

Read the rant here if you have FB: http://www.facebook.com/waynepowers

I'm going to quote the Observer blog entry quotes that are public records.

From Lancaster:

"Perhaps, if you would take the time to talk to staff and ask questions instead of leaping to inaccurate conclusions we could have a productive and useful dialogue about what is right for the community and Mecklenburg County.

"I will note that I emailed you twice this weekend, telephoned you and sent a text offering to meet with you to answer questions and provide information - you declined to respond. I can only assume that means you are not interested in understanding the facts."[LEFT]
Read more here: O-pinion: County leader jabs at Mecklenburg chairman Cotham
[/LEFT]

I'm sure if I talked like that to my boss I'd be gone. Especially if I CC: others which she did.

Jones adds:

"... Some of our staff feel that you have made comments that devalue and demean them. Michelle Lancaster's email to you today is a tiny reflection of that sentiment," Jones wrote. "You shared your thoughts that you felt her email was 'rude.' ... We disagree. We have a very competent staff that understands that the success of this organization has been built on trust and teamwork by and between the staff and elected officials."

O-pinion: County leader jabs at Mecklenburg chairman Cotham
[LEFT]
Read more here: O-pinion: County leader jabs at Mecklenburg chairman Cotham
[/LEFT]

It's good to know that the county staff is very competent. I wonder what outside firm determined that.

Not sure there's anything to discuss. I doubt anyone here will be shocked or taken aback. But I do think we should share as regular citizens when sparks fly with people that work for us.

NOTE: Any opinions expressed in this posting are mine and mine alone. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of Mecklenburg County, the City of Charlotte, or the Supreme Court of North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: