U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:43 AM

22 posts, read 55,099 times

Advertisements

RE: I need direction from those who have transplanted themselves from other parts of the country and or don't mind honest answers from native [SIZE=3]Carolinians[/SIZE].

I'm looking for information about people who relocated from anywhere in the country to NC, especially if your from the NE. I would like all opinions about Charlotte, I lived in Raleigh for one year and was forced to return to NJ( very short did not get to settle in and learn about the state). I would like to know more about how you feel with the transition to this state, everything from the good to the bad. If you can bring up the culture, how diverse is Charlotte. In general, where is the best place to raise children, i.e. schools etc. Also can you recommend the best school districts? Do the children play outside, how natives treat children not from the region. What activities are there for the children to do? I'm trying to transfer back to be closer to my family that lives in Raleigh, NC. I am unable to transfer to Raleigh, but I can go to Charlotte.

Please feel free to open up and tell it like it really is! I know MS13 is a major problem in the area, I understand the place is growing exponentially. I need more specific from individuals’ who have transplanted and have lived there for a few years.

Thank you,
To All those who respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM

3,423 posts, read 9,227,117 times
We're originally from CT. I knew a long time ago that I wanted to move South, to either NC or GA. Well, the economy tanked, massive layoffs ensued, the company we were working for was bought out, and we found ourselves relocating to Upstate NY in order to keep our jobs. We were there for four rather miserable years, while I kept trying to land a job somewhere South. I remember flying down to W-S in April. It was sunny and warm and just beautiful. I remember how bumbed I was flying back to NY and passing over the newly fallen snow in the Adirondacks. Finally, relief came when I was offered a position at Wachovia in W-S. They were able to locate a job for my wife at another company in Greensboro. So, we lived in W-S for a while, moved to Greensboro for a while, and finally settled in-between in Jamestown. We were both able to find friends of many different ethnic and social backgrounds in both work and in our neighborhoods. Finally, after a period of time, I was offered a position from a company in Charlotte, which lead us to our current location in Huntersville. We, once again, live in a neighborhood of different ethnic and social backgrounds, and have made friends with the neighbors all around us, and even some in other adjoining neighborhoods.

Never once did we have an issue with adapting, since I guess coming from New England, that it's not much of a change.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin Mets View Post
RE: I need direction from those who have transplanted themselves from other parts of the country and or don't mind honest answers from native [SIZE=3]Carolinians[/SIZE].

I'm looking for information about people who relocated from anywhere in the country to NC, especially if your from the NE. I would like all opinions about Charlotte, I lived in Raleigh for one year and was forced to return to NJ( very short did not get to settle in and learn about the state). I would like to know more about how you feel with the transition to this state, everything from the good to the bad. If you can bring up the culture, how diverse is Charlotte. In general, where is the best place to raise children, i.e. schools etc. Also can you recommend the best school districts? Do the children play outside, how natives treat children not from the region. What activities are there for the children to do? I'm trying to transfer back to be closer to my family that lives in Raleigh, NC. I am unable to transfer to Raleigh, but I can go to Charlotte.

Please feel free to open up and tell it like it really is! I know MS13 is a major problem in the area, I understand the place is growing exponentially. I need more specific from individuals’ who have transplanted and have lived there for a few years.

Thank you,
To All those who respond.

I'll let recent transplants address your questions from a newcomers point of view, BUT, I have to say that while there are MS 13 gang members here it is no where near a "major problem". We have seen the introduction of gangs to Charlotte in the last 6 years or so, but their numbers are still relatively low and hopefully with the programs our sheriff and police department have in place they won't explode.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,537,021 times
umm... with all the ppl from ny, nj, and fla (of which 3/4 of them from ny or nj anyhow) how much different could charlotte be than ny or nj?

i read where banking is huge in charlotte, and ny'ers are locating there...

Old 10-18-2007, 04:46 PM

36 posts, read 115,061 times
(my opinion) don't come without a job

Old 10-18-2007, 06:05 PM

I appreciate the feedback, my family likes NJ, but miss the southern hospitality, affordability and beautiful landscape. Much appreciated my friend from CT. If possible, can you recommend an area thats diverse and has some NE folk.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Default reply to lovemountains.

I'll let recent transplants address your questions from a newcomers point of view, BUT, I have to say that while there are MS 13 gang members here it is no where near a "major problem". We have seen the introduction of gangs to Charlotte in the last 6 years or so, but their numbers are still relatively low and hopefully with the programs our sheriff and police department have in place they won't explode.

I work in law enforcement and have some inside information about this gang, if you are law enforcement or have family, I wouldn't mind some insight.
I appreciate your feedback, do you have any recommendations as where to live?

Old 10-19-2007, 04:16 AM

125 posts, read 341,844 times
Hey! Back to your original question about "Where to Live?" I also lived in Raleigh-3 out of 4 kids born there-Youngsville, Rolesville and North Raleigh. Moved to Union County over 7 years ago and love it! More like Rolesville and Youngsville but close to South Charlotte-similar to North Raleigh. It is Area 10 in MLS search. Schools are well sought after and apprecating homes. Right now new construction has caused a large inventory of resales and can get a great deal. Hope this helps!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,017 times
Default area west of Monroe on Airport Rd

I have family in this subdivision and it's out in the country but there are new stores like Target and grocery a few miles away. Don't live in Charlotte.
[MOD] url removed[/MOD]

Last edited by autumngal; 03-08-2008 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: no links to forums or message boards please, ty

Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
MS-13?? Hmm..Not to get off topic here but I'm thinking a gang is not going to attack just any ordinary person?? I'm assuming it would have to be "gang related"??? Also, I'm sure my H&K 45 will be much better than a machete. Should the need arise (maybe I should update my target practice before moving to the wild wild west area of Charlotte)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or