U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 AM

177 posts, read 388,703 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering cutting the TWC cable cord but can't get around the fact that you can't watch live sports except those aired on local channels (at least I think you can't). If you've cut the cord, have you found any way to watch a game that's on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc, or a golf match on Golf Channel?

I looked here: Anyone in Charlotte use a Digital TV Antenna?
but didn't see this answered. However, there's a good bit of info on setting up your antenna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:11 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
Seriously considering cutting the TWC cable cord but can't get around the fact that you can't watch live sports except those aired on local channels (at least I think you can't). If you've cut the cord, have you found any way to watch a game that's on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc, or a golf match on Golf Channel?

I looked here: Anyone in Charlotte use a Digital TV Antenna?
but didn't see this answered. However, there's a good bit of info on setting up your antenna.
ESPN3 shows a lot of sports online...choppy but getting better, not sure if Roku or any other devices have committed to live sports.

I have Verizon cell phone and I had the NFLN on my phone for $5 a month. Red Zone package was awesome but it's still on a small device.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,268,113 times
We don't have cable. I cut it off 3 years ago. I follow a guy on twitter that streams every steeler and penguins game for free and i have a website that streams every live sporting event known to man. now the steeler and pens game feeds are perfect.. he does 2 one in SD and one in HD. The other site has some flaws its full of spam and the picture quaility is sometimes poor, but it beats paying cable.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM

359 posts, read 504,374 times
I just go to the streaming websites...they are out there.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,382,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
ESPN3 shows a lot of sports online...choppy but getting better, not sure if Roku or any other devices have committed to live sports.

I have Verizon cell phone and I had the NFLN on my phone for $5 a month. Red Zone package was awesome but it's still on a small device.
Apple TV offers (for an extra fee) MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, and NHL Center Ice, among others.

You'll still have to get your internet connection from somewhere.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 AM

11,723 posts, read 9,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Apple TV offers (for an extra fee) MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, and NHL Center Ice, among others.

You'll still have to get your internet connection from somewhere.
I have an Apple TV but wouldn't spend the money on those sports...

129.00 for 5 NBA teams or 189.00 for all of the games for a season is crazy but I guess if you really love the sport it's a good idea.

I did see the MLB extra innings and while I would never buy it I think it's a good product. Someone had it on their laptop and it had multiple camera angles and all types of stats while viewing the game live.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,954,000 times
IMO, the professional sports franchises and possibly some of the colleges would be having serious cash flow problems if the "sports seat tax" from cable subscriptions were to disappear. I've read that ESPN alone is responsible for about $5 of the basic cable bill. So they are not likely to make it easy to view live sports without cable or sat. because they will do everything they can to protect this cash cow.

In other words, if you want to watch the play, you will have to pay.

If you really want to watch a lot of mainstream American sports then you probably should stick to a cable subscription. You won't find anything comparable via Internet streaming. If you do cut the cord, then what you do get OTA however is quite excellent HD picture quality wise. Satellite and cable simply don't compare to it. You can find a lot of non-mainstream and foriegn sports on a Roku that you don't normally see on TV.

(I don't watch that much sports so when I cut the cord 12 months ago it wasn't a big deal. I haven't missed cable at all.)

Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Actually looking to buy my own DVR and go with Direct TV now. WAY cheaper than TWC and renting the darn DVR box. Gotta have the sports live, so a $29/mo fee for basic Direct TV (including ESPN + others) is great compared to over $100 for TWC (when renting DVR).

Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
If you've cut the cord, have you found any way to watch a game
that's on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc, or a golf match on Golf Channel?
Buy a couple cases of decent beer.

On game day... walk over to a neighbors house with a cold six pack.
Spread the joy around some.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM

I just called TWC with every intention of cancelling and moving to a basic Direct TV package (for waaaay less $$), but was willing to hear them out if they wanted to lower the price and keep me as a customer. Nope- they didn't even try; just cancelled without asking if they could do anything to keep me. I'm always hearing of people getting sent to retention, but they had no problem with me cancelling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte