U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
.... (Gruden?) ....
This would be Bruton Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports and also founder & CEO of Sonic Automotive (one of Charlotte's Fortune 500 companies).

I'd say he'd have the resources to do it.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:55 PM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This would be Bruton Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports and also founder & CEO of Sonic Automotive (one of Charlotte's Fortune 500 companies).

I'd say he'd have the resources to do it.
I didn't buy the claim he wouldn't ask for tax dollars because he kept talking about how he was lied to about getting $80 million for the track. Why complain if you don't need it?

I bet he said it to win over some people who aren't in favor of the tax for the upgrades and hopes they will come out to the track instead. It sounded good but it also sounded "too good to be true" because he knows Jerry won't sell him the team.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I didn't buy the claim he wouldn't ask for tax dollars because he kept talking about how he was lied to about getting $80 million for the track. Why complain if you don't need it?...
Actually Charlotte Motor Speedway was built without tax money. It's been constantly upgraded over the decades without it. It's a great example of a sports venue, that can easily handle 250,000 people, that was built without the need for public assistance.

The project that he is speaking about is the zMax Dragway that was built across the street from the Speedway. After construction began the Concord city council decided to stop the construction by rezoning the land to prevent its construction. When that happened, Smith threatened to close the entire Speedway down and move it to SC. The city council did a 180, reversed its decision on the rezoning, and tossed in a promise of $80M to sweeten the pot, to keep Smith in Concord. In other words, this mess was caused by city political meddling. Then as it turns out, I don't think Smith ever got the money. This is what he is referring to.

IMO, Smith is telling the truth. He has never held the government hostage for huge tax payouts for venue upgrades. He is an example of someone that shows that it can be done as the Speedway is far far more complex than either BofA Stadium or TWC Arena.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
The project that he is speaking about is the zMax Dragway that was built across the street from the Speedway. After construction began the Concord city council decided to stop the construction by rezoning the land to prevent its construction. When that happened, Smith threatened to close the entire Speedway down and move it to SC. The city council did a 180, reversed its decision on the rezoning, and tossed in a promise of $80M to sweeten the pot, to keep Smith in Concord. In other words, this mess was caused by city political meddling. Then as it turns out, I don't think Smith ever got the money. This is what he is referring to.
AND got a road named after him so the politicians that were against him have to see it when they drive by. Plus it's awkward for the non Sonic automotive places that are on that road. But that's what you get for screwing around.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM

11,717 posts, read 9,341,825 times
Quote:
Actually Charlotte Motor Speedway was built without tax money. It's been constantly upgraded over the decades without it. It's a great example of a sports venue, that can easily handle 250,000 people, that was built without the need for public assistance.

IMO, Smith is telling the truth. He has never held the government hostage for huge tax payouts for venue upgrades. He is an example of someone that shows that it can be done as the Speedway is far far more complex than either BofA Stadium or TWC Arena.
thx for the info... if this is so than maybe he is genuine.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Don Reid fighting against Panthers subsidy | Pundit House

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM

83 posts, read 162,296 times
One issue is that Bruton Smith is in his 80s. While he personally may not seek public funding or move the team, would his successor(s)?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreat View Post
One issue is that Bruton Smith is in his 80s. While he personally may not seek public funding or move the team, would his successor(s)?
Didn't realize he was that old. He could have babysat Richardson.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:04 PM

This is an interesting development. Two members of the General Assembly are stating that if they grant Charlotte the right to raise food taxes to pay for Richardson's upgrades, they may require that Charlotte hold a referendum first. I can imagine that won't go down well in some quarters. Still even with that, it doesn't seem like a done deal.

The NFL and Taxes: Carolina Panthers seek state aid, want tax increase

Richardson BTW was crass enough to say when asked why he doesn't pay for the upgrades himself, "Because They Don't Have To" (they = owners of cove NFL franchise).

Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,469,687 times
It has taken almost a decade, but I think Charlotte has finally warmed up some to Time-Warner Arena since it draws music acts, the circus, etc. But the Bobcats still get the "big shrug."

Richardson and the Panthers used to garner goodwill in the community by having set a better example. If he milks millions out of the tax payers, I have to wonder if locals will begin to chill on his team as well.

I know many people in my circle who have never been to any of the major league sports events. They'd rather just watch them on TV, and feel like ticket prices are too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte