Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Just heard on the radio that Mez club and theater are closing in 2 weeks. They said a new tenant is lined up but didn't say who and the movie theater would stay open.

Owners of Epicenter said they wanted to expand their consumer base to include families and change the perception of Epicenter being a night club...

I wonder if this is another way of saying NC Music Factory is killing our biz and we are tired of the same crowd dancing to the oontz oontz every night. I went there one time and after a half hour I couldn't take it anymore.... every song was thump, thump, thump, thump.

Also wonder if turning away anyone who didn't look like an MTV wanna be reality star hurt the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:09 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Just heard on the radio that Mez club and theater are closing in 2 weeks. They said a new tenant is lined up but didn't say who and the movie theater would stay open.

Owners of Epicenter said they wanted to expand their consumer base to include families and change the perception of Epicenter being a night club...

I wonder if this is another way of saying NC Music Factory is killing our biz and we are tired of the same crowd dancing to the oontz oontz every night. I went there one time and after a half hour I couldn't take it anymore.... every song was thump, thump, thump, thump.

Also wonder if turning away anyone who didn't look like an MTV wanna be reality star hurt the business.
I thought they only turned away black people.

Attached Thumbnails
Mez closing in a week-wub-oonse.jpg  

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I thought they only turned away black people.

Only when we wear our hats backwards.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I enjoyed this place being without kids and teens. Im sure NC Factory is killing there business as there lots of clubs there and no parking decks for now.

Paying to park or taking light rail just to go see a movie at the Mez for those of us beyond clubbing afterwards is just to much. Especially when you can just wait a month and it will be out on Blue Ray.

It going to take more than movies on Sponge Bob or adding tired idea of family friendly Mexican restaurant to attract people to the Epicentre.

Epicentre could be the catalyst in bringing shopping Uptown and I hope when H&M chooses Charlotte this would be there location but I'm not sure if there enough square footage but they would have the market in that location.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I enjoyed this place being without kids and teens. Im sure NC Factory is killing there business as there lots of clubs there and no parking decks for now.

Paying to park or taking light rail just to go see a movie at the Mez for those of us beyond clubbing afterwards is just to much. Especially when you can just wait a month and it will be out on Blue Ray.

It going to take more than movies on Sponge Bob or adding tired idea of family friendly Mexican restaurant to attract people to the Epicentre.

Epicentre could be the catalyst in bringing shopping Uptown and I hope when H&M chooses Charlotte this would be there location but I'm not sure if there enough square footage but they would have the market in that location.
All jokes aside, Epicentre was designed with a 50-story condo tower on top of it in mind. Until the current owners can figure out a way to add 1,000 residents to that complex (as originally planned) it will be tough getting the foot traffic that such a complex needs/deserves. Outside of business hours and weekend clubbing, Epicentre is rather dead to be quite honest. This is where the residential portion of the project is badly missed.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM

When I first moved here I went to the Epicenter all the time but the parking IS a hassle and I grew tired of it... and also didn't like the gamble of trying to get into Mez. I'm 2 for 4... haven't tried ina while but part of that is due to not wanting to ruin a good night out with friends from out of town.

I prefer NC Music Factory but I don't go out that often... if I was younger I would love that place but drunk young kids are annoying once you hit a certain age.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Guys, Mez is not closing because it was “going out of business”. It’s closing because the new owners of the Epicentre are kicking them out. Mez was a left over operation from that crook Ghazi, the previous owner. The place was doing a ton of business, and as others said in the other thread, parking was free if you saw a movie. I’ve been several times and never paid for parking. The new owners are supposed to announce the new operation soon. It will more than likely be the same concept. For example, I wouldn’t be suproised if its one of these two chains or another one very similar that quickly fills that spot. CinéBistro or Home - Cinebarre - Eat. Drink. Watch Movies. ®

Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Guys, Mez is not closing because it was “going out of business”. It’s closing because the new owners of the Epicentre are kicking them out. Mez was a left over operation from that crook Ghazi, the previous owner. The place was doing a ton of business, and as others said in the other thread, parking was free if you saw a movie. I’ve been several times and never paid for parking. The new owners are supposed to announce the new operation soon. It will more than likely be the same concept. For example, I wouldn’t be suproised if its one of these two chains or another one very similar that quickly fills that spot. CinéBistro or Home - Cinebarre - Eat. Drink. Watch Movies. ®
i don't think anyone said they were going out of business...

I still think NC Music Factory put a dent in their business and this is why they want to expand their consumer base.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Guys, Mez is not closing because it was “going out of business”.
My post might have sounded like I thought they were going out of business, but that is not what I meant. I'm at Epicentre regularly (via the light rail) so I am quite familiar with how busy the place can be. I also know that the place could do MUCH better if we ever get that condo/apartment tower built. With our current economy, a hotel/apartment combo would probably be best.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

189 posts, read 333,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
i don't think anyone said they were going out of business...

I still think NC Music Factory put a dent in their business and this is why they want to expand their consumer base.
NC Music Factory is having it's tenants close as well. What was a main attraction is now yesterday's news.

I Can’t Believe It’s Butter—Closed - Dusk Till Dawn - December 2012 - Charlotte, NC

And I agree this had more to do with Ghazi than Mez. On Mez's facebook their closing said to look for a new theater concept coming in February. So this wasn't as sudden as it sounds. Being that this is the closest movie theater to me where I enjoy a movie and a decent meal (turkey avacado burger for $7 vs popcorn/soda for $7 elsewhere) I've gone plenty of times to Mez and saw a wide consumer base including young families with middle school aged children coming in and out of theaters. So the apparent stigma of other establishments in Epicenter did not prevent a wide variety of people from going to see a movie there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte