Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times

Advertisements

The only food and movie place I've been to was the now defunct, Cinema & Daft House that was on Independence Blvd. I bet a few on this board remember that place. I think this was Charlotte's first of it's type business, when it opened in 1982. It lasted more than 10 years, which is good for any business anywhere.

Anyway, I am sure they have come a long way since. The C&DH was nice though. It had private, wall-in circular booths. My experience was positive for the most part. Yes, people talked, but not loud. Usually the movies were not first run movies. I kinda look forward to seeing how they've advanced so I will probably check out the new place. Of course, now we have people talking and texting AND eating meals...should be interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Regarding the food “smells”, I think you guys are forgetting the Mez theater used to serve food too, you just had to walk out and get it yourself. So the smell of food in the theater won't be anything new.
Exactly. I'm glad for the new service, sometimes the food prep was slow, and I'd miss part of the movie going to get it - not to mention needing to walk by other people on my way out & back in. Most people are respectful that it's a movie theater, and try to order early, and don't keep getting up. Hope the food is just as good! Mez's truffle fries with house-made ketchup, yum.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Studio Movie Grill will replace Mez

Studio Movie Grill

Old 01-25-2013, 07:16 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The only food and movie place I've been to was the now defunct, Cinema & Daft House that was on Independence Blvd. I bet a few on this board remember that place. I think this was Charlotte's first of it's type business, when it opened in 1982. It lasted more than 10 years, which is good for any business anywhere.

Anyway, I am sure they have come a long way since. The C&DH was nice though. It had private, wall-in circular booths. My experience was positive for the most part. Yes, people talked, but not loud. Usually the movies were not first run movies. I kinda look forward to seeing how they've advanced so I will probably check out the new place. Of course, now we have people talking and texting AND eating meals...should be interesting...
I remember it. It was at the old Albemarle/Independence intersection. Even back then before I learned about movies I realized I didn't like all the movement and distractions while I watched a movie.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
The theater is being replaced by something that allows you to order grill and booze from your seat. Question remains if they are going to replace all the seating. I guess so. The concept calls for at least chairs with trays but also some tables for groups and counters like a bar. They promise to not interrupt your movie experience when they deliver to others and surely dialing up a snack from your seat won't be distracting. Or smelling a lot of food. This doesn't sound good to me but I'll let someone else test and report back.

In Depth: 10 Dine-In Movie Theaters - Studio Movie Grill - Forbes.com

SMG: Eat, Drink, Movies

Studio Movie Grill replacing Mez, theater at EpiCentre | CharlotteObserver.com
So anybody been to this place yet?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I thought about it with the new Star Trek movie coming out since I saw the last one in that location (my Mom took me!). But I just can't get over the idea of having food delivered to the people in front of me. But yah, we need testimonials.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
We went a few weeks ago. I liked ordering and getting food without having to get up & miss part of the movie. They've rearranged the seating so it's not too obtrusive. BUT the food was mediocre and expensive, for what you got. It wasn't inedible, it just wasn't anything special. One appetizer, 3 entrees, 3 desserts, and 1 mixed drink came out to almost 85 dollars, including the tip - and it absolutely was NOT worth that. That didn't include the tickets; someone gave me passes for the movie itself. Tickets are usually $10.

I hate that I spent a Visa gift card on it. For that kind of money, I want our food to be really d**n good - and this wasn't above what you might find at cheap chains. Being able to eat a meal while watching a movie did not make it worth what we paid.

They do have lots of movie specials - tonight they're showing "Dumb & Dumber" for $1, and they've shown movies for a "girl's night out" for $1. So if you're JUST going to the movie and to have a drink it might be fun.

It was a disappointment.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:44 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,319,858 times
I like SMG.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 AM

40 posts, read 122,835 times
I like it too. The servers do a nice job of handling orders and being unobtrusive as possible. The food was good and IMO reasonably priced, especially considering that the tickets were only $10 ($5 with our Groupon!) and parking is validated. The theater is clean and the seating is comfortable. My only complaint is that the bathrooms seem like they need to be updated a bit, but guess that's minor complain in the scheme of things.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
I have a bunch of $5 promotional tickets... but I damn sure won't spend top dollar eating in a movie theatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte