U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If all you can find is 11 instances from 1971, i'd say that's a bit of a stretch.
And I'd say your short term memory is just as bad as your long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And I'd say your short term memory is just as bad as your long term.
And you are qualified to be the judge of this because.....? I lived here in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. Unless you were here too, I don't think you can make any claims.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
And you are qualified to be the judge of this because.....? I lived here in the 60s, 70s, & 80s. Unless you were here too, I don't think you can make any claims.
I'm judging it based on you saying that this "nonsense" is about 10 to 15 years old.

I translate that as saying that it wasn't called Uptown before 15 years ago but as early as perhaps 10 years ago. Maybe the problem isn't memory but math or calendar skills.

Ten years ago it was 2003. 15 years ago it was 1998. Neither of those dates is in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

You seem to imply that someone that was here during the above range and therefore lived through it is disqualified because they didn't live here twice as long ago.

In other words, someone that lived here from 1998 and before but after the 80s cannot make any claims. That is bigotry.

And I suppose you have no opinion on female reproductive rights since you've never birthed a child.

You then implied that all I could find was 11 instances from 1971. There aren't 11 instances cited in my message regarding 1971. There certainly were other instances going back further than 1971 and forward into the 80s well. This is more than 30 years not 15.

Since you are not in my head and therefore do not know what I found I can only assume you were referring to my post and therefore had a lapse in memory from my text compared to what you then said I found. You don't know what I found you only know what I wrote and your claim of 11 instances is wrong either way.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 3,940,876 times
Quote:
... That is bigotry.....
I do believe you have jumped the shark. LOL.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM

3,739 posts, read 3,262,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Lots of likely answers and reasons here. However, I had this explained to me thus when I asked a City Guide this question when we took a Segway Tour last year. The guide said, for right or wrong that the center of Charlotte is called Uptown because....

The junction of N/S Tryon and E/W Trade Streets is a few feet above the rest of town. Therefore, it is UP-town. Google Earth says 232 ft.

True or false? Discuss.
It used to be the highest elevation.

Re: Annexation

Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM

520 posts, read 770,090 times
Quote:
A good Google search is "jack wood charlotte uptown". One hit will be from WFAE which you can read or listen to online:

Episode 2: Uptown Vs. Downtown | WFAE

I want to see the original proclamation. Jack Wood apparently fought this battle going back to the 1950s and the claim is that it was always called Uptown.

I've asked the Mayor's office to provide a copy of the proclamation. If the can't or otherwise won't I'll file a public records request.

In 1980 the US Copyright office published a list of copyrighted entries up to 1978. This book had three references to Uptown Charlotte.

Charlotte Uptown Development Corporation (now Center City Partners) was formed in 1979.

Jet Magazine had several references to Uptown at least going back to the early 1980s.

Maps were printed as early as 1988 to help people find their way "Uptown"

In 1985 there was a study called "US-74, Independence Blvd Corridor Upgrading, Charlotte" which used the word Uptown.

Some notes from old city council minutes:

This was used in 1963:

"Permission should be granted to the Parking Lots for signs to be erected
at every corner of the Uptown Area indicating what direction parking
lots are available" - I found this funny. Sounds like a modern day problem. They also talked about merchants losing money because people scrambled to more their cars at 4:30 to avoid being towed.

In 1969 a 21 year old person appeared before the board and said he had never been "uptown" before. This was in quotes in the minutes.

In 1970 the phrase "shopping uptown" was used.

In 1971 an office building was refereed to as being "uptown" without the caps.

In fact "uptown" was used quite a bit starting in 1971.

Do post the records/pdf files you get.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Do post the records/pdf files you get.
The Mayor's office got back to me. They did a web search on the city's website and didn't find anything so it appears it's not at their fingertips.

I'll do a narrow public records request in hope that it won't take long to get a copy of the proclamation.

I think that document will give some idea of what the council was thinking about.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 AM

9,905 posts, read 9,276,953 times
It's always been downtown to me.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:49 AM

642 posts, read 986,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
It used to be the highest elevation.

Re: Annexation
It still is the highest point in the center of town that I can see. Within the context of Mecklenburg then yes, I agree but my impression was that this discussion was based around the reasons why the center of town was called Uptown or Downtown, in town and not about the highest elevated piece of land within the county. At least, that's what the thread title said.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
I don't have records with me but did do some research on an unrelated topic using Observers and the Charlotte News from the 1950s to the 1970s. I remember that the Chamber in the 1950s was pushing for it to be called downtown, but then in the late 60s was pushing for a new name. I do remember coming across "downtown" more often than "uptown." But "Uptown appears as well.

If you look at this clippings file from the Observer, which covers mostly the 1950s to about 1972, there is not an index for Uptown, but there are a few for downtown. However, the Downtown Charlotte Association changed its name in 1967 to Central Charlotte Association. So, they were moving away from downtown.

I think uptown is a holdover from earlier in the 20th century.

http://library.uncc.edu/sites/defaul...s-subjects.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte