Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post

True or false? Discuss.
I say false. As a long term native, I've always called it downtown. This "uptown" silliness is about 10-15 years old.

BTW Mecklenburg county's elevation ranges from the 400s to the 800s ft. above sea-level (I don't have the exact numbers) The highest point is somewhere in Derita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
I call it whatever comes out my mouth.. usually downtown but if uptown slips out it's not the end of the world.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:01 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Agreed

I think all natives know it as downtown.
Considering we're talking about an area thought of as an indian trading post, this struck me as odd. I know what you meant though.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I say false. As a long term native, I've always called it downtown. This "uptown" silliness is about 10-15 years old.
Not withstanding city proclamation in the 70s? So some guy worked hard to get this adopted and the city did it just to shut him up and then everyone else just ignored it for another 20 years?

Nobody in the early 90s used the term?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

BTW Mecklenburg county's elevation ranges from the 400s to the 800s ft. above sea-level (I don't have the exact numbers) The highest point is somewhere in Derita.
You're probably right, it is false. I think the guide's answer was based upon the fact that this junction is just about the highest point IN TOWN. For sure there are higher elevated places in Mecklenburg county.

I am not defending my post, it was just what I was told.

My guess is that someone noted this slight rise and decided that it really was a good piece of marketing to call the center of town uptown rather than downtown. On the other hand perhaps he just did not like the old Petula Clark song...

As a lifelong resident, you should know, I'da thought.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
I've lived here since 1966 and we always called it "downtown". And back then, everything in Charlotte was downtown. Belks, Sears, Ivey's, restaurants and several movie theaters.

Now, I remember this clearly but not certain of the exact year. A big stink was made, oh, I am guessing about 10 years ago, maybe less, when some new signs were put up along the John Belk Freeway. One of the directional signs at an exit ramp read "downtown". Not sure if it's still there to be honest, but I am sure someone in the political realm had it removed or replaced with one that read "uptown".

Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM

527 posts, read 919,833 times
The highest point in Charlotte? You may be surprised | WCNC.com Charlotte

Some research done.. look at the comments though..

Learning Why Downtown is Uptown at the DNC - Web Exclusives - September 2012

Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM

A good Google search is "jack wood charlotte uptown". One hit will be from WFAE which you can read or listen to online:

Episode 2: Uptown Vs. Downtown | WFAE

I want to see the original proclamation. Jack Wood apparently fought this battle going back to the 1950s and the claim is that it was always called Uptown.

I've asked the Mayor's office to provide a copy of the proclamation. If the can't or otherwise won't I'll file a public records request.

In 1980 the US Copyright office published a list of copyrighted entries up to 1978. This book had three references to Uptown Charlotte.

Charlotte Uptown Development Corporation (now Center City Partners) was formed in 1979.

Jet Magazine had several references to Uptown at least going back to the early 1980s.

Maps were printed as early as 1988 to help people find their way "Uptown"

In 1985 there was a study called "US-74, Independence Blvd Corridor Upgrading, Charlotte" which used the word Uptown.

Some notes from old city council minutes:

This was used in 1963:

"Permission should be granted to the Parking Lots for signs to be erected
at every corner of the Uptown Area indicating what direction parking
lots are available" - I found this funny. Sounds like a modern day problem. They also talked about merchants losing money because people scrambled to more their cars at 4:30 to avoid being towed.

In 1969 a 21 year old person appeared before the board and said he had never been "uptown" before. This was in quotes in the minutes.

In 1970 the phrase "shopping uptown" was used.

In 1971 an office building was refereed to as being "uptown" without the caps.

In fact "uptown" was used quite a bit starting in 1971.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I've lived here since 1966 and we always called it "downtown". And back then, everything in Charlotte was downtown. Belks, Sears, Ivey's, restaurants and several movie theaters.

Now, I remember this clearly but not certain of the exact year. A big stink was made, oh, I am guessing about 10 years ago, maybe less, when some new signs were put up along the John Belk Freeway. One of the directional signs at an exit ramp read "downtown". Not sure if it's still there to be honest, but I am sure someone in the political realm had it removed or replaced with one that read "uptown".
I don't know if it's the same but there was (maybe is) a sign on Ind. blvd that had an exit near Commonwealth I think (used to be whee Ind. exited from itself).

Also the website for the DNC started off by calling it downtown.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post

In fact "uptown" was used quite a bit starting in 1971.
If all you can find is 11 instances from 1971, i'd say that's a bit of a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte